Brought home another one yesterday

By SunsetPinball

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I bought a Diner yesterday that is in pretty nice shape. The cabinet could use some touch ups but the diamond plate playfield is flawless. I tinkered around with it yesterday adjusting this and that and now the game plays perfectly except for one the most important things: The Display.

The top alphanumeric display functions perfectly but the bottom one does nothing. Problem is I never had a display problem in any of my games before and don't know how to approach trouble shooting. I checked all the connections and they look great. I took the display board out and took a good look at it but don't see anything out of the ordinary. New displays cost $100 bucks and pinscore offers a LED option for $200. It would be great if I could avoid having to get a new one.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can trouble shoot the problem or know of a website that might cover this issue? This is my first system 11 game so I don't have any parts that I can swap in and test with.

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

Either there is a bad resistor I believe, there is one for each display that commonly fails, or the display is gassed. I try to locate it and post later, but in clays notes if you have a copy.

If there is a gassed display, which I had on my FH, best option is this from BAA:

http://www.bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STIM-DI-D16

Buy $150 in parts and get the whole LED display for $120. You can likely sell the old one with a working board and one good display on RGP for some recoup.

it's a great deal.

#3 12 years ago

Thanks for the information Atomicboy. Does anyone have a copy of Clay's guide? I have the ones about EM machines but those obviously aren't going to help me. I'd like to make sure the resistor isn't bad before spending a bunch of $ on a new display.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks for the link Haydn!

#6 12 years ago

Aren't torrents illegal here? Also not the safest way to transmit a file...

#7 12 years ago

Show us some pics. Never played a Diner. I have a display out on my taxi. In same boat.

#8 12 years ago

Played Diner the other day. Fun machine. Congrats!

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

I have a display out on my taxi. In same boat

There was a guy selling the Jackpot display for Taxi yesterday on RGP. Not sure if that's the one you need.

#10 12 years ago

I bought it. Jackpot works again on Taxi. Thx

#11 12 years ago

What happened with this? Update sunset, for the benefit of others down the line. My guess is gassed display.

Awesome game, hope to own one, one day.

#12 12 years ago

good luck nice

#13 12 years ago

Diner is a great game. very underated pin in my opinion. Take a look at my collection...I play Diner more than all my other pins. very addictive. It's a keeper in my collection. It's also the oldest pin I own.

I got one a while back and restored the playfield...take a look.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-arrives

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from wesperron:

Diner is a great game. very underated pin in my opinion. Take a look at my collection...I play Diner more than all my other pins. very addictive. It's a keeper in my collection. It's also the oldest pin I own.

I got one a while back and restored the playfield...take a look.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-arrives

Wes, when you did your diner, what type of decals did you use? Did you have any raising of your new decals after CC'ing it?

#15 12 years ago

Diner is going to come home with me soon.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Wes, when you did your diner, what type of decals did you use? Did you have any raising of your new decals after CC'ing it?

No. They are smooth. No problems with the decals. I put the first few coats on real thin. It takes quite a few coats to cover the decals so they are smooth i think I did about 7 coats. I got them from pinballdecals.com. They worked great. Make sure your play field is really clean before you put the decals on. Any kind of dirt or wax will keep the decals from sticking good and they could lift during the drying of the clear coat. I heard some decals will get dark around the edge but with the Minwax polycryilc I used they stayed white. It's a little more expensive but it works great and dries clear and smooth. Just make sure you apply the last few coats thick until it start to cloud up.
It clears up when it dries and stays nice and smooth.

1 month later
#17 12 years ago

When I went to Sunsets for his pinball tourney the display was workin great! I believe he told me he had to get a new one but either way its workin now!

#18 12 years ago

I did get a Diner but it is a project. Looks really cool. I like the cup. I will try to show it as I restore in in the future. Congrats!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brought-home-another-one-yesterday and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.