(Topic ID: 104918)

Broken glass club. You don’t have to bleed to join.

By PEN

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_0364.JPG
WP_000143.jpg
WP_000142.jpg
Themoreyouknow.jpg
2013-10-02 18.45.48.jpg
BCBG.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I broke my first playfield glass about 5 years ago. I can’t remember the game.....but I think it was a Williams “Winner”. Fast forward to yesterday when I broke the glass while servicing someones ST pro at my local watering hole. (I was not drinking) I don’t even know how it happened. The glass just exploded in my hands. Is it possible my watch, ring, or bracelet tapped it just right? I ended up with two cuts on my wrist and minor embarrassment. Fortunately I live close and was able to rob my XMENLE of its glass to get the game back earning in a few minutes.

So.....Don’t be shy tell us how it happened and what game.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I broke my first playfield glass about 5 years ago. I can’t remember the game.....but I think it was a Williams “Winner”. Fast forward to yesterday when I broke the glass while servicing someones ST pro at my local watering hole. (I was not drinking) I don’t even know how it happened. The glass just exploded in my hands. Is it possible my watch, ring, or bracelet tapped it just right? I ended up with two cuts on my wrist and minor embarrassment. Fortunately I live close and was able to rob my XMENLE of its glass to get the game back earning in a few minutes.
So.....Don’t be shy tell us how it happened and what game.

What a bummer! Hasn't happened to me yet, but I know it is out there somewhere!

#3 4 years ago

I was taking my glass off of my CFTBL about 7 or so years ago. I had my IJ at a right angle behind it and was trying not to ding the IJ cabinet (tight space). All I can figure is I put a small amount of downward pressure as I was pushing it to the right and the corner must have taken on some stress. Next thing I know, I hear a loud explosion and I'm standing there with my hands spread like they were still holding the glass, but the glass was now a few hundred "ice cubes" on the floor and unfortunately inside the machine. My wife came flying down the stairs after she heard the explosion from upstairs. Took a half hour or so to get it all cleaned up, but no permanent damage and no injuries. It happens...thankfully that was the only time for me...

#4 4 years ago

Strange how tempered glass can be sometimes. I had an old piece that was trashed. I threw it into an empty metal dumpster and it didn't break. It was a good 6-7 ft drop. Weird

#5 4 years ago

That tempered glass is a fickle bitch. Never broken a sheet although I hear it doesn't take much. I have a Firepower that wasn't completely routed for one of the the plastic channels that holds the glass. I left the glass in the machine, propped up from underneath, and was using it as a guide for the router (couldn't use the side of the cabinet for whatever reason). I slipped and shaved a good bit off the edge of the glass for four inches or so, how on earth that didn't shatter it I have no idea.

#6 4 years ago

Game Plan Sharpshooter. More than one. On different Sharpshooter machines at different locations as well. There is something inheritly wrong with the machine/cabinet design.

#7 4 years ago

I have seen it happen in person, but (knock on wood) not to me yet.

I found this video interesting......Sometimes very easy to break. Sometimes not so much, but if you tap it jusssssst right.........diamonds!

Chris

#8 4 years ago

I broke a glass from an Eight Ball. I just picked it up and heard a boom and there were a million pieces of glass everywhere. I don't even think I bumped it on anything. I was finding glass years later.

#9 4 years ago

I lost the original mirrored backglass from Badcats that WAS the nicest part of the machine. I trusted the seller to wrap the machine up and when I got it home, the bg wasn't secured or locked, or even have the bg trim on it. Lifted the head and...

BCBG.jpg

#10 4 years ago

Broke the glass out of my LotR while servicing it on location. A bit embarrassing but at least it wasn't in the game. Just exploded in my hands as I was carrying it. It must have been my wedding ring or something hitting the edge.

#11 4 years ago

Here's what happened on my Monster Bash.
Found it hilarious that this glass survived whatever happened to this machine on location. Was then boxed and shipped from Europe. No problems.

Brought it into my gameroom. Rested it on the cabinet for a second and whamo!

