pasted_image (resized).png
15111325914172121433308 (resized).jpg
TP-pf down-c-web (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_3306 (resized).JPG
IM.jpg
4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f (resized).jpg
Swing Along (resized).jpg
20171009_211506 (resized).jpg
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I recently purchased an X Files and have found it to be one of the more brutal pins that I've played. The shots are extremely tight (but satisfying to hit), and the ball can shoot towards and into the outlane in a split second. Most of my games last under 5 minutes, and I don't think I've had a game that lasted longer than 10 minutes.

I've found that it is a really good pin to sharpen my skills on. I have to be super alert anytime the ball goes near the outlanes and often proactively nudge upward to keep the ball in play. I've gotten better at this. My shot accuracy has also improved a bit.

I thought about adjusting the settings to make it a bit easier, but I love how brutal it is and what it does for my overall playing ability. So, I've kept the tilt warnings to a minimum, have the tilt bob be fairly sensitive, and haven't adjusted any of the default settings to award extra balls based on points or what not.

Having this experience, I'm wondering what other hard pins are out there that help with one's skills. Are all brutal pins good for sharpening skills, or are some better than others?

#2 6 years ago

Im a big fan of my Super Orbit for honing skills. I usually send my friends there first and then go up from there.

#3 6 years ago

Firepower and Black Hole come to mind. Brutal games can be fun to own, since you don't have to pump quarters into them.

#4 6 years ago

Shadow and TWD have both made me a better player.

#5 6 years ago

F14 Tomcat/Ironman/Whirlwind/TWD/to name a few that been in my history of pins
Congrats on the X Files game you got, Pinballing is great even if you have short ball times

#6 6 years ago

Two Words - IRON MAN

#7 6 years ago

This one right here!! I finally learned to nudge better.

20171009_211506 (resized).jpg20171009_211506 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Of the pins I've owned, BSD, TWD, and IM were the most brutal.

I can't wait to try TNA. Looks like another tough one.

#12 6 years ago

Tron. Super fast and shots are tight, require major timing.

#13 6 years ago

Another vote for BSD.

That is until I play pinballmanic40's SW........

#14 6 years ago

TWD has definitely made me better but I’d say that Rob Zombie has improved me the most. You have to make your shots or fight like hell to get the ball back under control

#15 6 years ago

My 1963 Gottlieb Swing-Along kicks my ass. 2 inch flippers, no inlanes, a middle pop bumper when hit fires the ball SDTM, and a tilt that ends your game. AND you have to aim and nudge your way to light the pops and slings. It ain't easy. You guys all complain about the flipper gap on Ghostbusters... but at least Ghostbusters has a ball save.

Swing Along (resized).jpgSwing Along (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

F14 learn to slow the game down.
RZ is so brutal, very frustrating.

#17 6 years ago

Paragon (Bally, 1979)
Those that have played a proper example, will understand what I am trying to share.
The game teaches use of immediate trajectory angle shooting and flipper impulse control.
A player cannot simply try to catch and hold balls, or do a direct flipper pass.
There are no means to easily transfer the ball left and right at the bottom of the playfield.
Shots are very exacting.

Long before the previously mentioned games were concepted in the solid state era and in some cases well over 30+ years.

Games previous to 1976 (including wood rails from the 1950s) required a different type of skill sets that used today.
They cannot be used to compare solid state games play styles.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Two Words - IRON MAN

I don't think IM is nearly as brutal as TWD. I have both and the latter routinely kicks my ass.

#20 6 years ago

Stars, Meteor, any Steve Kirk game, really.

Clearly most gottlieb em's...

That said, any of the double flipper games:paragon, Harlem Globe Trotters, Alien Poker, etc.

Also: 8ball Deluxe.

From the modern era: wheel of fortune (surprisingly), TWD, TZ...that right outlane

#21 6 years ago

Tommy... for 2 reasons, Learning to use an upper flipper for tight shot during multiball, and playing all balls with Blinders activated.
Playing blind sharpens timing and anticipation of ball location.

#22 6 years ago

I500.

No where to hide. Fast as hell.

#23 6 years ago

EBD, Catacomb, Dragonfist.

#24 6 years ago

Star Wars is a good call. That pin is so hard. Outlanes on AFM are brutal too.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I500.
No where to hide. Fast as hell.

Agreed. I love the challenge of this pin.

