(Topic ID: 214226)

Broke Man's Buying Tips?

By g0nz0

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180409_201612099 (resized).jpg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Update:

I believe I got enough help and insight to get me in the right direct so no need bothing you guys for any additional input. Thank you to everyone thay offered advice! Hopefully I get a good plan together and can get another pin soon!!

Hello Fellow PinHeads!

I come to you all today, with pockets full of lint, asking for broke man's buying advice.

I DESPERATELY want to own another pin. I currently only own one but it is an older EM that I don't find very entertaining. I do play it from time time but it is so basic I lose interest in it quickly. I only purcased it because it was dirt cheap and needed repair. I am not putting EM's down. I know some people prefer them but they are not my taste so to speak.

As with the majority of pinheads I want something 90's and up as they tend to offer the more exciting rule sets. Ramps, targets, objectives, etc.

Sadly I didn't get in early as a lot of high number collectors did. So at the moment it feels like I am attempting to purchase a used or even brand new car when I look at the prices. Even when I look at the lower priced 90's pins they are expensive to me.

I am asking for help on finding options for someone in my current situation. My dreams and fantasys of being around some rich pinhead with truckloads of machines on the day they decide to give some away are far fetched, so I am hoping to find realistic, viable options.

I have heard that someone does raffles? Like a lottery with low ticket sells? Is this true? And if so could you provide details? I almost remember seeing an ad or something on pinside about this, but can't locate it.

I would also consider possibly doing a layaway program and slowly pay one off overtime but I do not know which company to trust in this matter. I also don't want to get taken advantage of using the wrong company. So any suggestions would be great!

I recently had to finance a new vehicle for my job so currently my credit is used up so any type of credit financing wouldn't be an option. And when it comes to just saving money, I'll be honest with you, I am horrible at it! (hence the reason I would like to find a layaway option to help me put payments somewhere that l couldn't touch them!).

So thanks in advance for any suggestion or ideas that might put me on a solid path to having one of these wonderful, more modern, machines in my home!

#2 6 years ago

The charity raffle is Project pinball . They are legit . As far as layaway I’m thinking savings account .

#3 6 years ago

offer free storage to other collectors in your area on the agreement that you can play the games all you want.

#4 6 years ago

No offense, u are not in a desperate need for a pin, u need to get ur finances right. A pinballmachine is just a really expensive toy. In our country, the unspoken rule, is to "invest" maximum 1/4 of ur savings/income into something that could lose it's whole value.

#5 6 years ago

Fix up the EM, sell it for more than you bought it for, buy another project. Rinse and repeat.

BTW, a pinball machine should never be.something you finance or put on credit.

#6 6 years ago

1. Be patient
    2. Check with operators in your area for any routed machines
    3. Get a second job for “fun money”. I got my real estate license and do it on the side. Sell a house = new pin!

#7 6 years ago

Even if you had credit, that is not really recommended for luxury items like pinball machines. The prudent thing is to save your credit for important housing expenses and emergencies.
    Once you get your finances under control, you should consider dialing down your expectations. There are some great early solid state games. Learn about repair as well...most likely the most affordable pins are going to be those in need of repair. The caution here is biting off more than you can chew: parts and tools can add up quick. If you don't take the proper care to become educated about the inner workings your economical project pin could turn into a money pit.

#8 6 years ago

To give you some tough love - If you do not want to save up for something or not willing to work a little extra or a little harder for something then you don’t really want it enough.

Work on those things first and you can get a pin or many other things in life. I would focus on “needs” first. Pinball is a “want”.

I hope you make some adjustments and get whatever you are looking for, whether it be a Pinball or anything else you need. It really isn’t that hard to save once you get started.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

Fix up the EM, sell it for more than you bought it for, buy another project. Rinse and repeat.

This.

#10 6 years ago

First, join your local league so you are in touch with the natives that might have some games to sell you.

Next, save up what you want to spend, let's say save $3500.

Once you have your budget, you will have great clarity as to what games you could buy.

Having a fixed budget will keep you from overspending.

You should also sell all the crap you have sitting around your house. Sell the RAM from your old computer, sell the car amps & speakers from your old car, sell that bass guitar you have sitting in the closet.

#11 6 years ago

Find an old lady with a bunch of pins, marry her, then reap a windfall in 15-30 years

#12 6 years ago

See If your local Plasma donation center will pay you for "donating" Eat a big breakfast 5-6 cups of coffee then hit up the Plasma banks If you go to more then one a day use different arms.

#13 6 years ago

get a second job. if you are too busy working then you cant spend the money, so saving it up would be easier. save enough for the pin then quit second job. hell i used to claim 0 exemptions on taxes at work so more was taken out, so when i did my taxes every year, i knew i would get back a nice chunk to help fund a new pin.