2013-10-02 18.45.48.jpg
#12 4 years ago

I told this story in the other thread, but here it is again for posterity.

BadBrick and I made a trip to visit Marco and brought some sheets of glass back. We had them laying flat in my wife's van, with the backseats out. They were in cardboard and strapped from side to side.

On the highway I had to slam on the brakes for some traffic and one of the sheets slid forward from it's cardboard taco and slammed into the drivers seat I was in. It exploded and showered me with glass.

I had to sit in the glass "puddle" for about 10 minutes while traffic moved enough for us to get to an exit and check everything out.

#13 4 years ago

Oh my lord - this sounds terrifying! I hope this never happens to me.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I was taking my glass off of my CFTBL about 7 or so years ago. I had my IJ at a right angle behind it and was trying not to ding the IJ cabinet (tight space). All I can figure is I put a small amount of downward pressure as I was pushing it to the right and the corner must have taken on some stress. Next thing I know, I hear a loud explosion and I'm standing there with my hands spread like they were still holding the glass, but the glass was now a few hundred "ice cubes" on the floor and unfortunately inside the machine. My wife came flying down the stairs after she heard the explosion from upstairs. Took a half hour or so to get it all cleaned up, but no permanent damage and no injuries. It happens...thankfully that was the only time for me...

You are in the club!

#15 4 years ago

I've broken two playfield glasses. First one, I just picked up by the corners. One minute it was there, the next in a huge pile at my feet. Didn't hit it on anything. Just had a weak spot and I picked it up just right.

The second one, I just brushed the corner on something, and boom. It went all the way across my workshop. I still find a small piece once in awhile.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Same happened to me with my FT. I love the sound of breaking glass

#17 4 years ago

Good examples of why we need transparent aluminum, Scotty gave that guy the formula like 20 years ago. So where is it?

#18 4 years ago

Never on a pinball machine, but I broke a piece of tempered glass that was a hinged door on a small cabinet. It had a little magnet that clicked in/out to open and close the glass door. One time I opened the door and it literally just exploded all over me and on the floor. I found little pieces of it in my clothes later on in the day after I shop vac-ed everything up, and for months I would come across little pieces occasionally. Meanwhile, I have literally bent pinball machine glass while inserting it into games with no problems. You'd think I would have learned my lesson.

#19 4 years ago

The only piece I've broken so far was out of my MM when I first bought it and was readying it for a NOS playfield swap. Game was in the garage and I slid the glass out. As I went to slowly stand up the glass on the concrete floor (big mistake), I *barely* touched the corner of the glass to the floor. All I remember was a loud POP and the glass falling in tiny little pieces to the floor. No blood and luckily *outside* of the machine.

I don't put glass on a bare concrete floor any longer.

#20 4 years ago

The EDGE of tempered glass is the weak point.

A slight tap or nick on the edge and the whole sheet explodes.

When I was closing down my route we threw 100s of sheets of glass in the dumpster and about 20% seemed to not be tempered at all - scary.

#21 4 years ago

You can tell if glass is tempered by putting on a pair of polarized sunglasses and tilting your head around till you see black lines in it at a 45 degree angle. Has to do with the way it cools apparently. Neat trick.

And it may just save your life!
Themoreyouknow.jpg

1 week later
#22 4 years ago

I've had two break while handling them. Both were being pulled from a game, in my hands, and just as I'm clearing the lockbar latch mechanism both just shattered in my hands. No stress on the glasses - just lots of little pieces everywhere. The second of the two occurred when I had just delivered an IJ I had just completed shopping. It was sitting in the owner's garage and I pulled the glass to reinstall the gun shooter handle. I was very glad it waited until it was not over the freshly shopped playfield to break.

I've also dropped glasses without any damage to the glass. So I'm convinced it's just a matter of "it's time is up" when these decide to break.

#23 4 years ago

Hi,
Let me in the club.

I bought 7 backglasses, coming from hand to hand (car to car ..) by relations and friends through the country.
And finally, was in family to show my shoping .
Genie , quicksilver, .. Snow Queeeeennnnnnnnn ....