#26 6 years ago

I vote for Flash Gordon

#27 6 years ago

Safecracker. After playing a few games on it and getting used to the small flippers, other machines seem super easy with their large flippers

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Paragon (Bally, 1979)
Those that have played a proper example, will understand what I am trying to share.
Long before the previously mentioned games were concepted in the solid state era and in some cases well over 30+ years.
Games previous to 1976 (including wood rails from the 1950s) required a different type of skill sets that used today.
They cannot be used to compare solid state games play styles.

Im curious, which type of skills are required for pre-1976 games?

#29 6 years ago

Xmen, can't flail on that, otherwise you get no where, have to slow it down an shoot accurately to get anywhere.

#30 6 years ago

Tron. You can now close the topic..

#31 6 years ago

Paragon taught me to lob and that beast layer still makes my left flipper twitch lol

4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f (resized).jpg4b2a4a5ded5ea5cbd1bc160304d196e4b9e0b22f (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Im curious, which type of skills are required for pre-1976 games?

An incredible amount of nudging and anticipated use of "english" to avoid extremely short ball times as a player cannot easily cradle balls for selection of shots, particularly if the games are using 2" flippers or non-typical drain and outlane configurations that were becoming standardized after 1976. Part of the reason new players do not like many earlier EMs.
Games are rarely slow unless dirty or unwaxed.
Other examples of challenges were the angle designs of slingshots that were meant to throw balls directly to outlanes. Bally games from the 60s and early 70s were directed by design of the manufacturer.

This does not imply all games made before 1976 used 2" flippers exclusively or central drains were not implemented.

#33 6 years ago

Ghostbusters Pre/LE
TWD

#34 6 years ago

Ghostbusters Premium kicks me frequently.

#35 6 years ago

Corvette can be at times. Bride of Pinbot tight shots.

+1on X Files.

Also Independence Day.

#36 6 years ago

Cyclone can kick your arse pretty quick!

#37 6 years ago

STTNG:
- The outlanes are a nudge clinic, and you're a chronic patient!
- Every ramp and lane is surrounded by nasty stand ups that send the ball STDM.
- Orbit to Side Ramp (the Picard Maneuver) is a great timing combo. If you can pull it off during Borg Multiball, you are a good player.
- If you miss almost any shot, you are in trouble. make your shots or perish!

honorable mentions:
Ghostbusters
Black Hole

all brutal. all very educational.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Another vote for BSD.
That is until I play pinballmanic40's SW........

Come on over soon!!!

#39 6 years ago

I got to hang out with O-Din recently and got to play his Struggle Buggies, the space in between the flippers is like 8"

Other honorable nut kickers are...

WOF-brings necessary nudging skills for a modern machine
IM-Brutal at times
AC/DC-Kick you in the nuts
Ghostbusters-Bust your balls, you have to adjust play for flipper gap
Tron-The timing for left upper flipper tough as hell

IM.jpgIM.jpg

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

Ghostbusters Premium kicks me frequently.

Yep, GB Prem can be a real ass kicker.

#42 6 years ago

Pinbot and F14

#43 6 years ago

Putting up a great score on Harlem Globetrotters makes you a better pinball player.

#44 6 years ago

I think we are getting off track here. Just because a game is supremely brutal does not make it a great "skill sharpening" pin. Some games are just plain mean and all the nudging in the world won't help you much. Other games require specific nudging with great timing just to play.... like STTNG. I've learned more from STTNG and IM then any other pair.

#45 6 years ago

Jack*Bot is my usual practice game. It doesn't give you much and punishes inaccuracy. Also, you need the flipper skills.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think we are getting off track here. Just because a game is supremely brutal does not make it a great "skill sharpening" pin. Some games are just plain mean and all the nudging in the world won't help you much. Other games require specific nudging with great timing just to play.... like STTNG. I've learned more from STTNG and IM then any other pair.

A brutal game like GB requires accuracy, nudging/slide saves (mostly because of the Flipper gap but also dangerous shots) and Flipper skills or go home. Doesn't necessarily make it enjoyable, but definitely sharpens your skill.

#47 6 years ago

Dialed In.

Having to complete a sequence to enable modes, then hit [usually] 5 different shots in 30 sec, and then make a difficult blind shot *in that same ball* or you lose the chance at it, and have to do this 8 times to reach wizard mode - has definitely made me a better pinball player.

#48 6 years ago

Im just glad to see this topic brought up again. I tried a similiar one " what is the most brutal game out there?" awhile back.....got shot down immediately that any game offering a ball save was a joke, and couldnt be included ...didnt feel like arguing against much more knowledgable and skillful players....

#49 6 years ago

Avengers - tight shots.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Two Words - IRON MAN

Three words:

Also iron man

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brutal-pins-that-sharpen-your-skills?hl=pintuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.