(Topic ID: 29687)

Broke a trough switch... BUT I FIXED IT!!!!!

By blondetall

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kguenther6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

switch.JPG
#1 11 years ago

My JP was having trouble knowing how many balls it had. It actually had 6 in it, but would think there was an extra and keep trying to launch nothing. So I did a trough clean to attempt to fix it, and finally got it cleared. Went to look at the switches and one was wobbly. I literally moved the wire to see if it needed to be pushed back in, and it broke off. Pic attached.

I've already put in an order last night for 6 more to replace everything since they all look like crap, but the problem is that I'm leaving for vacation Sat morning and my house/dog-sitter really was excited about playing while she was there. I turned it back on to see if it would work at all, but it's just saying "Missing 1 Ball" and firing everything looking for it.

Is there any way to temporarily fix this in case the switch doesn't make it in time? I ordered from Pinballlife and they were decently quick last time, but I'm looking for alternatives just in case. I'm not aware of anywhere local that sells them unless a normal hardware store carries something like this, since the pin shop closes before I get off work and doubt they would even talk to me about buying a part from them.

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

switch.JPGswitch.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I would think that you could melt a little solder in there....I'd give it a try for sure!

#3 11 years ago

If it's broken off mostly flush, and it looks like it is, no way. Not enough left there for the solder to stick to. Troughs rattle a lot.

Call and see if you can get the shipping changed on your order to overnight. Otherwise, you could call around town to any kind of electrical supply places. Micro switches are used on more than just pinball machines. If you can only find one without a roller, that would probably get you by until your order arrives.

#4 11 years ago

radio shack used to stock these

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from pjwaelti:

radio shack used to stock these

Radio Shack if they have them, are not the right switch. There is easy push ( works great for pinball ) medium push ( which can work in pinball ) and hard push, which won't work in pinball because the ball won't be able to depress the switch.

LTG : )

#6 11 years ago

Just called Terry and he said he would make sure it gets out today. I did UPS so hopefully it will get here on Friday. Pinballlife rocks!! Thanks Terry if you read this.

Thanks for the help guys. I was trying to figure out if it would solder, but it is broke flush. I even got out my gun and plugged it in, but chickened out. Any adhesive I have doesn't conduct, and knowing my luck I would end up blowing something else up. Now I've got to figure out how to replace them since all the connections are soldered on and I don't know how to do anything except break them it seems. lol

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Now I've got to figure out how to replace them since all the connections are soldered on and I don't know how to do anything except break them it seems. lol

Get your soldering iron, some solder, and wire, and practice until your new switch arrives.

Learn to heat the joint and then touch solder to it and watch it flow and make a good joint.

When you put in the new switch get the wires in the same spots and silver banded end of diode facing the same way.

#8 11 years ago

I'm definately going to practice, or make husband do it since he knows how. But my big question is how do I get the solder off the current connection? Will heating it up get the solder off so that I can remove it safely?

I don't know if the pic shows it, but the gren/red wire end connection is soldered onto the switch, then covered up with the plastic end piece. Is that normal? We've had problems with the bunker switches (that normally are problematic on JPs) and on those the diode wire is soldered on the end brackets but the connection wire that goes over the switch's middle bracket isn't soldered. On the trough ones, everything is soldered. I assume that it moving around like that is why it broke the bracket off to being with.

So what I'm holding in the pic is the green/red wire with the connection end plus a broken-off bracket soldered to it, all one big lump of metal. Somehow I've got to get the broken piece off so I have something to reconnect back to the new switch.

#9 11 years ago

yea you can dab some solder back on there, it will work fine.. there is the right way.. then there is the way (most people I see hack up pins) make it work.. solder isnt silly putty it will take some serious shock to shake loose. I have broken things like this and tempoprary fixed them before and they last for a long long time.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I'm definately going to practice, or make husband do it since he knows how. But my big question is how do I get the solder off the current connection? Will heating it up get the solder off so that I can remove it safely?

I don't know if the pic shows it, but the gren/red wire end connection is soldered onto the switch, then covered up with the plastic end piece. Is that normal? We've had problems with the bunker switches (that normally are problematic on JPs) and on those the diode wire is soldered on the end brackets but the connection wire that goes over the switch's middle bracket isn't soldered. On the trough ones, everything is soldered. I assume that it moving around like that is why it broke the bracket off to being with.

So what I'm holding in the pic is the green/red wire with the connection end plus a broken-off bracket soldered to it, all one big lump of metal. Somehow I've got to get the broken piece off so I have something to reconnect back to the new switch.

Again I'd suggest a little practice. But heating the old solder/wire/lug combo and you can remove the wire from the lug. Or in the case of the broken one the lug from the wire.

The plastic tubing over the wire/lug is to insulate the joint. No biggie, slide the tube back, remove wire, solder wire to new lug, slide tubing back on.

You'll do fine with a little practice.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks LTG. I appreciate all your help. I was afraid that the soldering job was something abnormal/hacked and was already screwed up before I got my hands on it. (None of my other switches have it between the wires and switch thingy I think you are probably properly calling a lug.) It's been working, so I guess it's fine, and I didn't realize that heating up what was already there would melt off the solder on it. You know, I was originally just supposed to buy a pinball and enjoy it, yet somehow I'm slowly becoming a pinball tech. lol I really do like learning and being able to fix it, but am just paranoid I'm going to mess it up royally.

