8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by UvulaBob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

How can I check to see if my logic probe is broken? I'm working on a broken Firepower board, and the only readings I get are either high, pulsing high, and nothing. The "low" light never lights up. I haven't used this thing in a while, so I'm not sure if something's wrong with it or if nothing on this broken board is sending a "low" pulse. I figured grounding pin 40 of the CPU while holding the logic probe to that pin might show a low signal, but the high light just goes off while it's grounded and then comes back on when the ground is taken away.

It's an Elenco LP900, one of these guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-LP900-625-Logic-Pulser/dp/B0002E7X5O/ref=sr_1_2

Should I just chuck it and get a new probe? If so, do I need one that pulses, or can I go for the cheaper one?

#2 8 years ago

I can't read what is says the switch does...

Simply connect the red lead to +5 volt supply and black lead to ground on the same board. Now probe the +5 volt supply to get a HI. Then probe the ground to get a LO.

I want to say if it's set to CMOS you can get weird, erratic readings.

#3 8 years ago

That switch is for the pulser, to alternate between 400 and .5 pulses per second.

There's nothing I can touch to get the Low light to come on, so I think this thing is junked. Oh well. Guess I'll get a new one.

#4 8 years ago

Sounds like it's shot. I would go with the Elenco LP-560 ($17 on Amazon). There's really no need for the pulser unless you're pretty advanced in electronics troubleshooting.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes

#5 8 years ago

Hook it up in you game. Touch the lead to earth ground, if it never goes low, it is dead.

+1 on what Terry recommends.

#6 8 years ago

Turns out the power source on the board was too low for it to get an accurate reading - about 3.9v. Once I connected the board to a better bench supply (giving about 4.5v) the thing started showing "low" again. Too late, though, since I already ordered a replacement from Amazon. BOOOOO.

#7 8 years ago

Cancel before it ships.

#8 8 years ago

Already tried that. Didn't work. DOUBLE BOOOO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-logic-probe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.