81 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by pinballinreno
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 81 days ago

I have a playfield with 3 wood screws broken off flush with playfield. If they can be removed, I will use a 6/32 tee not underneath and use a 6/32 screw to mount the plastic post. Any ideas to get them out without damaging the playfield?

#2 81 days ago

Use a dremel tool to (carefully) cut a little slot in the screw.
    You can remove it after with a flat head screwdriver

#3 81 days ago

Get a screw extractor kit at HD or Lowe’s.
    Use your electric drill in reverse and it comes right out.

#4 81 days ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Use a dremel tool to (carefully) cut a little slot in the screw.
    You can remove it after with a flat head screwdriver

What dremel tool would you recommend here? I've tried this with a few different ones and never had good results

#5 81 days ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What dremel tool would you recommend here?

A cut-off wheel can be used to cut a slot. The biggest problems are finding one thin enough for a 6-32 screw and small enough diameter you’re not also cutting into the playfield.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-EZ-Lock-1-1-2-in-Rotary-Tool-Metal-Cut-Off-Wheels-for-Metal-5-Pack-EZ456/100484365

I think a screw extractor is more likely to work. If minimizing damage to the artwork is critical one could work on the bottom side of the playfield but that has its own set of issues.

#6 81 days ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What dremel tool would you recommend here? I've tried this with a few different ones and never had good results

I would assume the “brown” sandpaper looking cut off wheel? Just hard not to cut a little of the pf with that big of a wheel and the screw being flush

#7 81 days ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Especially on a playfield. If the screws are flush with the PF, the disks are too wide and it will hit the wood before getting a deep enough grove in the screw.

Always use the right tools, a dremel is not it in this case.

Watch this:

#8 81 days ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Especially on a playfield. If the screws are flush with the PF, the disks are too wide and it will hit the wood before getting a deep enough grove in the screw.
    Always use the right tools, a dremel is not it in this case.
    Watch this:

Fortunately I don’t think I’ve had a flush screw, but yes I totally recommend having this kit on hand. I’ve used it on cars many a time

#9 81 days ago

Those kits are the best chance at getting a flush bolt out clean and worth a shot. That said, I have had mixed results using kits like that on small hardware like #6. Might be a good thing to have a Plan B. Depending on where the post is located, you might be able to live with leaving the screw in place and drilling a pilot hole directly adjacent to it to mount the post. In the end the post will only move a tiny bit and will cover the broken screw.

#10 81 days ago

This is how I do it, it's the correct fix and it's pretty fast and easy:

Working below the playfield from the bottom side:

Use a 1/4" or 3/8" plug cutter below the playfield exactly where the screw is and center it.

Drilling a 1/32" hole right next to the screw all the way through helps to locate it. Try to drill very straight, or just measure it accurately.

Use a drill guide or a piece of scrap with a hole drilled into it for support it really helps to keep the plug cutter from dancing about..

Cut the plug to about half the way through the playfield.

chisel out plug and remove screw with needle vice grips.

Fill hole with a plug or dowel or just leave it inset for the t-nut. (I use a plug cutter that is slightly larger than the t-nut diameter and usually I just clean it out a little and leave it inset for the t-nut).

Drill new hole for t-nut (or screw if you filled it with a dowel).

I epoxy the t-nuts in. This firms up the area a bit and holds the t-nut.

I install t-nuts with an allen bolt thru a fender washer that has a bit of stick on felt to protect the surface.
    Cardboard will also work.

It works very well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/plug-cutter-set-4-pc-60613.html?cid=paid_google|||60613&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAiA4o79BRBvEiwAjteoYKmDU-l7DlqjOioN--U2wEf2COoCBFBYPm0sC7yxiuXHQtOBYLPhqhoCwmYQAvD_BwE

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Apparel - Unisex
    PinShades
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 30.25
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    $ 33.50
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 254.99
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside