image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I just wanted to share this quick. I am still kind of baffled by it but understand it co wondering this specific game.

Picked up another Interflip dragon, it's the 3rd one I have. I have known about this game being available for quite some time in Canada but was just waiting for the opportunity to pick it up. Either way I never seen the game before but k ew that the game was missing the backglass and also had the cabinet painted over with black paint. I paid $300USD for it and was expecting it to be more or less a parts machine. Much to my surprise, I approached the game and saw it was extremely clean inside, started inspecting the cabinet and saw that the paint was rolled on and was really smooth which indicated a nice condition cab. If anyone doesn't know, these cabs don't hold up well and the artwork often chips off the cab.l because it's almost baked on. Also I was surprised that it was fully operational as well.

So today I started looking into stripping the black off the cab. I started off with some lacquer thinner or to start seeing if the paint would come off easily. After starting to rob a small spot on the back of the cabinet, I saw that there were actually two coats of paint, one white under the black outer coat. Though there was a lot of elbow grease involved, I was getting a lot of very good progress getting the paint off. Here are some pictures of what it looks like before I started stripping the paint, and a couple pictures through the progress. I have not finished stripping the game yet it will be something that will be over the next couple of days progression.
M it's a shame that someone would paint over the cabinet like they did for no apparent reason other then possibly not liking the artwork. I am hoping that I can bring this game to look like it once did.

I would also like to note that I am in dire need of a really nice back glass for this game. If anyone has one, or knows that they have been scanned and remade. Please let me know I would really like to make this game the "keeper" game out of the three that I have.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

wow what a great find under that paint...well worth the effort

#3 8 years ago

Nice save!

#4 8 years ago

I'm always glad to see a game brought back from the brink. Nice job

#5 8 years ago

Holy cow! That's impressive. Let's hope the graphics under the rest of the paint are as good.

BAO!!

faz

#6 8 years ago

I've had some luck using Citristrip to get crummy latex paint off Williams video game cabinets ... It is a paint stripper, but not as harsh as others out there ... Non toxic too. It'll eat through those first two layers fairly easily and shouldn't damage the original paint.

Also, cleaning up residue with Goo Gone seems to accelerate that final clean up process quite well .

I wonder if Citristrip would help make the cleanup of that yellowed laquer paint layer on older EMs easier? I might have to try that out on a beater Baseball I have that needs painted anyway.

#7 8 years ago

Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing, the results are outstanding. I've stripped more cabinets than I can count , some painted over, the citri strip will work but I have used it to get right down to barewood so left on too long could be disasterous. Good luck.

#8 8 years ago

Yeah It is just lacquer thinner and a lot of rubbing. It is an absolute pain but I do agree that the outcome is good.

#9 8 years ago

Made some progress on the back door today at lunch time. He's a couple of pics of the inside if anyone is interested

#10 8 years ago

I've got a backglass. Located in Pittsburgh. PM me if you're interested

Jody

#11 8 years ago

PM Sent!

#12 8 years ago

I would like to make a huge shout out to Jody for hooking me up with some backglasses. I ended up driving out to Pittsburgh last night for them.

#15 8 years ago

Just want to do an update here with progress. Worked on his a few hours over the last couple days. Finished the headers of the game and started working in the front. I took some time and clear sprayed the head and installed the new glass. Also put LED bulbs in it so now I ca consider the head completed.

#16 8 years ago

Luckily for you that the repaint was not prepared that well. If that cabinet was sanded and primed, then sanded again before the black paint was applied, it certainly would not have turned out so good.

Looking Great BTW.

#17 8 years ago

That just DOES NOT HAPPEN!!!! Amazing looking.

Well done!

BAO Indeed!!!

faz

#18 8 years ago

Yeah I am excited that someone's expected "half ass" job to paint over has benefitted in allowing me to remove the paint. But it is surely still a pain in my ass. Lots of work to get that all off.

#19 8 years ago

This was a very uplifting thread. I feel psyched up just watching the progress and new backglass going in.

#20 8 years ago

Wow, very nice!!!

Brian is a great guy to deal with and he even got one of my broken games up and running again.

Jody

2 weeks later
#21 8 years ago

I just wanted to add these so I can wrap this up. I stopped the sides and back of the game. They came out looking great. I will have a pic coming up shortly of the final product.

#22 8 years ago

I would love to own one of these one day. Excellent work!

#23 8 years ago

I have never seen this game before, that artwork is awesome
great job

#25 8 years ago

Nice. Never knew that'd be possible.

I saw a Stock Car (? Old EM), at a salvage store, and they had completely repainted the cab as a very poorly done Coke cabinet. It was terrible.

#26 8 years ago

Can't figure out why someone would paint over that.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

great job

The game play looks really fun. I saw this a while back.

faz

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

great job

Oh damn dude...it's THE game. It's the only way to settle a deciding match head to head battle.

#29 8 years ago

Talk about a drain monster

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh damn dude...it's THE game. It's the only way to settle a deciding match head to head battle.

BAO!
faz

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

The game play looks really fun. I saw this a while back.
» YouTube video
faz

It's one of the few EM's I'd be interested in owning. The sound effect for the dragons makes me laugh every time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-back-games-with-painted-over-cabs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.