(Topic ID: 214226)

Broke Man's Buying Tips?

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180409_201612099 (resized).jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

If having the money and spending it is really the issue, why not just give your "payment" to a good friend or family member to tuck away for you out of sight until you hit your goal?
    You say you want one machine to enjoy, but that you also want a cheap T2 or something, and also to build a collection...which is it? I think you just need to decide which of these you really want and shoot for it. Is T2 your favorite game from back in the day and it's been your dream to own one? Make that the goal. It sounds like your goal is to own a pinball machine that costs around 3K and maybe flip it later.
    I (personally) think you need to find out what will make you happy and you'll enjoy and shoot for that. Do you just want to own a pinball machine to say you have one, or is there one you really have your heart set on? Flipping games for a profit is a viable plan, but as you're currently experiencing, you need to do it smart and be able to move and store games while repairing them without getting upside down in them to actually make money. Are you able to repair games? Because anything you buy real cheap is going to need alot of work and time, otherwise you're going to be spending hours to make 50 bucks.
    In summary, figure out what game you really want and save. Don't buy something just to say you have it. Pinball machines are awesome. Pinball machines you bought for the sake of buying and don't enjoy are not awesome.

Well I would like a T2 for two reasons.

1. It is a lower priced pin from the 90's
    2. I love that game personally.

There are other I could put on that list. That was just one example.

I was just trying to let folks know I wasn't trying to be dumb and struggle for an AF or MB or something in the higher tier.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from aitrus1:

TNT amusements does layaway

That is funny you said that because while zi was watching his last basement bargins videp I heard Todd saying something along the line of "such and such is still making payments". So I had a feeling they did.

But... I have heard their work is "questionable". But that is the one of the reasons posted this topic.

I actually googled the layaway topic and found a place called pinballsandgames, but my problem is I don't know who to trust giving money too and hoping they don't vanish.

I trust a lot of you guys because most of you are big time buyers with more knowledge in dealers.

#53 6 years ago

Be a lint salesman your good at it! lol

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

That is my weakness. I probably should have titled this "the undisiplined mans buying guide" instead of broke.
    But then again spending my disposable income makes me broke lol.
    Are there any pin sellers out there that do payments/layaway plans?
    Do they exist?
    I'm honestly not looking for a NIB or anything. Just trying to get something like a cheap T2 or something $2-3k. Then I can later trade it with cash and slowly build my collection.
    I just want one home machine to enjoy.

If you put in the time to network, you can work into deals. Visit bars, pool halls, bowling alleys, laundromats - basically anywhere a pin might be. Once you find some busted pins, if you can be around enough, you can work a deal in many cases to buy them. Find two broken pins in a location, offer to fix one if they let you buy the other for $500 (or whatever is fair). Or offer to buy broken, dirty, badly maintained pins outright.

The trick is figuring out what's where in a 30-50 mile radius of your house. That takes time and determination - and more than just a walkthrough. Have a drink, play a game, strike up some conversation. Even if you find a location with pool tables and a broken arcade game, but no pins, that could mean there's some broken pins in the warehouse of that operator, so be around when they collect and make friends with them. You can get 2000 and up era pins for $1500 or less if you play your cards right. Even if they're not the ones you want, you can fix and flip to get some money for the pin you really want.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I actually googled the layaway topic and found a place called pinballsandgames, but my problem is I don't know who to trust giving money too and hoping they don't vanish.
    I trust a lot of you guys because most of you are big time buyers with more knowledge in dealers.

Why would you do layaway? You get zero earnings from layaway. Even if you put it in savings, at least it's insured and you EARN SOMETHING on the money while it's sitting in the savings acct until you have enough to buy what you want.

#56 6 years ago

Start out small. Get a Meteor or a Space Shuttle then turn that into a Taxi. Turn the Taxi into a Whirlwind and so on. Many people have done things like this and you can too! Patience is a virtue.

#57 6 years ago

I wanted to personally thank each and everyone of you for your time and input. I personally value your opinions and hope to one day build my collection up!

I am sure you all know the joy these machines bring and have all been at the bottom where I currently am. I look at some of your collections and it blows my mind at just how many some of you own.

I am lucky enough to have a cheap pinball arcade 30 mins from home that gives all day play for $12.00 and he has 25 pins (many being top 10 machines).

