(Topic ID: 254980)

Bringing a machine across CAN to US?

By Whysnow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Just wanted to confirm what is expected and needed when driving a pin from BC to Seattle?

I purchased a game from a fellow Pinsider in BC, CAN. I have a non pinball friend that lives in Seattle picking the game up and driving it back to the US and then shipping it to me.

what is needed to make this smooth and hassle free for my buddy?

My assumption is that since this is a US made product being brought back to the US, then no fees or issues, but wanted to check.

Any tips or details from those that have done this?

Thanks in advance

#2 4 years ago

There are no duties to pay since the machine is made in the USA and no duties under NAFTA.

You may have to pay a sales tax to Washington State since we pay taxes when we bring machines into Canada from the US.

Ensure your buddy had a bill of sale, which can literally be a a piece of paper with the sale price. The boarder may research the item so ensure you don't under value the machine too much when making up a bill of sale.

#3 4 years ago

I printed out the ipdb.org data sheet to prove that it was manufactured in the US. The border guard actually looked at it and I didnt have to pay any fees/taxes. If transporting in a pickup and covered/tarped, you might educate your friend a little about what they are hauling. As I was in line I was questioned by the walking patrol about what I was transporting, what year it was made, what the theme was, etc. I apparently answered without drawing suspicion because I wasn't required to remove the tarp, unwrap, etc. which would have added some time to my journey.

Another note, if your friend is taking cash for payment, there is a limit that you're allowed to take over the border without declaring it. This limit is per vehicle not per person.

#4 4 years ago

friend Of mine had issues at the boarder. Apparently they were convinced he was bringing the game back to the states for resale.. apparently there is some kind of issue with that? I’d inform your friend this is purely for a collector type acquisition. If probed about selling it in the future, hold fast on it going into a collection.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballCoug:

Another note, if your friend is taking cash for payment, there is a limit that you're allowed to take over the border without declaring it. This limit is per vehicle not per person.

What is the limit?

#6 4 years ago

Thx all for the advice and tips!

I will provide him with some education, printouts to take, and a bill of sale.

Sounds like pretty straightforward but some flex depending on the specific fairs at the boarder

#7 4 years ago

In general, should be no issues and no fees. But the thing that seems a little suspicious with your arrangement is that your friend is buying for you. In which case, it kind of looks like it's commercial goods he is acquiring to sell to someone. If he's at least a little pin-savy, would be best that he's representing as purchasing for himself. You can bring up to $10,000 cash without declaring. You should also have the seller write-up a bill of sale with his contact.

I've never had an issue or any costs bringing machine south, but friend of mine has to pay sales tax when going north, but that's all. Last time I came south I was just asked what was in the truck and he took a look and waved me right on.

What machine did you pick up?

#8 4 years ago

Got it all figured out border wise..
    Always have craigslist ad/bill of sale for cdn customs
    You can even fudge the numbers a bit if it says needs repair...
    Go later in the evening when young guys are working...
    Have 6 pack on seat
    When they ask “ did you buy anything”
    Say this six pack and a pinball project for my man cave..,.
    Works every time and I sail thru

#9 4 years ago

I recently brought home a bally kiss from victoria area. Take a copy of the ad, craigslist or f book, and get a signed receipt with price from buyer. Answered a few questions each way, no probs. Was concerned as you are, but very easy. Good luck

#10 4 years ago

They asked if I was a collector or restorer for resale. So make sure yr buddy has all info ready.

#11 4 years ago

I did this a few months ago and had no trouble.

There is no duty under $2500 if it was made in the USA and private sale. Bring a copy of the manual for the machine, or other proof it was manufactured in the USA.

I can't remember if it's the same thing for import as export (I'm Canadian), but for export I filled out form 7523.

Bring some kind of signed invoice or other proof of fair market value (a few recent archived Pinside sales couldn't hurt) and have a contact phone number in case the US border want to phone the seller to confirm.

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for all the great info!

