Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by SPeD66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

So, this past Saturday I lugged my CV to a B'Ni Mitzvah some friends of mine were throwing for their kids. I must admit I was a bit surprised at the splash this thing made. It was the topic of conversation all night. There were about $150 people there, and I swear just about everyone took a turn repeatedly. Everytime I looked over I saw a line of people waiting to play - mostly kids, which I found especially interesting. What really got me though we're two requests for business cards that night. One was from the event coordinator who said she could easily place these at all her events, and the second was from another person in the group who routes a photo booth for events like this.

Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't the level of interest that I got. ESPECIALLY from the kids in the group. Pinball of no interest to kids today some say....not so sure.

Anyone else have a similar experience? I have to say, it almost makes me want to route one for things like this. After all, I just made two connections in one night without trying. If only I didn't likely weekends so much!

#2 11 years ago

It was on free play right ?

Don't get you hopes up.

LTG

#3 11 years ago

I think he was suggesting providing a pin for a flat fee set on free play for events; not the pin making money from quarters.

#4 11 years ago

Considering pins might make $30-$50 a week, renting one out on free play for hundreds of dollars for a few hours makes a lot of sense.

#5 11 years ago

business wise, renting out a couple games for B'Ni Mitzvah's might be a good idea? charge a flat fee. 2 games - setup/delivery/free play $500.00. got to make it worth the time/effort. still think kids would rather have the dance dance revolutions.

#6 11 years ago

$500 isn't a lot of money compared to other activities for special events. I've worked plenty in other capacities.

My bit of advice for anyone interested in this business model is to collect testimonials. Pull out your camera, get the organizer to say for 30 seconds how much fun all their guests had with the machine and all the feedback they got, etc. You'd be able to snowball this in no time.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

My bit of advice for anyone interested in this business model is to collect testimonials. Pull out your camera, get the organizer to say for 30 seconds how much fun all their guests had with the machine and all the feedback they got, etc. You'd be able to snowball this in no time.

Yep, a video showing a line of happy guests behind the machines will sell itself.

Have games to match the theme.

Harley Davidson or AC/DC - biker wedding.
    Millionaire - upwardly mobile wedding.
    Eight Ball Deluxe or Dolly Parton - country wedding.
    Medieval Madness or Black Knight - 2nd marriage or WOW wedding.
    White Water or No Fear - Xgames, adventure wedding.
    Strange Science or Totem - BDSM wedding.
    Xmen or Tron - comic book geek wedding.
    F14 or Raven - military wedding.
    Flash Gordon - 80s wedding

#8 11 years ago

Sarah from Pinball Wizard does game rentals like this. I referred a friend of mine to her for his company party, they did 2 pins and an arcade machine, and I think it went over very well. Good for you helping get the word out and grats! You should totally do it again!

#9 11 years ago

Should've also brought TOTAN as well.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Should've also brought TOTAN as well.

Funny, I was going to, but can only fit one in the SUV and I was under express orders from my friends not to rent a truck. The party had a neon theme, so CV was first up.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Don't get you hopes up.
    LTG

There's the Lloyd I know.

Yes, it was on free play. What I was getting at was the flat fee for the evening idea. The lady with the photo booth charges $600 for an event. Now, those guests are walking away with photos, so perhaps a little less for a pin, per machine. Just an idea to help think a little outside the box. Bring a couple machines, and book a few events, and you might have something here. The lady with the photo booth said she frequently has 2 events in a day. $1,200 for the day, not bad.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

business wise, renting out a couple games for B'Ni Mitzvah's might be a good idea? charge a flat fee. 2 games - setup/delivery/free play $500.00. got to make it worth the time/effort. still think kids would rather have the dance dance revolutions.

Yes, but there was dancing too, and a lot of it. The events are long enough though where people take breaks from everything available and move on to the next. You get that, because unlike say an arcade, they really can't just leave.

#13 11 years ago

The abuse your machine will take is also limited at special events, compared with leaving it on location for months. It's really all about the delivery, setup and return.

I know a guy that rents chocolate fountains. They have to clean all that chocolate out of their machine at the end of every night.

So, basically, do you feel like packing and unpacking your games? I'd call your 2 contacts, throw a price at them, tell them you are available if they have a client that is interested. Then see what happens.

#14 11 years ago

Any time my kids bring over new friends, its always fun to see their reactions when they go into the game room. Almost all seem to have never seen a pin. These are kids that are 10 -17 years old. Some have played on the pods and pads, but had no idea that that's what a real pinball looks like. Anyway, they all love them and want to spend time playing. Of course it could just be the free play!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

There's the Lloyd I know. []

Yes, it was on free play. What I was getting at was the flat fee for the evening idea. The lady with the photo booth charges $600 for an event. Now, those guests are walking away with photos, so perhaps a little less for a pin, per machine. Just an idea to help think a little outside the box. Bring a couple machines, and book a few events, and you might have something here. The lady with the photo booth said she frequently has 2 events in a day. $1,200 for the day, not bad.

If you add up cost of equipment. Insurance ( you still need that to protect you ) and cost to move, set up, tear down, move back. And be on call. They won't want to pay for it if it's out of order for and event.

How much do you really think you'll make ?

If you did it as a business it sounds okay. Then you have labor and moving equipment anyway. Once in a great while, not so good.

LTG

#16 11 years ago

We do special event rentals and its fairly good money. Not as good as in house special events where there is no hauling or set up involved. The attendees are amazed these machines are still around and kicking!

Charlie
    SPM

#17 11 years ago

I'm surprised... that folks are surprised... that kids like pinball.
    I'd wager that most everyone on this forum is a big kid at heart. Time has no advantage over something that's perpetually cool.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brought-a-pin-to-a-party-and-am-surprised-at-the-interest and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.