The only words that my friends said were "wow this snow queen is nice" and "too sad".
The glass broke in 2 seconds .

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2230&picno=26675&zoom=1

Too sad..

5 months later
#24 4 years ago

Thinking back, do any of you guys recall if you had a small static electricity shock in the instant just before the glass shattered?
Ocasionally I get a small static shock right after i get out of my truck and then touch something.

#25 4 years ago

My Star Trek Prem............not sure what happened here either.Lucky for me most of it was on the floorWP_000142.jpgWP_000143.jpg

#26 4 years ago

What a mess Malibu-SS.

I'm not actually in the club (yet), but several years ago I bought a non-working Gottlieb Pinball Pool machine, and when I got it home and started dis-assembling/cleaning/repairing it, I found quite a few pieces of broken glass down inside the cabinet.
Since I don't know the history of the machine, not sure if the glass broke on the Operator or a previous owner in an incident much like others are sharing here, or if someone in a bar or elsewhere on location smashed the glass on purpose.
The glass that came with the machine I bought had a lot of scratches, so I replaced it with a new one.

#27 4 years ago

Posted somewhere else awhile back...I'm sadly a member from about 8 months ago....

Working on my TSPP @ 1am and was lazy...decided to attempt to just lean the glass against another machine, instead of taking it all the way to the blanket I had laid out ( just an easy bulb change)..

Glass slipped out of my hand about an inch from the floor, and BAM!!!!

Oh, it was PDI, so does that make me a premium member, or just an idiot for not being careful....either way...a $400 lesson learned......

#28 4 years ago

Hey vid1900,

Over the years while operating your route, did it happen very often that some jerk smashed the glass on any of your pinball machines?
Were beer bottles ever thrown into the backglass shattering them?
Was anyone ever caught (or just fessed up) and actually paid to replace the damaged playfield glass or backglasses?

#29 4 years ago

Was setting down the playfield glass from my TZ gently onto the bare concrete floor, and it just exploded in an instant. Got a little cut on my foot, but was still finding glass shards weeks later in bizarre places (like 4 feet off the ground inside an arcade cabinet was that 6 feet away and perpendicular to the site of the incident).

IMG_0364.JPG

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Hey vid1900,
Over the years while operating your route, did it happen very often that some jerk smashed the glass on any of your pinball machines?
Were beer bottles ever thrown into the backglass shattering them?
Was anyone ever caught (or just fessed up) and actually paid to replace the damaged playfield glass or backglasses?

I've seen a bowling ball get slammed onto the pf glass on a Williams Olympic Hockey. The glass exploded. This was at Pine Tree Bowl in Dearborn, Michigan.

The operator was either Market Music Co. or Target International Coin (Gene Wagner)

The route op I worked for never had a "patron" break a PF glass while I worked for them. That honor went to us service technicians. As I mentioned before, Game Plan Sharpshooter pins were susceptible to the glass exploding while installing or removing.

#31 4 years ago

Sorry not a member (yet) but... Are there any special glass available that has something like a film on them that will prevent the pieces from scatter all over? Would be nice if the squares would stay on the film. Like car glass, that I think works in that way.

#32 4 years ago

I think it was my Bad Cats about a year ago. I can't count how many of dozens of times I've carefully set the glass on the concrete floor and leaned it on the wall with no problems but this time, CRASH! The glass just dissolves and you look like a mime holding an invisible glass. Never again.

4 months later
#33 3 years ago

Well, I'm now a member of the exploding glass club! My ST Premium was having a bit of an issue with the optical sensor in the back of the warp ramp, so I decided to take a look. I slid out the glass as always, respecting the glass as I should. It slides out great, I put it down gently and as I go to release my hands from it BOOOOM it dissolves into little pieces. I was just stunned, standing there holding air. Fortunately none of it got in the machine and it didn't pop towards my face. No cuts, just a 1/2 hour of cleanup. It was placed on a hard surface, so maybe the angle did it...or more likely, it was a poltergeist who, being irritated already about not leaving this realm, was sick of the high-pitched bonus multiplier screech (I really can't blame it for that).

