5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SealClubber
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have 4 x late70's / early80's bally machines which need to come out of storage after 15 years. I intend on renting a van and driving them down to London where I now live.

Thankfully, i had the foresight to remove / replace the batteries before storage.

Can anyone please offer me advice on:

- How to best load the machines into the van and any techniques on securing them?

- Is there anything youd recommend I do before powering them up to test at the destination?

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

drive safe

#3 5 years ago

Secure them with ratcheting straps.

Unplug all the boards and start by making sure the power supplies work at the correct voltages.

#4 5 years ago

The big caps on the driver boards are most likely dead, so plan on replacing those right off the bat.

Look for corrosion on the fuse clips.

Do all the ground mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The big caps on the driver boards are most likely dead, so plan on replacing those right off the bat.
    Look for corrosion on the fuse clips.
    Do all the ground mods.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing

This is sound advice, thanks for posting. Will check out the links ready for D day.

#6 5 years ago

Remove the heads. Wrap them in thick blankets or moving blankets. Make sure nothing is pressing against the backglasses. Lay with the backs down. Secure with ratchet straps in all directions. Don't drive like a maniac or on the left side of the road.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Don't drive like a maniac or on the left side of the road.

Unless you're in Europe.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Unless you're in Europe.

Most of Europe is "right side" of the road when I've traveled.

Most "left side" countries seem to be ones who where held by Great Brittan during the roll out of the automobile (Australia, India, parts of the Caribbean .....)

#9 5 years ago

All I can say is driving in England with a right hand drive rental car with a stick is loads of fun since you are supposed to drive on the left. Also a Yankee pedestrian in any of the Circuses in London is pretty dangerous since you need to look mainly to the right when crossing a street but we're programmed to look mainly to the left.
    At least some of the Caribbean rental cars are left hand drive with a big-ass decal on the dash board stating:
    <<<<<<< Drive on LEFT side of the road.

#10 5 years ago

I'm from the UK and thankfully am reasonably comfortable with driving on the left. Because I dropped them at London, i was forced to drive like a maniac just to keep up with the general pace. So, in a way, I've taken some advice from your replies.

To my surprise, 2 of the 4 machines worked 'out the box'. Lost world and Spectrum work well with the exception of the odd lamp or sticky solenoid. This is great.
    I will look into bullet-proofing those machines to ensure their survival from here.

As for Spy Hunter and Elektra. Elektra was not running since before storage, although i believe i got more flashes from the MPU before its time away. I've identified a break in the circuitry just south of U8 so will dig out the solder iron and fix.

Spy Hunter however, seems to have given up the ghost. If anyone is interested, i've made a separate post in hope of troubleshooting whats wrong here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-spy-hunter-not-starting-after-mpu-test-complete#post-1659548

Thanks again to all who posted.

Duncan

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Unless you're in Europe.

I know, it was a joke as I knew he was from GB. Most European countries drive on the right side though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 64.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Lermods
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 157.00
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 5.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside