(Topic ID: 104918)

Broken glass club. You don’t have to bleed to join.

By PEN

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

72400537 (resized).jpg
20210222_211125 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2020-10-31 150248 (resized).jpg
BagOfInvisiglass (resized).jpg
IMG_0855 (resized).JPG
20200820_201347 (resized).jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_0364.JPG
WP_000143.jpg
WP_000142.jpg
Themoreyouknow.jpg
2013-10-02 18.45.48.jpg
BCBG.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EightBitWhit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 3 years ago

Here's my pass to get into the club...

IMG_0855 (resized).JPGIMG_0855 (resized).JPG

This is a shattered piece of Invisiglass installed into my Tron. It shattered while installed into the game and nothing hit the glass or otherwise came into contact, as the game had been sitting in the same position for over 3 weeks since its last played game.

Story goes as such:

I had just finished shopping this game and (finally) installed my Eli ramp kit, converted to clear Titan rubbers, installed my art blades, my LE apron and my Pinwoofer kit. Life was GOOD and the game looks, plays and sounds INCREDIBLE.

I finished up the game in my workshop, installed the sheet of Invisiglass (which had never, to my knowledge, been on edge contact of anything other than carpet) and then put the game on the dolly and moved it back into the gameroom to go back in the lineup.

There it sat for ~3 weeks unplayed (as I was moving on to work on my other titles that needed some mods and the Titan treatment) so I figured it was 100% good-to-go and went on about my business. I then went back into the gameroom one night to grab a couple of things, and I walked by the game and didn't immediately realize what had happened, as it took about 15 seconds or so to register and I then spun back around and my heart sank into my gut which sank into my shoes.

I found the game in the above condition and I have absolutely NO idea as to why it happened. The only thing I can think of is that I did have anti-rattle tape installed on the glass sheet (and it does make for a tight fit) and maybe the glass was under some torsional pressure which built over time and eventually caused fatigue, but I've also got that on other games with Invisiglass with no issues (yet).

After some really close inspection, I believe I found the inflection point (circled) where the initial crack happened and it all spread from there -

Screenshot 2020-10-31 150248 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2020-10-31 150248 (resized).jpg

And then again, maybe I'm just telling myself lies to feel more informed... who knows.

It took me a couple of weeks (at night) to clean up the game, vacuum it out (no less than 15 times), take the ramps back off the playlfield, clean it again from the topside and then drop and disassemble the recognizer disc assembly and drop the leaf switches to clean everything out to ensure that there was no glass left anywhere. Slowly but surely I made progress and now have the game completely back together and I can guarantee that there is not a shard of glass left in it.

That being said, if you are interested in what a busted piece of Invisiglass weighs, I can tell you - it's 14lbs, 8oz:

BagOfInvisiglass (resized).jpgBagOfInvisiglass (resized).jpg

I do want to give a shout-out to Barry Engler at JJP. I made my original purchase of Invisiglass through JJP a while back and I reached out to him asking if there had been any reports of busted glass from customers around the time I had made my purchase, and of course there was none. Despite that, he helped me out on price and got me into a replacement sheet without it being so overly offensive to my wallet to buy a replacement sheet.

I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with Invisiglass long-term or go the Stern HD glass route or what... going back to regular glass just isn't an option once you've played on the anti-reflective glass for a while, so I'm hoping I just had a run of bad luck or something had happened to this glass prior that either I did without realizing it or otherwise. I've looked for an explanation, but cannot find anything, so I just replace and go forward.

I lament my situation and we discuss glass handling techniques, etc. on ep. 93 of our podcast - http://www.brokentoken.com/podcast-episodes/93-its-not-pretty/ in case anyone is interested in sharing the sorrow with me.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome to the club... I hate that I had to join but here I am!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 75.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EightBitWhit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-glass-club-you-don%e2%80%99t-have-to-bleed-to-join?tu=EightBitWhit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.