But I still long for the day I can play my favorites at home and not have to grind it out at the arcade trying to get in all I can before close time. A lot of the time I burn myself out where if I was at home I could take more breaks and play on my own schedule.

Plus they just look and sounds so nice in the house!

Once again thanks for all of the input/suggestions. I am going to work on saving more money up and try to disipline myself more on not touching my savings.

If I have to go the SS route and then trade my way up I will. I know my current pin will not fetch much and personally I don't want to sell my "first pin". It is nice knowing I can always see and play the machine that I started on.
    I put a lot of time into learning to repair EM's just to get this one running, so I now have a pretty tight bond to that pin and would love to see it in my collection forever.

Take it easy everyone,

Thank!!

#58 6 years ago

My advice is to start w the classics from the early 80s. You can find them for 600-800. You don't want to blow your load on the first pump, if you know what I'm saying.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Lay out a number you can live with so we can get a better idea what is feasible. I've seen some really decent machines for what I thought were good prices, like the $1000-1500 range. You have to be patient and watch watch watch. These won't be perfect but so-called "players quality" can still be plenty good.
    Sometimes maybe it is a matter of focus. I know plenty of people who buy themselves a $4 Starbucks every day. I probably have literally 10 times the money they have and I can barely stand buying one a month. I make my own coffee. Simple math - $4 a day is $120 a month is $1,440 a year. Make your own coffee for a year, buy yourself a pinball!

^^^^^^
    This right here. Started doing this with breakfast sandwiches which were good and cheap at $3 but do it at home and that's a savings of $15/wk, $60/month, $720/year....
    Thanks
    Blake

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Anonymouse:

Pay cash for what you buy everyday. Coffee, smokes, beer, Mickey D's for lunch... whatever. Only use 5s or bigger bills. Pocket your ones and put them away in a drawer. They add up. Couple this with cashing in change you can build fun money faster than you'd think.

Great advice! I bought my first computer with change I saved. I never used my change when I made a purchase,all change had to go in my 5 gallon spring water carboy.I like your idea about saving the ones too!

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blake:

^^^^^^
    This right here. Started doing this with breakfast sandwiches which were good and cheap at $3 but do it at home and that's a savings of $15/wk, $60/month, $720/year....
    Thanks
    Blake

I always packed my lunch and my morning break, during my whole career.It drove me crazy, when the younger Carpenters, would buy their morning break and their lunch,from the lunch truck. Ten dollars a day,adds up to a ton of money by the end of the year. Most of them never listened to me, and just thought I was a cheap bastard.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

I always packed my lunch and my morning break, during my whole career.It drove me crazy, when the younger Carpenters, would buy their morning break and their lunch,from the lunch truck. Ten dollars a day,adds up to a ton of money by the end of the year. Most of them never listened to me, and just thought I was a cheap bastard.

But are you a cheap bastard with pinball machines?

There is so much good advice for the OP, save up to buy a game if you need to finance a pin I would say don't buy it. I also agree with if you want to buy a pin and don't have the money from what you are doing now then consider finding some extra work to save up for it. Others gave good advice sell the game you have now if you aren't into it find another fix it play it sell it work your way up to what you want. This takes time but is doable I know people that have worked their way up to new in box games by doing this, it takes time but can be done. I see nothing wrong with layaway if you can find someone that offers that, and then when you get it you have paid for it. This may take some time but it would be yours when it was paid for. If you do finance or layaway a pin find away to come up with the money quicker to pay it off, extra work or some of the money saving tips people have given you.

By the way I'm a cheap bastard with pins that are paid for with what I call crazy money (no new pins that wouldn't be what a cheap bastard buys), cars that are paid for (yes I had to finance my newer cars but make every effort to pay them off as soon as I can).

#63 6 years ago

I've got 4 words for ya...

Almost new cowboy boots.

#64 6 years ago

when i got into pinball I was broke as a joke. Working for like 10$ an hour full time. economy sucked and the games where a lot cheaper.

What i did was buy broken, beat up bally / stern / wms projects. They where affordable to me and it forced me to learn to fix as I had no money for replacement boards or even to pay to people to fix my broken boards. If I wanted to play, I had to fix and was determined.

#65 6 years ago

This might be one of the worst threads i bothered to skim over. And post in.
    Wtf.