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The EDGE of tempered glass is the weak point.
A slight tap or nick on the edge and the whole sheet explodes.

I am thankfully not a club member but wanted to reiterate Vid's spot on point. I recently bought new glass for my Pinbot (because the old glass was a scratched mess). As I was about to leave the local glass shop the guy there asked me how I was planning on transporting it. I told him I was going to wrap it on some towels in the back of my truck. He said fine, but be sure not to rest it on the concrete as the slightest nick to the edge would shatter it.

Looking back on this thread many of the posts involve something touching the edge of the glass. I am married and wear a ring. I take the extra precaution of holding the glass with clean rags in each hand (protects the glass edge from my ring and keeps finger prints off the back of the glass). I always set the glass edge on a clean tripled up towel and then as I lean the sheet against the wall I put my carrying rags between the glass and the wall.

I have also started making a habit out of running a q-tip through the glass channel periodically to be sure the is no debris in there before putting the glass back in the machine.

#35 3 years ago

Had a Scared Stiff back glass explode in my hands. It didn't bump into anything, just BOOM! I was left holding the translite and a couple of trim pieces. That was the first and only time I've had this happen.

#36 3 years ago

Broke my BSD backglass. It had the plastic edge so I figured I was safe.. Sat it down on the garage floor. Pop. Ugh.

#37 3 years ago

I just knocked over a playfield glass a few nights ago and watched it slide a few inches across the garage floor without breaking. almost like it was a piece of paper. I also just broke a mint Eight Ball backglass when i knocked the head of the machine against a door frame moving it back on location with a pinball dolly. sucks just installed a CPR playfield. i really love translites. WTB Eight Ball translite.

#38 3 years ago

While renovating our basement all my games were hauled into the garage. My lovely children decided for whatever reason that my Star Slugger would make a nice bench. Both of them sat on the glass. Both went through the glass. Obviously 60 yr old glass isn't tempered. They were very lucky that they didn't slice themselves to ribbons.

#39 3 years ago

IMG_1297.jpg

#40 3 years ago

I broke a sheet of new glass while cleaning out a game that already had a sheet broken in game. Had a ton of fun cleaning up two sheets worth at once, that sucked!

#41 3 years ago

See pic above. Was delivered this way.

#42 3 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought my first nib Stern Machine. A Metallica Premium.

I had read about all sorts of enhancements/mods here on pinside while waiting for it to show up, so when that beautiful day arrived, the first thing I did was install a non glare glass I had already bought. The new Stern glass was taken off the machine and stored in my bedroom for the time being.

A couple of months later I was selling a machine that had a non glare glass on and decided to switch it with the new Stern glass. I picked it up and hold it with both hands, and then there was a strange sensation that lasted for just a fraction of a second.

Next thing I knew was me standing there with nothing in my hands but with what felt like a million tiny glass crystals all over the floor, in my bed, in my hair and on my cloths.

Me? Not a scratch, but the experience put a good fright in me for sure. Still, it could have been so much worse. No game or individuals harmed so I was apparently luckier than some others.

When I tried to clean up everything, the biggest glass piece by far was one piece with the Stern sticker still covering it.(exactly the same size as the sticker)

Still finding small shards from time to time, even to this day.

#43 3 years ago

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from MrDucks:

image.jpg image_1.jpg

Damn Dube, that sucks a$$. I'd that to have a NIB experience like that.

#45 3 years ago

Never broke one myself, the recent sf2 pickup the seller contacts me that morning "yea, umm.. while cleaning the glass, it shattered in my hands". my only response is "PLEASE tell me it happened out of the machine", to which he replied "yes". That's all I needed to hear, I replace the glass on every machine I buy for 3 reasons:
1. Glass is cheap, especially when you're so close to pinball life
2. Every machine I've ever bought has scratches on the glass, and it drives me nuts staring at it
3. You never know how stressed the current glass is, and I don't want to take that chance. Yes new glass "could" break, but I'll take my odds with new vs old

I felt bad that he had the ice cube glass shards lying all over his garage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, MD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,299 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, NE
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
5,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 3.70
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centreville, MD
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 71.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside