(Topic ID: 131388)

Bringing a Haunted House Back to Life!!!

By davebart5

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by d0n
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0610_(resized).jpg
IMG_0607_(resized).jpg
IMG_0513_(resized).jpg
IMG_0512_(resized).jpg
IMG_0522_(resized).jpg
IMG_0519_(resized).jpg
IMG_0520_(resized).jpg
IMG_0517_(resized).jpg
IMG_0515_(resized).jpg
IMG_0616_(resized).JPG
IMG_0533_(resized).jpg
IMG_0534_(resized).jpg
IMG_0536_(resized).jpg
IMG_0530_(resized).jpg
IMG_0531_(resized).jpg
IMG_0528_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 8 years ago

Gojo? That's a new one.

Remember evapo-rust is awesome, but parts will re-rust unless the exposed area is protected in some way. I smooth out pitting, make shiny, and do a light coat of clear.

1 week later
#43 8 years ago

If you're not restoring the playfield there's little point in magic eraser. I wouldn't abrade it with Novus products either. And avoid water-based products since they are, well, water. Wax seals in dirt but at least gives some protection.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

That blitz paste looks like it's top notch stuff. Not cheap, but worth it.

It goes a long way too. You don't want gobs of it caked up all over, just even coats.

#59 8 years ago

The pop bumper board is a simple circuit and easy to work on. If you're comfortable soldering, I'd just keep the originals. If not then it's a great way to learn, and I'd still keep the originals.

I buy the originals (broken or not) off eBay when I see them cheap. You can pick them up for like 4 for $8. I have a dozen or so extras. You can use them in System80, but they're also useful if you want to mod an older game (ie, System1) to have snappier pops. The board operates independently of the MPU, so it's a neat little part.

#70 8 years ago

It's fuses. If you need thoses fuse sizes they're fine. If you work on many machines it's more cost effective to by larger packs of common sizes or "fuse breakers", but sounds like that's not you. Yet!

You seem like me where you fuss over getting "the right things". Just focus on getting your addiction firmly cemented and upgrade things later.

1 week later
#76 8 years ago

Yeah, battery leaked. You can see in the third-last picture where the alkaline has seeped over towards the reset section. See the dull green legs on the resistors? Still minor, so that's good.

Needs to be cleaned up, BUT do your homework first. It's easy to spread the alkaline while attempting to clean it.

#81 8 years ago

That board damage is so minor, it would be a real shame to put it away as-is and let the damage spread. If you don't plan on cleaning it, you might want to sell it so it can be repaired and do someone some good.

My MPU board was corroded much worse than that and has been rock solid for over two years now.

#85 8 years ago

Do not agree that the traces are fragile. They're wide enough you can walk your dog on them. Connectors and bad grounding are much more problematic. Best thing I did was repin all my connectors.

Anyways, the problem you have selling them is they are pretty nice but still "as-is, untested". If you can tell a buyer they work 100% then you can get a lot more for them. Look at sold items on eBay and here for price ideas. I pickup "as-is" power supplies for $10 or so, driver boards for $20, MPUs are more variable. Clean with no hacks like yours should get $25+. I'd bid on these guys if I saw em.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-haunted-house-back-to-life?tu=radium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.