#66 6 years ago

My honest advise is, if you can't pay cash, don't buy a pinball machine. I know others do, but I wouldn't want to be in debt for something that's not a necessity. I still feel like I have zero budget when it comes to pinball. I think the trick is enjoying what you have. You've got an EM. Play the hell out of it and also start playing some games on route or at conventions.

#67 6 years ago

The OP should also be aware that there are no broken pins just sitting around bars anymore waiting for you to come buy them.

As of last year, they have all been bought.

Even working pins in bars have signs on them NOT to call the operator inquiring about buying them, because operators get 20 calls a day from idiots thinking they are going to sell it to them for $1000.

"Heyyyyyy, I saw you have an old pinball machine at Harry's in Cinci. I was wondering if you......" Those get deleted instantly.

IMG_20180409_201612099 (resized).jpgIMG_20180409_201612099 (resized).jpg

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The OP should also be aware that there are no broken pins just sitting around bars anymore.

Game works in Newport KY needs to have a word with you. There’s a nest of broken games there.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Game works in Newport KY needs to have a word with you. There’s a nest of broken games there.

You should offer to buy those "old pinball games" for $1000 each!

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You should offer to buy those "old pinball games" for $1000 each!

You haven’t seen them. At this point they are worth the boards and that’s it. So I’d say $1000 max. Just blows my mind that they even have them on the floor still. No way they are getting more than a handful of swipes a day at like 50 cents a swipe.

#71 6 years ago

OP: Broke Man's Buying tips?

Find a broke man's hobby?

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

OP: Broke Man's Buying tips:
    Find a broke man's hobby?

Belly button lint collecting hasn’t burst its bubble yet.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The OP should also be aware that there are no broken pins just sitting around bars anymore waiting for you to come buy them.
    Even working pins in bars have signs on them NOT to call the operator inquiring about buying them, because operators get 20 calls a day from idiots thinking they are going to sell it to them for $1000.
    "Heyyyyyy, I saw you have an old pinball machine at Harry's in Cinci. I was wondering if you......" Those get deleted instantly.

Nope. Bought two late model "bar pins" last year. Probably still get some more in the future. It doesn't happen OFTEN, but it still DOES happen. They ARE out there, but probably not in areas with high population density.

#74 6 years ago

Hmmm...I just give my wife all my money. Lucky for me she is bigger cheap skate than me.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Start out small. Get a Meteor or a Space Shuttle then turn that into a Taxi. Turn the Taxi into a Whirlwind and so on. Many people have done things like this and you can too! Patience is a virtue.

Yep... i started out with a smb(4years ago) that needed lots of work. I bought projects and fixed them up and sold or traded them for better stuff. Ive now owned most b/w pins ive wanted and have bought many pins nib. If i was to get out of the hobby and sell everything (including parts) id probably be up 10-15k from what i have in . Not bad for fixing up and playing with toys lol. Its been a fun 4 years thats for sure.

#76 6 years ago

Fellow broke guy here. Just getting back into pinball almost 20 years after selling off my bargain machines. I had $15 tied up in 3 machines. You didn't misread that. Fifteen dollars. I was in the right place at the right time. Now they weren't STTNG special gold plated edition modded out led packed etc... But I played the crap out of them. And now i kinda miss it. So I just bought a Firepower that's in pretty tough shape for $150. It needs a whole cabinet, but I patched it up enough to get it playing, just waiting for my boards to come back. If I like it I'll build a whole new cabinet, probably out of furniture grade materials and finished like a piece of fine furniture so SWMBO might be more likely to let it in the house. If you have champagne tastes and a beer budget, find a beer you like. In fact, if I had $5000 extra laying around, I probably wouldn't spend it on a pinball. I'd put a clutch in my Alfa-Romeo, finish my MG, build a new kitchen, or any number of things that give me even more enjoyment than pinball (sacrelige on a pinball forum I know) if you have a place nearby where you can play high end titles and can keep an old EM or low end SS around to sharpen your flipper skills so your hard earned quarters will last longer on those other machines, I'd call that a win. And keep a few bucks free in case lightning does strike, like the guy who just posted here who bought 3 DMD era tables for $300! Or closer to home, when I bought my '55 Chevy at a yard sale for a third of its value. Right place, right time, you don't get to choose, leave that to the rich guys who can have what they want when they want it. Guys like us, we need patience, skills, a little luck and the wisdom to jump when the time comes!