#14 6 years ago

Lay out a number you can live with so we can get a better idea what is feasible. I've seen some really decent machines for what I thought were good prices, like the $1000-1500 range. You have to be patient and watch watch watch. These won't be perfect but so-called "players quality" can still be plenty good.

Sometimes maybe it is a matter of focus. I know plenty of people who buy themselves a $4 Starbucks every day. I probably have literally 10 times the money they have and I can barely stand buying one a month. I make my own coffee. Simple math - $4 a day is $120 a month is $1,440 a year. Make your own coffee for a year, buy yourself a pinball!

#15 6 years ago

Another voice of “reason” here, echoing much of the above.

If you are “broke”, then my tip is simply “don’t buy yet”. Pinball is supposed to be FUN above all else; if it requires that you do ANYTHING to the detriment of youself or your family, it will strip some of the joy out of the experience and it won’t be worth it in the end (plus you’ll end up burning out on pinball, which is a little tragic - believe me, I’ve seen it in pinball and elsewhere).

Do not go into debt and do not forego other obligations or priorities either. Don’t sacrifice a needed home improvement expenditure or compromise your family’s vacation plans to save bucks for pinball, for example.

The fact that you took the time to write a well-worded question and seek advice here indicates that you are a mature, sensible person; as such, you probably experience some anxiety and second-guessing when you make potentially significant choices such as spending a chunk of cash on something nonessential - it’s simply in your nature to do the responsible thing. Therefore you’ll never really be happy with any pinball (or other hobby/toy) expenditure if you betray this and allow any weight to remain attached, such as financial debt or guilt due neglecting some other higher priority aspect of your life.

All that being said, there is some great practical strategies and advice in most of the posts above mine, any of which could lead to a game in your house with minimal risk or painful sacrifice. (Pinnyhead, vid, PinsideTroll, and xsvtoys in particular are 100% speaking the truth!)

#16 6 years ago

be a player, not an owner
    owning pinball macines is expensive, something always needs fixing

pay off your car loan

#17 6 years ago

I just bought the games on the pinball arcade, much cheaper than one table. Someday you will be able to afford a real machine but you have to be realistic.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gunske:

No offense, u are not in a desperate need for a pin, u need to get ur finances right. A pinballmachine is just a really expensive toy. In our country, the unspoken rule, is to "invest" maximum 1/4 of ur savings/income into something that could lose it's whole value.

No offense taken. I actually make decent money, just have a lot of expenses at the moment. (From a shady business deal I was presented). I took on a delivery route which caused me to have to purchase a new vehicle and other operating supplies. The profits I made were a LOT lower than agreed upon so I had to switch employement). So at the moment I am stuck paying off business expenses to a route I no longer own. Once I get all of this paid off I'll be in a much better place.

I know a lot of people buy pins and don't pay their bills. I am not one of those. I take care of all of my expenses first but want to find a way to get a pin over time.

My flaw is I spend my disposable income on other stuff instead of saving it. So my finances are in order as in I don't spend money I don't have. I just have problems saving thousands of dollars to buy a pin with cash of you get what I mean.

Your average person couldn't buy a car with cash so they finance one. Well this new vehicle currently has my credit tied up. So I'm looking for an alternate option basically.

The money is there, just need to find a good layaway plan or something I can pay down to avoid digging into the savings account.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

BTW, a pinball machine should never be.something you finance or put on credit.

I thought about doing that. Flipping my way slowly up to a nicer one but from the research I have done I believe to get my pin in perfect condition I would have to spend twice its value.

It isn't a very high valued model honestly and the playfield is flaking paint so it would cost a bundle to repair

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

My flaw is I spend my disposable income on other stuff instead of saving it.

You just figured it out.

Resist buying other stuff, sell the stuff you no longer use or enjoy, pool together your goal amount, and buy yourself that pinball machine.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyThom:

You just figured it out.
    Resist buying other stuff, sell the stuff you no longer use or enjoy, pool together your goal amount, and buy yourself that pinball machine.

That is my weakness. I probably should have titled this "the undisiplined mans buying guide" instead of broke.

But then again spending my disposable income makes me broke lol.

Are there any pin sellers out there that do payments/layaway plans?

Do they exist?

I'm honestly not looking for a NIB or anything. Just trying to get something like a cheap T2 or something $2-3k. Then I can later trade it with cash and slowly build my collection.

I just want one home machine to enjoy.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

That is my weakness. I probably should have titled this "the undisiplined mans buying guide" instead of broke.
    Do they exist?
    I'm honestly not looking for a NIB or anything. Just trying to get something like a cheap T2 or something $2-3k. Then I can later trade it with cash and slowly build my collection.

everyone is telling you the same thing, learn to save, THEN buy a game

#23 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Honestly I was hoping someone could recommend a trustworthy company that would allow me to make payment over time. And if you know of one please share.

