Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221107_210754 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Have 2 broken in half keys in two diff machines. Tried wd40 and some lock picks but didn’t work. Anyone have any other solutions? Thx.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

Have 2 broken in half keys in two diff machines. Tried wd40 and some lock picks but didn’t work. Anyone have any other solutions? Thx.

Drill out the locks.

#3 1 year ago

Might have too drill them out and change the locks ,it's hard too get the half of the key out

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Might have too drill them out and change the locks ,it's hard too get the half of the key out

Yea looking for a smoother solution if possible. Ie high powered magnets, etc. but yea drilling if all else fails

#5 1 year ago

PBR has matching locks drill and replace all locks and one key can open everything. Btw they are about $6 each pretty cheep.

#6 1 year ago

Takes 30 seconds to drill, 1/4" bit, no damage. I put thumb locks on all ours, but all at home, not on route
    https://www.pinballlife.com/keyless-coin-door-lock.html

#7 1 year ago

Okay noted on drilling

#8 1 year ago

Might be able to get broken piece out with a dental pick on ea side

#9 1 year ago

Broken Key extractors from an HPC distributor. Spiral version works best. You may need to also move exposed disc tumblers (wafer tumblers) out of the way with a lock pick or paper clip....

20221107_210754 (resized).jpg20221107_210754 (resized).jpg
    #10 1 year ago

Noted noted. Might try that extractor

#11 1 year ago

I think I saw a video short on this: You can heat up the thick end of a tapered candle, hold it to the broken key until it rehardens, then pull the key out. Either that, or use hot glue on and around the broken key, let it harden, then pull the key out.

Don't know if either of those work, but worth a try.

#12 1 year ago

Small hot glue stick was also my first guess, drilling next option.

#13 1 year ago

YouTube is your friend. Lots of potential solutions.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

Yea looking for a smoother solution if possible. Ie high powered magnets, etc. but yea drilling if all else fails

I’ll take one of those brass magnets.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

Noted noted. Might try that extractor

What have u tryed or did anything work so far

#16 1 year ago

Update: okay so on my one game I used a glue stick that i heated and got the piece of the broken key out. The spare key was locked inside though so I grabbed my lock pick set and picked it. Problem solved. My other game, before trying the glue sticks, went to drill with a battery powered Ryobi drill. Thing was pretty weak and took forever. Drilled a friggin hole through the lock and still can’t get the door open, lol. It won’t turn or open. Any suggestions?

Pic:
    https://ibb.co/wzqvP7j

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

Any suggestions?

Stronger drill. Bigger drill bit. You need the cam on the lock on the inside to fall off.

LTG : )

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropGems:

Drilled a friggin hole through the lock and still can’t get the door open

Normal advice is to use a 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit, then re-drill with 1/4, then re-drill with a 3/8.

I use a step drill bit from Harbor Freight that goes from 1/4 to 3/4, and it makes short work of pinball locks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-key-in-coin-door- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.