#77 6 years ago

Also... I'm planning on leaving the coin mechs operational in my machines to help fund the hobby. If I wanna play, I'd better find a quarter!

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from aitrus1:

TNT amusements does layaway

They also do throwaway:

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I actually really enjoy SS and would own one in a heartbeat. And Taxi! Taxi is in my top 10 pins. I absolutely love that pin. Not as advanced as some but has plenty of rules and a great layout. I guess I should have included late 80's in there. I tried to work a deal with someone last week on his 2nd Taxi but he already sold it sadly.

Basically would be happy with anything with ramps and a variety of targets and good rules.

Just bored of popbumpers, rollovers and drop targets only. EM's and early SS systems are ok, but get boring rather quickly.

Thanks for the other ideas!

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

They also do throwaway:
    » YouTube video

I almost cried the first time I saw that video. It is that video and those horrendus TNT Quality stickers he sticks on aprons that make my hate Todd at times lol.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

This might be one of the worst threads i bothered to skim over. And post in.
    Wtf.

And yet..... here you are

#82 6 years ago

patience buddy!! Take your time and save up!! Just save a few bucks a day and soon it will add up!! I’m glad we have a place like Uptown Pinball nearby so you have the opportunity to play some nice pins. At times it’s nice to go play and let the owner take care of the maintenance, we just get to enjoy the pinball! See ya there

#83 6 years ago

Quickest way I can think of is sell enough blood, plasma, sperm. Get a cheap handgun. Then start knocking over liquor stores.

Be sure and wear a Pinside shirt so we can see on the news how you are doing.

LTG : )

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Nope. Bought two late model "bar pins" last year.

Yep. Last year.

Quoted from vid1900:

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yep. Last year.

Meh. Hope springs eternal. Pretty sure I'll get a few more before they all dry up.

#86 6 years ago

You never know.

James "King of Cranes" lost a few Crane games when a movie theater went out of business.

8 years latter, a new owner bought the theater, and called James to "Get these things out of my building!".

The new owner made him take his two cranes but also forced him to take a few pins and a photo booth.

We joked that the extra machines were interest on the cranes that were not earning.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Where has this been all my life! Green Bay does have some Pinball!!

Try using the pinside map (where to play)

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

patience buddy!! Take your time and save up!! Just save a few bucks a day and soon it will add up!! I’m glad we have a place like Uptown Pinball nearby so you have the opportunity to play some nice pins. At times it’s nice to go play and let the owner take care of the maintenance, we just get to enjoy the pinball! See ya there

Absolutly man! I am so glad we have that place close by! Before he opened I had nothing but Pinball Arcade on Playstation hehe.

I still desire to have 1 or 2 good ones at the house to fullfill those out of the blue pin cravings.

You are proof as well that you can start small and trade your way up. I'm working on saving as we speak. I kind of thought about doing a layaway so that way I could make payments and maybe not even think about it much and just treat it like a normal monthly bill. But honestly most of the places I found only carry high end pins and the deposits were so high I would have to save regardless.

Just need to disipline myself more and start around 1985 and work my way up! Lol

See ya at U.P. soon!

#89 6 years ago

Read all of waspinat0r 's threads and do the exact opposite of what he did.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Read all of waspinat0r 's threads and do the exact opposite of what he did.

Sad, but true. I miss wasp. Hope he’s doing ok

1 week later
    #91 6 years ago

Pin Babysitter! I have six pins and only own two. A friend that gave me the final push to buy a pin years ago moved out of the country due to a job opening for a few years. It was only suppose to be one year but it has sorta ballooned into a three year stint. He wanted someone that would take care of his pins while he was gone. He didn't like the idea of letting them sit in storage. I am known by friends and co-workers that I take very good care of everything I own or use. So he asked me if I would like to take his pins for awhile. So with that I told him, "Sure thing and I will make sure they are in better shape then when you left them". Been almost two years and he is not regretting it. Fixed things that didn't work as well as made some mods for him.

1 month later
    #92 5 years ago

Gonzo, did you ever find anything?

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broke-mans-buying-tips/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.