But if they don't exist I guess I'll have to displine myself more on not touching my savings or maybe look into setting up something with my bank.

I appreciate the input and thanks for not bashing on me too hard.

#24 6 years ago

Your going to have a hard time finding some sucker to take payments on a toy. I had a guy come over a few weeks ago from a Craigslist ad I posted for a $700 EM and after spending 2 hours playing all my other machines he says "will you take payments? I had no respect for the guy and threw him out. Advice- Save and buy your game.

#25 6 years ago

Learn to love the cheap pin! Honestly, I enjoy early solid states the most. Maybe it's because they were the first pins I remember playing but I love their easy to learn, tough to complete rulesets. To me there have never been more perfect pins than Joker Poker, Eight Ball Deluxe, or Flash Gordon. Try to get to know this era of pin. You may be surprised. A lot of people like the bells and whistles of modern pins, but I think there's something to be said for the classic SS era.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Your going to have a hard time finding some sucker to take payments on a toy. I had a guy come over a few weeks ago from a Craigslist ad I posted for a $700 EM and after spending 2 hours playing all my other machines he says "will you take payments? I had no respect for the guy and threw him out. Advice- Save and buy your game.

Not a personal seller, I meant a business that sold them. I would never make payment to a person and have them hold machine till paid. Way too risky hehe

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

I thought about doing that. Flipping my way slowly up to a nicer one but from the research I have done I believe to get my pin in perfect condition I would have to spend twice its value.
    It isn't a very high valued model honestly and the playfield is flaking paint so it would cost a bundle to repair

The problem I have with this statement is the "perfect condition". I've never had a pin in perfect condition....or even slightly below that. That's for restored and high end collectors. Most of them do it for a keeper or a labor of love. Few sell for a profit.
    Most of my pins came from fair deals on pins that needed some love. They got a little love and a little money put in them. On average I put only a couple hundred into post sales repair. Played them for a few years and in some cases made a little money on them at resale. None were anywhere near perfect.
    It sounds like you already understand you will probably make little or no money on resale of your EM.

#28 6 years ago

A wise man once told me to spend every dime on things that’ll make me happy. He said, “If you live to your last day being happy, and then the funeral home check bounces, you did it right”.

#29 6 years ago

I started off by buying a cheap machine in a “3 pay month”, I get paid by-weekly, so a couple times a year I manage to find some extra cash. Same with tax season, I have deductions for work and always get back a grand or two. So I started with one cheap game and fixed it up. Then I bought a second machine, then a third. Over a couple of years I had a half dozen okay games.

Then I started selling them, or trading them 2 for 1. I built a MAME arcade; traded it for a pin. Eventually I had 3 decent games, but I wasn’t happy. They were all sold, I added more cash and bought New in box. Cash. Bought and paid for, it’s mine.

Along the way I learned a lot about pinball repair, and had games to play.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

Do they exist?

If having the money and spending it is really the issue, why not just give your "payment" to a good friend or family member to tuck away for you out of sight until you hit your goal?

You say you want one machine to enjoy, but that you also want a cheap T2 or something, and also to build a collection...which is it? I think you just need to decide which of these you really want and shoot for it. Is T2 your favorite game from back in the day and it's been your dream to own one? Make that the goal. It sounds like your goal is to own a pinball machine that costs around 3K and maybe flip it later.

I (personally) think you need to find out what will make you happy and you'll enjoy and shoot for that. Do you just want to own a pinball machine to say you have one, or is there one you really have your heart set on? Flipping games for a profit is a viable plan, but as you're currently experiencing, you need to do it smart and be able to move and store games while repairing them without getting upside down in them to actually make money. Are you able to repair games? Because anything you buy real cheap is going to need alot of work and time, otherwise you're going to be spending hours to make 50 bucks.

In summary, figure out what game you really want and save. Don't buy something just to say you have it. Pinball machines are awesome. Pinball machines you bought for the sake of buying and don't enjoy are not awesome.

#31 6 years ago

VIRTUAL PINBALL

a lot of fun at minimal $$$
    The Pinball Arcade is sweet.

#32 6 years ago

Not so long ago, I found through the group someone who had a game that I could enjoy, but was at a time I didn't have funds.

I traded my time in pressure washing, some painting and gardening and earned the pin.

Perhaps you have some skills to trade?

#33 6 years ago

Step 1: stop looking at pinside
    Step 2: collect leaves

#34 6 years ago

TNT amusements does layaway

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from g0nz0:

My flaw is I spend my disposable income on other stuff instead of saving it. So my finances are in order as in I don't spend money I don't have. I just have problems saving thousands of dollars to buy a pin with cash of you get what I mean.

