(Topic ID: 123441)

Broken MPU board?

By snowvictim

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snowvictim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi!

I've had a battery leak on my MPU board a while ago. I went through the whole board with vinegar, then cleaned it with distilled water. I bought a remote battery holder and soldered it on the board without removing the old one (as seen in many YouTube tutorial videos).

This solved the problem of my TOTAN killing the power to the playfield, mechanics and DMD after a while of playing temporarily. Now the game runs fine too. Back then with the battery leak, after the game would die and I would have to turn it off and on again it would restore factory settings and clear highscores and settings.

Now, whenever I turn the game on (after it's off normally, without any "game death") it resets back to factory settings (number of balls, free play, etc.) but keeps the highscores. I have never encountered anything like this.

Any suggestions?

#3 9 years ago

4.76V from the remote holder.

I noticed that diagonstic LEDs 501, 203 are flashing, diagonistic LED 201 is off. I couldn't find what these indicate in the manual. Any help?

#4 9 years ago

Ooooh ok ok ok discard 501, it's meant to flash.

#5 9 years ago

Ok, crap, that's the correct LED signs from what I know... Any ideas?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Did you check to see what the power is at the actual CMOS Ram (6264). It might be lower than the required 2v to retain data (even though your battery pack measures 4.5V) and cause it to corrupt the data enough for only the settings to get restored?? Again, as you said, it is very odd it doesn't also clear the high score tables.
The fact that the game was "crashing", might indicate an intermittent trace or socket connection somewhere.

Some other guy told me it's most likely a CMOS RAM issue, but could be other things. He said to measure the voltage on the 28th pin of the RAM chip. Is that the U8 IC on the MPU? Can someone quickly explain how to do it (locate pin 28 and how to get the multimeter on - I mean, one "stick" on the 28th pin and the other ... ?)?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Bad batteries will not cause a game to reset, but a whole bunch of other things may. Check out here on pinwiki:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets
But you probably have some corrosion that is causing problems. That can be viewed here:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Battery_Issues

Well it never really reset in the sense that it went on and off again. The machine would continue to hum and the translite lighting would still be on, only the DMD, PF GI and mechanisms went dead.

#11 9 years ago

Pin 28 on the CMOS measured 4.75V, so I think it's alright. Just a while ago I booted up and it booted up to my settings. Problem just seemed to go away. Perhaps my TOTAN was putting on a delayed April Fools?

Thanks for the help anyway!

3 weeks later
#14 9 years ago

Replaced the 16 rectifier diodes, there's still a problem, but it's different.

After I soldered the new diodes on, I played a game with the translite off. The machine did it's act (GI off, DMD off, only humming), but it was different this time since it actually restarted ("factory settings restored" etc.) without flipping me having to flip the switch.

I was also able to see the diagnostic LEDs. 201 came on (no CPU board activity). Should I just buy a new MPU board then? The battery leak might have killed something, despite my best efforts to clean it.

#15 9 years ago

Oh, and the test point Zero Cross (I have no idea what the hell that is) gives <5V, is that okay or not?

#17 9 years ago

Checked the diodes on the power driver board and they were fine.

HOWEVER!!!!... now that we're talking LEDs. I noticed one odd thing when I got the game, I mean I passed it off as an LED problem since naturally they can go bad - the middle LED (they're numbered funny, I'm not sure which number it is, but it's the middle one) is VERY dim, like it's almost off. Is that indicative of anything? Diag LED dimness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 37.50
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snowvictim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-mpu-board?tu=snowvictim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.