(Topic ID: 310173)

Bring On the Challenge Modes!

By Flippersaurus

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

This thread is devoted to Challenge Modes. I love ‘em. It’s so nice to have a different game mode to start up a game in. Wizard modes during normal play are few and far between for me. A lot of them are so detailed that they really are a mini-game. It’s great to have the option of going right to them without having to mess with adding extra balls or taking the glass off.

Here’s a list of games with Challenge Modes. Please let me know if there are more. Or if I’ve made a mistake. I’m not familiar with all of these games. I haven’t played all of these. But my favorites among what I have played are JP2 and Mando. I believe that Stern is the only one doing these at the moment. I’m really looking forward to Rush having 3! Hooray! I’ve heard it said that Iron Maiden may get one someday. That would be so cool. I’ve only gotten close to Number of the Beast wizard mode. Never quite made it.

I’d love to see more of these. What do you like about Challenge Modes? Any favorites?

Jurassic Park (Stern) - Escape Nublar
    The Avengers: Infinity Quest - Black Order Battle Royal
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - 1) Half Shell Challenge. 2) Final Battle Challenge
    The Mandalorian - You Have What I Want
    The Munsters - Couch Potato
    Stranger Things - Final Showdown
    Led Zepplin - Top of the Charts
    Rush - 1) 2112. 2) Cygnus X-1 Book 1. 3) Cygnus X-1 Book 2.
    Ghostbusters - Are You a God? (Must be enabled in settings menu)
    Twilight Zone - Lost in the Zone (Requires newer home ROM)

#2 2 years ago

I think they are lame, but as long as they make other people happy. I appreciate the term Challenge mode over Wizard mode since the verbiage changed where some games have like 8 wizard modes :zzz

But anyway
    I think you can add Twilight Zone to your list. With the latest home ROM you can go straight to Lost In The Zone

#3 2 years ago

You could probably include God Mode form Ghostbusters with a note that it can only be enabled by changing a game mode adjustment.

#4 2 years ago

Not every "wizard mode" is worthy of a challenge mode. But some are pretty involved and really well done by the design team. It's great to have a "showcase" for them in challenge modes. Otherwise they don't get seen very much.

Playing the Mando challenge mode reminds me of an old school video game. Where I keep trying to get further, get to that next stage. I've only finished it a few times. JP2 is the same way, although I haven't made it to the end.

1 month later
    #5 2 years ago

There's older examples of alternate startup modes too, if not quite the same as the modern Sterns:

Safecracker has Assault on the Vault, started by spending a magic token into the game.

Judge Dredd has the Super Game feature.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bring-on-the-challenge-modes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.