• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20190519_074205 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Anybody know where I can find a replacement for this? I googled the numbers on the chip but couldnt find anything.

20190519_074205 (resized).jpg20190519_074205 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

That is a U2 masked game ROM. Likely you would only find used ones from hard core collectors. They are prone to failures. I would upgrade to EPROMs.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That is a U2 masked game ROM. Likely you would only find used ones from hard core collectors. They are prone to failures. I would upgrade to EPROMs.

I'm a little ignorant on ROMs and EPROMs. Is there something plug n' play I can get?

#4 4 years ago

You would have to get the original masked ROMs to be plug and play, far as I know. You will have to change some jumpers to use EPROMs, which is what I do suggest doing. Pinwiki has a great write up on it. I used it a few times already. Tricky thing, is you do have to know what size the EPROMs are in order to jumper the board correctly. Sometimes you may have to remove the label if it is covered up. ActionPinball.com puts the EPROM number on the label.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_AS-2518-35_or_AS-2518-133_Jumper_Info

#5 4 years ago

2532 is a drop in replacement EPROM.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

2532 is a drop in replacement EPROM.

Who sells them preprogrammed for those who do not have a programmer?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Who sells them preprogrammed for those who do not have a programmer?

not sure. maybe ask people who sell eproms if they can but that image on a 2532 instead of the typically used 2732 and then no jumpers need changed.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#8 4 years ago

Definitely a little hacky, but I have actually soldered legs back on to chips. Was a pain, but it worked and held up. If you have enough metal to work with, it might work in a pinch.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Definitely a little hacky, but I have actually soldered legs back on to chips.

Yes, sometimes this can happen with unobtainable/expensive parts or you don't have time to wait for replacements so have to be creative

Quoted from Jediturtle:

If you have enough metal to work with, it might work in a pinch.

If there's not much metal, carefully scrape away some of the plastic body around the broken leg to expose more metal.

I repair some DMDs that have broken corner legs at the glass sandwich by doing this.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Definitely a little hacky, but I have actually soldered legs back on to chips. Was a pain, but it worked and held up. If you have enough metal to work with, it might work in a pinch.

Quoted from Quench:

Yes, sometimes this can happen with unobtainable/expensive parts or you don't have time to wait for replacements so you have to be creative

If there's not much metal, carefully scrape away some of the plastic body around the broken leg to expose more metal.
I repair some DMDs that have broken corner legs at the glass sandwich by doing this.

I already threw away the legs. I have some small guage wire I could solder on to the chip possibly. But I may as well wait...

I found this on ebay. Before i order, will this work is if I specify a 2532 chip set?

ebay.com link: Bally Flash Gordon Pinball mpu 35 chip set

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I already threw away the legs. I have some small guage wire I could solder on to the chip possibly. But I may as well wait...
I found this on ebay. Before i order, will this work is if I specify a 2532 chip set?
ebay.com link » Bally Flash Gordon Pinball Mpu 35 Chip Set

That ebay says "your choice 2532 or 2732" so that should work for you. Just send the seller a note for 2532.

I wouldnt try and fix that original masked PROM. They f*$ked up when manufacturing that part. The legs are made/plated from some type of metal that rots away over time. A lot of them anymore will shred legs even just trying to pull the chip out of a socket. Silver plating??? I know TI is a victim of this in the early 80s... I think fairchild too. Horror memories for TMS5200 legs turning to dust trying to salvage them from squaker boards.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That ebay says "your choice 2532 or 2732" so that should work for you. Just send the seller a note for 2532.
I wouldnt try and fix that original masked PROM. They f*$ked up when manufacturing that part. The legs are made/plated from some type of metal that rots away over time. A lot of them anymore will shred legs even just trying to pull the chip out of a socket. Silver plating??? I know TI is a victim of this in the early 80s... I think fairchild too. Horror memories for TMS5200 legs turning to dust trying to salvage them from squaker boards.

Awesome. I'll put in an order. Thankfully it includes U6 as well, which I was going to see if I could find a replacement, as it looks similar to the U2 chip that broke. Thanks guys!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 45.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 10.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broke-legs-on-ic-need-a-replacement?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.