Spud... I think as long as I'm going to have to replace that whole switch, I may try this tonight. To practice my soldering.

#12 11 years ago

Same as owning a car really, you are going to have to maintain it...or pay someone else to. Which isn't an option for me, as there is no one around here to pay...so I learned how to do it myself...it's half the fun...great feeling to fix your own pin...soldering that switch is stupid easy...you'll see

#13 11 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm aware of the maintenance now and enjoy it as far as what I'm comfortable doing (replacing lights, cleaning) and get on here for help with the rest. But before I actually knew what I was getting myself into and simply fulfilled my dream of owning a pin, I didn't realize how delicate they were. Then my "working 100%" pin was shipped many miles and magically not working 100% upon arrival, and we had to do the repairs ourself with parts sent and help provided by the seller across the country. It all worked out and so far I'm doing pretty good, and still hanging around wanting more.

#14 11 years ago

Couldn't you move that one to the back o the line and that way the game only thinks the last ball is missing. All my games play if only one ball is missing.
I don't know how they act when the middle ball is not being noticed.

#15 11 years ago

I wondered that, but I'm not that skilled at repair work yet and will be doing good to get them changed out once at this rate. I ordered 6 just so I could change them all if need be, since they are cheap enough and look like crap to me as far as being bent. As soon as I turn it on, it starts with the "Missing 1 ball" and firing everything trying to find it. This one is the 3rd slot, but not sure if being on the end would make a difference. I'm going to poke around more on it tonight and see what I can do.

#16 11 years ago

if you want a better chance of success, solder a very small wire to the broken switch and then just slip the other end under the plastic sleeve. easy temp hack

#17 11 years ago

To get the soldered wire off the current (broken) lug, do you need a desoldering gun? It is that overkill?

Also, how do you shrink new tubing around the lug if you don't have a heat gun?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

To get the soldered wire off the current (broken) lug, do you need a desoldering gun? It is that overkill?

No. Soldering iron is enough. Heat it up and push/pull/knock the solder off with the iron.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade: Also, how do you shrink new tubing around the lug if you don't have a heat gun?

Cigarette lighter works great. Flame wraps both sides of tubing and shrinks fast. Be carefull so you don't burn the tubing.

Or run your soldering iron back and forth over the tubing until it shrinks.

#19 11 years ago

You can touch the tubing with the iron? Or flame? Just carefully?

Maybe that was my problem. I tried to heat it with the soldering iron...but by hovering over the tubing, not touching it. Nothing happened!

Lloyd, ur the best!

#20 11 years ago

You can't fix those micro switches when they break at the base of the plastic. Wait
for new ones to come, then move the wires over one at a time so you get the wires
correct. Good luck.
Allen

#21 11 years ago

Parts came today. Thanks again to Terry at Pinballlife for getting those to me quick. We're moving someone in for the week we are gone (since we have a zoo basically) so I was supposed to be cleaning the house but snuck off to see if I could bring JP back to life. I de-soldered, took apart, put the diode on, got everything lined up, and then couldn't get the solder to work. I thought you were supposed to melt the solder and let it run down where you needed it, but it just disappeared. So finally called in husband and he showed me how. (Thanks hubby Wahchintonka.) Then I put the switch back on, changed the rubbers, replaced a couple of lights, and fired it up. IT LIVES!!! Not to jinx it, but it was running perfectly. Six months ago I didn't even have a pin, and now I'm on my way to very basic pinball tech!

Thanks again to everyone for the advise. Karma for everyone.

#22 11 years ago

congrats! and remember, practice makes perfect

when soldering, you *always* want to heat the connection area (in this case, the wires *and* the switch leads) and then add the solder to it. if you try and heat the solder and "corral" or slide it onto the joint, you'll either end up with the solder falling away, a cold solder joint or the solder pooling around what you're trying to join, but not make a good connection.

when soldering to pc boards, you want to make sure that the tip of the iron is touching both the board *and* the wires or lead of the component that you're attempting to solder and slowly add the solder to it.

#23 11 years ago

awesome. simple yet a very 'rewarding' fix!!!!!

#24 11 years ago

Nice work.

I find even the simplest of repairs to be very gratifying.

Welcome to the pin-tech club.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

when soldering

Thanks j_m_. I appreciate the info. Admittedly I haven't done soldering before, but logically it didn't make sense to put the really hot thing against the fragile metal electronic stuff. lol I read up on it and was all "That cannot be right."

We played a few games last night and so far so good. Once we are back from vacation I might go ahead and replace the rest of the switches since they look like crap. But then again, maybe I'll leave them alone as long as they are working. It seems people who poke on machines because they are bored tend to cause more messes.

#26 11 years ago

Awesome!
I love it when i fix something. Everey little thing makes a difference

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Once we are back from vacation I might go ahead and replace the rest of the switches since they look like crap. But then again, maybe I'll leave them alone as long as they are working

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/broke-a-trough-switch-any-way-to-temporarily-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.