Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RonSS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 2 years ago

Looks like Stern and JJP aren't as crazy as y'all want to think:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/old-music-killing-new-music/621339/

Quoting: "The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music. The current list of most-downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the previous century, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police."

#2 2 years ago

Well new music is just to "too complicated" for kids these days.

#3 2 years ago

I just think that music itself isn’t as vital to the last couple of generations as it used to be, just like TV. My kids (21 and 18) love music but they seem to be an anomaly. I’m a 52 year old Gen X music whore who still buys 20+ albums a year of new music. Don’t be fooled, there’s still tons of great music being released all the time by young artists/bands. But let’s see what they’re up against on iTunes… Unless you’re Jay-Z/Adele you’re going to get $1 monthly checks from Apple/Spotify. So they’re earning $25 less a month than Jethro Tull already. Fine, so get in the van and go on tour. Covid says get back in the van and go home and work in a restaurant for a couple years. And once live music is again a thing, 30% of the clubs have gone under during the pandemic and promoters and venues are cash hungry so the artists get less than ever. So they’re forced to Youtube, bandcamp, streaming concerts on their website etc. for revenue. So I tend to cut the kids some slack on both listening and making music. Also, my dad was a musician and loved all kinds of music. Except for my Black Sabbath and Stooges records.

tl/dr: answering a question nobody asked but too heartfelt to delete haha. Whiskey Wednesday is alive and well.

#4 2 years ago

Agreed, music doesn't seem as important, or perhaps it isn't as connecting as it once was.

The garage band has probably been taking a hit as solo performances are easier to sell on reality shows.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bring-on-the-old-man-band-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.