Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RonSS
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 10.54.50 AM (resized).png
AGB fuse holder broken (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

Al's Garage Band

Getting AGB all tuned up to play,checking fuses and notice that I'm missing F9. No sweat, I'll just pop one (the right one) in. Oh, the slot is too large and the fuse keeps falling out, guess I'll have to bend it back, , , snap!

So, now what do I do? I'm not willing to solder on my board at this time. Wires, sure, boards, nope.

I was thinking of creating a jumper, heading to an auto parts store and grabbing a fuse holder, just as a temporary measure, but what is the "solution"?

AGB fuse holder broken (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Buy new fuse clips. Use alligator jumpers to connect from remaining tabs to new clips. Put fuse in new clips.

Use machine for a very short time. Enjoy. Pull board and install new fuse clips.

NOTE: Very short time! This can be used to verify a fix but in this case it has been pointed out this is a GI circuit and will likely burn up your test leads.

#3 2 years ago

Really, you need to do this right. Get new fuse clips and replace them or get someone to help you do it. It's not that bad!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Buy new fuse clips. Use alligator jumpers to connect from remaining tabs to new clips. Put fuse in new clips.
Use machine for a very short time. Enjoy. Pull board and install new fuse clips.

Hadn't thought of that, that's much easier!

Quoted from awarner:

Really, you need to do this right. Get new fuse clips and replace them or get someone to help you do it. It's not that bad!

Yes, I'd love to do it correctly, but as I said, I'm not certain of the procedure. Do the holders just "clip" in and out, or do I have to desolder, then etc, etc? That's the part I'd find someone to do for me.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Hadn't thought of that, that's much easier!

Yes, I'd love to do it correctly, but as I said, I'm not certain of the procedure. Do the holders just "clip" in and out, or do I have to desolder, then etc, etc? That's the part I'd find someone to do for me.

Don't use gator clips. that is a gi fuse... too much current.

Your going to need to desolder those out for a proper repair.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Where would I find such a person/establishment that does this? There is a computer repair up the road from me, I guess I could check there. Any other suggestions?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

This is correct. A GI circuit will just burn your alligator leads.

Edited my previous response

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

There is a computer repair up the road from me

Most computer repair shops don't do circuit-board level repair, so they wouldn't have any soldering tools.

A lot of people do their own game repairs, or you can mail the board to a pinball board repair place.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Board_Repair_Services

#9 2 years ago

ForceFlow is correct, computer repair shops generally just plug in new hardware, not repair it. Perhaps you can find a fellow Pinsider nearby to help you out? If all else fails, I'd be happy to fix it for you if you pay for shipping and parts.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Where would I find such a person/establishment that does this? There is a computer repair up the road from me, I guess I could check there. Any other suggestions?

Come on up to Albany this weekend and I'll replace it for you. There's even a tournament on Saturday you could go to.

It should be noted that, this being the GI, it's fine to play the game without that fuse in. It'll just be dark.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Come on up to Albany this weekend and I'll replace it for you. There's even a tournament on Saturday you could go to.
It should be noted that, this being the GI, it's fine to play the game without that fuse in. It'll just be dark.

Oh man, wish I could this weekend; mom's birthday - so no go.

OK, so I flipped the switch, lots of flashing, but no steady lights (GI).

Turns out I have some switch issues too! I was hoping this wasn't going to be a project, but it's starting to look that way. Hopefully all easy fixes. Deep breathes, one step at a time.

Quoted from NoMonkey:

ForceFlow is correct, computer repair shops generally just plug in new hardware, not repair it. Perhaps you can find a fellow Pinsider nearby to help you out? If all else fails, I'd be happy to fix it for you if you pay for shipping and parts.

That's a very generous offer, thank you. I'll check my immediate area for any Pinsiders. If no one is up to the task, you may have a package coming!

Thanks for the help all.

#12 2 years ago

reach out to one of these folks:
https://pinside.com/pinball/map/pinsiders

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 10.54.50 AM (resized).png

#13 2 years ago

Yup,
I've been in contact with one, we were planning a meeting, so I just let him know it may be a working lunch!

#14 2 years ago

OK - You mark all of the connectors with a sharpie with the number on the board before you pull them off. Take the board out. Desolder the clip with either a solder sucker or desoldering braid. Put the new one on and solder it in. It take a LOT longer to get the board in and out than it does to do this job. It's an easy repair and will get you ready to do more difficult repairs like connector pins and components. Honestly, this is part of the hobby that you need to tackle to take it to the next level! I find it exciting to do this stuff and get it working again.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

OK - You mark all of the connectors with a sharpie with the number on the board before you pull them off. Take the board out. Desolder the clip with either a solder sucker or desoldering braid. Put the new one on and solder it in. It take a LOT longer to get the board in and out than it does to do this job. It's an easy repair and will get you ready to do more difficult repairs like connector pins and components. Honestly, this is part of the hobby that you need to tackle to take it to the next level! I find it exciting to do this stuff and get it working again.

Hey, thanks for the step by step, that's kind of what I need.

I went ahead and ordered the clips, should be here by tomorrow. I've found a local pinsider that can walk me through the process as well so I don't screw up my board!

Thanks for the help, I truly appreciate it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 400.00
Playfields
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Great American Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 149.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.99
Various Other Swag
Circus Maximus
$ 34.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 26.50
$ 230.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside