Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220616_173824 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello All,

I have a1976/77 Brunswick/Briarwood Super Star Home Pinball Machine that I've been working on bringing back to life. It's in a good spot, mostly working, but a few of the solenoids won't fire. Specifically for this post, its the bell ringing solenoid and I'm fairly certain it's just the diode that needs to be replaced on it. I have a pack of assorted diodes but have no idea which one, if any, would be a suitable replacement.

I was hoping someone could possibly point me in the right direction as I have essentially no knowledge working on pinball machines or basic electrical systems in general (outside of simple soldering and some wiring). I know the machine is simple and cheap, but it holds sentimental value and I'd love to get it going again. There's an image of the solenoid/diode attached and I'll link the owner's manual I've found (though it mentions replacing diodes, it doesn't seem to mention with what type).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Link to the manual: https://www.ipdb.org/files/2448/Briarwood_1977_Super_Star_Generic_Owners_Manual_dated_08_24_77_with_schematics_solid_state_games_only.pdf

20220616_173824 (resized).jpg20220616_173824 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Superstar77:

though it mentions replacing diodes, it doesn't seem to mention with what type)

The diodes used with coils can range from 1N4001 to 1N4007. The difference between those is the amount of voltage that they can handle. Usually I go with 1N4007 since it handles the most voltage (1000v) within that diode part family, and there's basically no price difference.

Although anything between 1N4004 and 1N4007 would likely be a suitable replacement.

On the diode itself, you may see the part number in two lines of really small print.

#3 1 year ago

I also use 1N4007 for all coils. The diode needs to be able to withstand coil voltage, usually well under 100V (50V nominal may get 80V when first pulling in). So even a 100V 1N4002 would be enough, but as said, the price is almost the same.

Check for correct orientation of the diode (banded side goes towards +, or the two yellow wires). If the coil still does not work, its driver transistor may be bad.

#4 1 year ago

Replacing the diode is VERY unlikely to fix your issue. It's only there to prevent damage to the transistor that drives it.

Measure the lugs on the non-working coils and see if you have a DC voltage on them.

That's where I would start.

#5 1 year ago

True. Check for voltage between ground and the coil yellow wires. I don't know if the Brunswick coils operate on 24 or 50 volts, but you should see something between 24-50 (or somewhat more). If you measure zero volts, check corresponding fuse.

Grounding the other lead of coil should cause the coil to operate (that's what the driver transistor does). Do not keep the coil on for more than a few seconds. If the coil operates, then problem is within the driver circuitry, if not, then either the coil is open or does not get voltage to the yellow wires.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks for the fast replies and the suggestions! I'll hopefully have some time soon to look at it and try what you guys have recommended.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brunswick-briarwood-diode-replacement-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.