Much appreciated.
    This was just a private sale so no ad to print but I will have the seller print up a bill of sale, put his info/ phone and make sure my buddy understands to be clear this is going in a collection (technically it is his colleciton as he will have it for a little while )

I will just need to tell my buddy not to get roached at the sellers house

#13 4 years ago

I brought a joust across into Fargo ND from Manitoba last summer in a uhaul truck, and the customs guy didnt even look in the truck when I told him what I had.

#14 4 years ago

I also reccomend that your pick up guy when crossing border claims the machine is his, for personal collection. Leave out any third party info, just keep that to yourself. The whole picking up for friend will complicate the issue.
    Like posted above, 50/50 chance he just gets waved thru.

#15 4 years ago

I've brought several back across the border with zero issues.

#16 4 years ago

Make sure he fills the game up with Kinder Surprise Eggs before he comes back into the USA. He should be fine...

#17 4 years ago

Yep, it should be no problem whatsoever but I go over the border once a week for commercial purposes. I can tell you, from experience, it depends on the particular guard and his/her mood and how they react to you and your communication at that moment. They are trained to read PEOPLE and question PEOPLE and they will sometimes challenge you to see if what you're saying is accurate/your reaction to being made to feel uncomfortable.

The guard I had looked at the form, didn't even look in the trailer at the machine. But I've had other experiences where I've been hauled into US Customs and given the third degree. And yes, as per above don't have your guy mention a third party. Need to know basis and they don't need to know that. It could unnecessarily complicate things.

Just have your guy be prepared for the worst and if you sail through...awesome!

#18 4 years ago

I've brought a few pins back from Canada to the States.

Rarely questioned going INTO Canada about why I was going to get a pin.

On the way back, questioned heavily (as the US customs can be pricks) about the pin. One time I even got a car search performed with a wh20 in the back. (cringed thinking they'd rip thru the pin). But never really asked about price, etc.

Just play up the collector aspect of it. I think 95% of the time you should be fine.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Make sure he fills the game up with Kinder Surprise Eggs before he comes back into the USA. He should be fine...

Ha, if going this route, other fun stuff to pick up: Old Dutch potato chips in fun flavors, a proper Oh Henry chocolate bar or Coffee Crisp, and canned sockeye salmon.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I've brought a few pins back from Canada to the States.
    Rarely questioned going INTO Canada about why I was going to get a pin.
    On the way back, questioned heavily (as the US customs can be pricks) about the pin. One time I even got a car search performed with a wh20 in the back. (cringed thinking they'd rip thru the pin). But never really asked about price, etc.
    Just play up the collector aspect of it. I think 95% of the time you should be fine.

the only pinball customs question I got heading back in was "Does it work?"

I was cringing at the idea of having to set the thing up and find somewhere to plug it in but he waved me through.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Ha, if going this route, other fun stuff to pick up: Old Dutch potato chips in fun flavors, a proper Oh Henry chocolate bar or Coffee Crisp, and canned sockeye salmon.

And Ketchup potato chips!

#22 4 years ago

big thanks all and really appreciate the tips.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

US Customs can be real fucking assholes about Kinder Eggs. My Brother was detained for several hours over them. He was camping over Easter and they found them in his kids chocolate they had hidden in the trailer. No common sense that the chocolate was hidden so his kids wouldn't find it and the whole Easter bunny thing. The fact that they are actually illegal is hilarious.

#24 4 years ago

Kinder Surprise eggs are a choking hazard. Candy outside small parts inside, and are illegal in America.

Crossing into America with a pin made in Spain will also be an issue.

#25 4 years ago

I was worried about that too, but I had no problem bringing down my made-in-Spain, time-travel-warehouse-find Interflip Dragon from Canada.

2 years later
    #26 2 years ago

Well I just the game to USA thing and it was fricking awesome and lucrative as hell!

1 week later
    #27 2 years ago

Get going to us sooner than later as border testing etc is sure to change! Go get that early Xmas gift stateside before it’s too late…

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-machine-across-can-to-us and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.