(Topic ID: 344941)

Brooklyn to Silverball Asbury Pk - Transit or Rental Car?

By clodpole

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3298 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3300 (resized).JPG
    #1 9 months ago

We'll be in Brooklyn in 2 weeks and want to experience Silverball Museum. We can rent a car and see Staten Island on the way, or subway to Penn Station and take NJ Transit to Asbury Park. Either way, there and back on the same day.

Transit takes longer, but doesn't require us to drive in the big city. What mode would you recommend?

#2 9 months ago

I love pinball, but honestly, you’re visiting NY, I’d spend the time in NY rather than trip out to asbury park. There’s a lot to do and some decent barcades in Brooklyn. Silver ball is nice, and Asbury Park is cool to see, but after Labor Day most things will be closed and the boardwalk might be kind of dead. If you’re set on going I would double check that silverball is open. Not much to see or do on the drive through staten island on the way to asbury park but it’s always nice to have a car and you can stop in some of the other Jersey shore towns, check out the other boardwalks, etc.

#3 9 months ago

We visit New York about once a year, since it's where our kids live. Silverball seems within reach, so we figured we'd give it a try.

We'll make sure they're open before we leave NY. Thanks for the advice!

BTW, if we do go, do you recommend car or public transit?

#4 9 months ago

Absolutely goto the Silverball. Been fortunate enough to go several times. A great place. No matter how you choose to get there it is worth it. I live in Cleveland and if I had the available time off I would drive to Asbury Park just to goto the Silverball. You will not be disappointed

G

#5 9 months ago

Personally I would rent a car

#6 9 months ago

Train will be cheaper if that's a factor (the car tolls round trip across Staten Island alone are nearly $40.) The major downside of the train plan is that the stop in Asbury Park isn't exactly right at the boardwalk and Silverball, it's a fair walk away, bit under a mile. If you're okay with that (or an uber/taxi for that leg), do the train.

#7 9 months ago

Thanks!

#8 9 months ago

Drive it. While it may be more expensive between the rental and tolls, you'll waste much less time waiting around for connections, then walking a fair ways to the boardwalk. And you won't be doing much city driving...just have to get on the main road out of Brooklyn and it's all mostly highway, even through Staten Island (although there are plenty of backups). Best of luck!

#9 9 months ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

We'll be in Brooklyn in 2 weeks and want to experience Silverball Museum. We can rent a car and see Staten Island on the way, or subway to Penn Station and take NJ Transit to Asbury Park. Either way, there and back on the same day.
    Transit takes longer, but doesn't require us to drive in the big city. What mode would you recommend?

Rent a car - public transportation from Brooklyn to Asbury is brutal.
    My office is about four blocks from Silverball, east end of Cookman. Silverball is a very nice venue and it’s almost always open.
    Now is the best time of year to visit because all of the bennies have gone home and the local music scene explodes.
    The restaurants are all very good and there are some excellent places within driving distance.

#10 9 months ago

Ya gotta go!!!

#11 9 months ago

OK, I've been in touch with Patty at Silverball, and she suggested transit as well, including the walk from Asbury station. We're going to try it that way, simply because it removes the need to reserve a car for a particular day.

It'll be a couple of weeks 'til we're in NY, but I'll file a trip report and those of you who urged us to drive can say "I told you so, man!".

Regardless, thanks for the comments. We're really looking forward to the Silverball expedition.

#12 9 months ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

OK, I've been in touch with Patty at Silverball, and she suggested transit as well, including the walk from Asbury station. We're going to try it that way, simply because it removes the need to reserve a car for a particular day.
    It'll be a couple of weeks 'til we're in NY, but I'll file a trip report and those of you who urged us to drive can say "I told you so, man!".
    Regardless, thanks for the comments. We're really looking forward to the Silverball expedition.

You will have a great time!
    Enjoy your stay.

#13 9 months ago

Thanks - I appreciate it.

Washington state's entire population barely outnumbers that of New York City. Everything we do on these visits is an adventure, but this trip to Silverball will be a big deal!

#14 9 months ago

You will not be disappointed period!!

#15 9 months ago

I’d say rent a car too. Nj transit is just awful for so many reasons. Having a car will give you much more flexibility. My suggestion is to go to silverball, have lunch in one of the local restaurants and then head north along the shore and eat in seabright (mcloones rum runner) or go to the Atlantic highlands (inlet cafe). I’m sure others have good recommendations. Also, no offense to anyone that lives in staten island, but I never heard anyone say they want to see staten island.

#16 9 months ago

Hahahaha! We're west coast hillbillies. Anything in NY/NJ seems exotic to us!

Thanks for the recommendations; I'll carry them along when we go in a couple weeks. Presuming we survive, I'll put up a short trip report on here.

2 weeks later
    #17 8 months ago

OK, we made it to NYC and back. Our kids live in Brooklyn, so we took the subway to Penn Station and then two NJ Transit trains to Asbury Park.

One runs as far as Long Branch, where the electric overhead line ends. The other waits on the Longbranch platform for the first to arrive, then goes down the coast on diesel power. All were clean, on time and inexpensive. It's a really easy and relaxing way to get to-and-from Asbury Park from the city.

Silverball was all we hoped for - very 1970s feeling in layout, and with a wide array of games of all vintages. We stayed for 3.5 hours and played almost entirely EMs, to give an idea of how extensive their collection is.

Thanks again for your encouragement; I highly recommend Silverball and Asbury Park if you haven't been there!

IMG_3298 (resized).JPGIMG_3298 (resized).JPGIMG_3300 (resized).JPGIMG_3300 (resized).JPG
    #18 8 months ago

...oh yeah, and on the way back the train conductor spotted my Williams shirt and wanted to talk pinball!

#19 8 months ago

Glad you had a good time

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Glad you had a good time

Thanks - me too! It's a really fun place, isn't it? I'd be a regular if I lived closer.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from clodpole:

Thanks - me too! It's a really fun place, isn't it? I'd be a regular if I lived closer.

Agreed. It’s a lot of fun and the guys there do a good job of maintaining the machines.
    I’m fortunate to live and work so close by.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.