(Topic ID: 197694)

Bringing a Bronco back from the dead (UK)

By tomds

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinslot
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D0B1B9CC-8F95-4C6D-BBE0-50C5B6A51AB5 (resized).jpg
AF28EA47-B15C-4894-BC5E-3F77A7CE50C2 (resized).jpg
IMG_0133 (resized).JPG
IMG_0131 (resized).JPG
IMG_0129 (resized).JPG
IMG_0128 (resized).JPG
IMG_0126 (resized).JPG
IMG_0125 (resized).JPG
IMG_0002 (resized).JPG
IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
IMG_4688 (resized).JPG
IMG_7862 (resized).JPG
IMG_7206 (resized).JPG
IMG_1090 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_3788 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_0009 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I thought I would document my attempts at bringing a very sad looking Gottlieb Bronco back to life. I had been looking out for a project on eBay (UK) and saw this going for not a lot of money as well as being relatively local to me. As you can see I don't like an easy life.... The cabinet and back box need repairing, the back glass is shot and the play field has things growing on it. The electrics are in need of a really good clean and will probably need to be completely stripped in order to do a proper job. From looking at the documentation inside the machine and the coin door, it appears to have spent most of it's life in Germany, but somehow ended up in the UK.
Despite being new to pinball restoration I am fortunate to have my father in law to fall back on. He has many years of experience in servicing and restoration of EM machines. I put UK in the title as I hope that if I complete this and do a half decent job other UK pinball fans will find the thread useful. I look at the restoration threads all the time but struggle to find many of the products you guys in the states use. I will list the UK alternatives that I find.
I have taken some pictures below so you can see what will be the making or breaking of me!

IMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPG

IMG_0009 (resized).JPGIMG_0009 (resized).JPG

IMG_3788 2 (resized).JPGIMG_3788 2 (resized).JPG

IMG_1090 2 (resized).JPGIMG_1090 2 (resized).JPG

IMG_7206 (resized).JPGIMG_7206 (resized).JPG

IMG_7862 (resized).JPGIMG_7862 (resized).JPG

IMG_4688 (resized).JPGIMG_4688 (resized).JPG

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPG

IMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Hi

Would be worth posting this on the #1 UK Pinball forum

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/

#3 6 years ago

UPDATE: I decided to start off with the playfield as this area seems to be the worst. Surprisingly the inner workings of the backbox and the transformer board don't look to shabby. I have completely stripped the playfield of everything to allow me to give both sides the attention they need. Every single screw and bulb fitting was covered in rust.... I have built up quite a shopping list of replacement parts and will be replacing the majority of plastics, bulb fittings and playfield pats. After stripping the playfield I gave it a good clean using magic eraser with IPA and then Novus 2. It has come up much better than I thought it would. As you can see from the pictures there are still a lot of ball swirls I can't remove and some planking. It definitely needs touching up, however I am strongly considering making up some waterslide decals and repainting the whole thing.
I am now in the process of filling a few chips on the ends of the bottom side. Once these are dry I will sand and repaint it grey. IMG_0126 (resized).JPGIMG_0126 (resized).JPG

IMG_0125 (resized).JPGIMG_0125 (resized).JPG

IMG_0128 (resized).JPGIMG_0128 (resized).JPG

IMG_0129 (resized).JPGIMG_0129 (resized).JPG

IMG_0131 (resized).JPGIMG_0131 (resized).JPG

IMG_0133 (resized).JPGIMG_0133 (resized).JPG

AF28EA47-B15C-4894-BC5E-3F77A7CE50C2 (resized).jpgAF28EA47-B15C-4894-BC5E-3F77A7CE50C2 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

The legs look nice!

That is a lot of mold. Hope you are using a particle mask or something better. In Canada there is a product called Mold-ex, it is in hardware stores. It works on killing the mold spores. it might help, not sure.

"Do Not Use Bleach"

#5 6 years ago

It will come as no surprise, but the legs are off another machine . I've been wearing a mask so hopefully I won't keel over!

#6 6 years ago

So after a good session with the sander, the bottom of the playfield was free from mold. I have repainted it following advice from Vid about having the playfield on two saw horses and painting from underneath to avoid paint dripping in the inserts. I have attached a before and after picture and I think we can all agree this looks much better! Some of the paint is still wet where I just had to finish the ends, but I think it gives it a fresh look. Definitely worth doing if you strip the playfield.

D0B1B9CC-8F95-4C6D-BBE0-50C5B6A51AB5 (resized).jpgD0B1B9CC-8F95-4C6D-BBE0-50C5B6A51AB5 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Hi Tom,
As a fellow Brit (but living in Germany) and GTB EM fan I shall be following this thread keenly. My local garage has a Jungle Queen, which has been sitting forlornly for years gradually getting into a worse and worse state of disrepair. Every time I get my car serviced I ask him if he'll sell it to me. If he ever does, that will be a challenge, but not as deadly as yours. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bringing-a-bronco-back-from-the-dead-uk?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.