The bigger issue sounds like you giving into temptation. If you really want a newer pinball machine you'll need to find a way to sock away enough of that disposable income to get one.

Set a price point goal. Get a piggy bank or something that you can put money into and not see it. Put a chart on your fridge like the charity drives do with a picture of your savings goal and color in a section each time you make a contribution. Not saying you have an entitled attitude -- I applaud you working thru the vehicle financing situation you find yourself in and making the best of it -- but so much of our society had given into the "you deserve it" form of advertising out there that no one knows how to save anymore.

#36 6 years ago

Take $100. Go to your nearest place with a lot of pinballs. Spend the day there and get the pinball fix you are looking for. Way cheaper than buying a machine

#37 6 years ago

Put back a bit of cash $500-$600. So you have a small bank of disposable cash. If you can stretch that to $1000-$1200 you are better off. Run constant ads on Craigslist "Wanted to buy Pinball Machines". Not only in your local city but cities up to 1.5 to 2 hours away. Keep the ads fresh, renew them often. WHEN someone calls you with a pin to sell. DO NOT DICK AROUND. Grab your cash and head that way immediately. No one "holds" a pinball machine until it is convenient for you to pick it up.

You need a vehicle that can haul them, a dolly and strong back because they will be in basements, etc.

You will be buying non-functional machines 95% of the time. Learn to repair them. Resell them on Craiglist for slightly more after you have repaired one. Your $300 pin can sell for $600-$700. Then like someone else said rinse and repeat.

Done right and with persistence, and hard work you will have very little perhaps nothing by flipping several machines in this manner.

#38 6 years ago

You can make payments with Game Room Guys.

#40 6 years ago

I really think lower expectations are the way to go. If the EM you have isn't doing it for you, sell it to get a different one. Scratch up to a solid state game. Here are plenty of them that are a blast. Don't expect a Metallica or an AC/DC, work with a Stars or something. It takes a while to move up to the more popular games, so have fun along the way.

#41 6 years ago

Lots of advice here and I apologize if it's been already said. You don't need to own a machine to enjoy pinball. Play on location! A few games only cost a few bucks.

#42 6 years ago

Here's a website to get you started.

https://pinballmap.com

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Here's a website to get you started.
    https://pinballmap.com

Where has this been all my life! Green Bay does have some Pinball!!

#44 6 years ago

Lock the money your saving for this hobby away. If you want it bad enough you will let it build. I've been working really hard and building my budget for a MET Pro where I put the money away and let it grow. Once I got that game I started stashing away for TNA that is coming soon. I can say I would lack the discipline if that money was sitting in my checking or savings account and would have been tempted to do something else with it.

#45 6 years ago

Pay cash for what you buy everyday. Coffee, smokes, beer, Mickey D's for lunch... whatever. Only use 5s or bigger bills. Pocket your ones and put them away in a drawer. They add up. Couple this with cashing in change you can build fun money faster than you'd think.

#46 6 years ago

Real deal honest advice -- take the money you'd spend buying a pin and just play more at local arcades etc.

For years when I was stretching to buy a pin I realized I could spend 20-50 bucks over many weeks / months at local arcades and get a great experience without needing the capital to buy.

#47 6 years ago

Man, I would not buy a pin unless you can pay cash and have plenty of extra money for emergencies or other expenses. It's completely silly to me to go into debt over a pin. Even when you get a pin, there can be a lot of expenses buying parts and fixing things. Get out and play pins on location. If you make decent money but just have a lot of expenses, get those expenses taken care of and then getting a pin shouldn't be a problem.

#48 6 years ago

About 5 years ago, I did a part time job.....did the part time thing for a year and half.
    I also reviewed my finances, and trimmed the fat where I could. I also made sure my vehicles were paid off first....once debt free, I would borrow a small loan from my bank here and there to get started. I went for system 11s. Kept my loans small....and gave me trading/selling funds to gain other pins. Make sure you protect your quarterback.....and dont get foolish being upside down in debt.

#49 6 years ago

A lot of good stuff has already been said but I think be patient is the best one and getting debt paid off is second. For people in the pinball community, pinball machines will come along, you just need to be patient until it happens. Talk to people, and tell them you’re into pinball. Eventually someone will say they know someone that has one that just sits there and it could be yours. Most pinball people, including myself have an amazing deal story or a got it for free because they just needed it gone story. That will be you too but you just have to have faith and patience.

#50 6 years ago

To save money, look at your monthly expenses and lower them. Have Internet? Call the provider and tell them you want it cheaper (I just did this with Comcast last week and saved $250 over the next 12 months). Call your TV provider. Call whomever - you'd be surprised how flexable they are. Put that money in your pinball fund.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broke-mans-buying-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.