You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3217 (resized).JPG
IMG_3215 (resized).JPG
IMG_3152 (1) (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I am working on the chime box for a 1977 Williams Argosy. The hole in the retaining post where the retaining pin goes through has elongated and broken (see attached picture). Does anyone have recommendation on how to fix this or do I need to get a new chime box?

IMG_3152 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_3152 (1) (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Do you know anyone who can weld?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do you know anyone who can weld?

I do know some welders. I guess they could weld the top together and I could do some drill and file work to shape it. Has anyone tried this approach? Any other recommendations?

#4 6 years ago

If you can find one, I'd replace it with a Gottlieb or even a Bally chime box. Williams did a lot of things well, but making chime boxes wasn't one of them. Horrible, clanky, no matter how well you rebuild them.

#5 6 years ago

I've seen people thread on an acorn nut or a push nut.

You could also (after rebuilding the rest of the chime unit) fix the broken end with a dab of JB Weld epoxy.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If you can find one, I'd replace it with a Gottlieb or even a Bally chime box. Williams did a lot of things well, but making chime boxes wasn't one of them. Horrible, clanky, no matter how well you rebuild them.

Nah! That's part of the character of Williams games; the clanky sounding chimes! I did rebuild the chime unit on a "Blue Chip" a while back, and the clankiness was greatly diminished.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Sodacrack:

I do know some welders. I guess they could weld the top together and I could do some drill and file work to shape it. Has anyone tried this approach? Any other recommendations?

Instead of welding you could make a piece of sheet metal 1/4 inch wide and an inch or so long. Drill a small hole near one end for the retaining wire, and 2 holes near the other end to screw it to the chime box.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Instead of welding you could make a piece of sheet metal 1/4 inch wide and an inch or so long. Drill a small hole near one end for the retaining wire, and 2 holes near the other end to screw it to the chime box.

This is best solution I ever heard of. Simple and easy. I have 2 old chime boxes I'm going to try this on. Thanks.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

This is best solution I ever heard of. Simple and easy. I have 2 old chime boxes I'm going to try this on. Thanks.

Post us some pictures OK?

#11 6 years ago

Bend it. Works fine on my Fun-Fest.

#12 6 years ago

I am going to attempt a repair. I will post my results when I am finished. Thanks for the recommendations.

1 week later
#13 6 years ago

I made a repair using JB Weld. See attached photos. I will post an update if it fails.

IMG_3215 (resized).JPGIMG_3215 (resized).JPG

IMG_3217 (resized).JPGIMG_3217 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broken-chime-box-post and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.