Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you like video modes back in games?”

• Hell ya! 236 votes
    62%
  • Sure so long as I can cancel it out with the flipper buttons & keep playing 49 votes
    13%
  • No 96 votes
    25%

(381 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

how_about_no_evil.jpg
flippy-ghost.jpg
image.jpg

There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

I miss video modes in the pinball machines. Playing IJ the other night (which I believe implemented video well into the theme) had me nostalgic for video modes.

With color dmd, full screen lcd (JJP), someday Stern doing something with new video system, and new boutiques leveraging color screens - why the hell not.

I know, some of you are LOUD in saying video is not pinball and just slows things down. That's why one could cancel out of the video if the programmer builds it that way. Best of both worlds - for those of us who like video modes.

I challenge Stern, JJP, JPOP (who likes to be different) and the new boutiques - make a video challenge mode for those of us who long for the complete pinball experience.

Flame suit on by purists.

#2 9 years ago

I love video modes but understand people saying they should be able to pro gram their game not to play them.

#3 9 years ago

Sorry man, but the current state of code coming out of new games doesn't leave me hopeful that we will see any anytime soon. They can barely release games with any code at all these days.

#4 9 years ago

I'd like a Metallica video mode - like a guitar hero sequence or something similar I think would be cool. But overall, yes I would like to see more video modes.

#5 9 years ago

I don't play pinball to play video games on a screen. I play it to whack balls.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I play it to whack balls.

#7 9 years ago

I dont like the stop in play waiting for video modes.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

I'd like a Metallica video mode - like a guitar hero sequence or something similar I think would be cool. But overall, yes I would like to see more video modes.

I agree. I think that would be awesome.

#9 9 years ago

I love the torpedo video mode on fish tales....never get tired of taking that jet skier for a ride!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Elvis had the DDR-style video mode. It wasn't that great.

#11 9 years ago

Video modes kinda declined after Harley-Davidson's nonsensical reused one where you try to bike over everyone on a highway to score an extra ball.

I do like video modes. Especially ones with some sort of leveling up like the ones in Dracula or Johnny Mnemonic.

#12 9 years ago

I too vote yes for video modes. They can be simple or difficult, but they are always welcome in my games. Some of my favorites are JM, FT, IJ, Tommy, Congo, AFM, Elvis.

#13 9 years ago

Good video modes could tease new players.
I definitely would like some.

#14 9 years ago

I always thought it was different and brings a little something to a pin. They should be able to create something with today's technology. Also like I have said before just make them and include in programming or option to leave turned on or off during play. It's that simple.

#15 9 years ago

AMH has one with a great feature, you can turn it off in the menu if it's not your cup of tea

I like them if integrated well such as
Bsd
JM
IJ
Etc...

#16 9 years ago

I always felt Tron needed one

#17 9 years ago

My favorite is the fish tales one. Just love blowing up those jet skiers

#18 9 years ago

Buy a Megatouch or Multicade and leave the pins to be pins.

#19 9 years ago

I used to like some of them but now, they annoy me. I usually can't wait until it is over.

#20 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
#21 9 years ago

A video mode would take time and money away from the game code or a possible mech. On top of that, they usually become repetitive very quickly. Just say no to video modes...

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Then why do you even have pinball machines?

QSS

#23 9 years ago

I agree that they can become repetitive, but with today's programming I have to believe that some variety could be built in to counteract the repetitve nature of video modes from the wpc 95 days. Even incorporating something less than a full blown video mode would be cool - like the catapult in MM which advances you towards a mini wizard mode.

Edit: before I get hatemail even if barnyard multiball isn't considered a true mini-wizard mode you get what I mean...

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A video mode would take time and money away from the game code or a possible mech. On top of that, they usually become repetitive very quickly. Just say no to video modes...

The one in BSD was great... For a while. But after 1000 plays it is just in the way. I've got it on the hardest settings. There is just no way they can add enough depth to make it anything but repetitive. And making it not repetitive takes a lot more effort. Video modes are just a vestigial artifact of pinball trying to compete in the 90s.

And I disagree with the "just have a setting to shut it off if you don't want it" argument. Something else is not in the game to have it. Maybe it's a mech, but maybe it's a mode. I want pinball programmers spending their working time writing rules in a game... Pinball rules.

#25 9 years ago

If that truly is the case Dave - which we don't know for fact, or at least I don't, I think many here would agree that if it is a trade off between a video mode and additonal in-game programming and/or a mech that 99% of us would choose the latter.

#26 9 years ago

Video modes look pretty weak compared to today's games. Twenty years ago games were pretty simple and didn't require a huge coding team like today. Video modes can be cool but I think it's smarter to focus talents on pinball and not old gimmicks.

#27 9 years ago

What was the last video mode made? I cant think of any Sterns that have one.

#28 9 years ago

I could totally get behind a video mode a la Indiana Jones (get the medallion) for The Walking Dead, where you blast a bunch of walkers and have it add to your kill count.

#29 9 years ago

Yes they should bring back video modes. I love them all.

#30 9 years ago

If you don't like video modes. Make it optional within the game.
Video mode starts.
Hit both flipper buttons to cancel and earn 500k, (or any concelation point value based off of games scoring table) for at least getting to it.
Or continue to play video mode with the potential to win much more than 500k

#31 9 years ago

Not my cup of tea. No, No, and a No.

Now if they can be programmed to be optional then fine.

#32 9 years ago

The thing is, if all the games Stern has released so far all had video modes.
As soon as they released one that didnt everyone would complain.
"Why no video mode?!"

So yes video modes would be nice. Awesome on a few games even. To those that say no, would you not buy or play a because it had them?
I think not.

To those that want a way to turn them off.
Tons of williams have them, do you hear people saying
"The game is great, I just wish there was a way to remove the video modes from the code somehow."

Seriously?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

The thing is, if all the games Stern has released so far all had video modes.
As soon as they released one that didnt everyone would complain.
"Why no video mode?!"
So yes video modes would be nice. Awesome on a few games even. To those that say no, would you not buy or play a because it had them?
I think not.
To those that want a way to turn them off.
Tons of williams have them, do you hear people saying
"The game is great, I just wish there was a way to remove the video modes from the code somehow."
Seriously?

Yes...I hate both video modes in CV. I think you can disable Rooney the kangaroo, but copycat is not able to be disabled. I hate it so much it's probably the main reason I hesitate buying it. I wish there was a way to remove them both.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#35 9 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

What was the last video mode made? I cant think of any Sterns that have one.

T3 has one

#36 9 years ago

Elvis has one as well.

#37 9 years ago

Good god these are just so awful why would anyone want to play a mini video game that has nothing to do with pinball on a 2 color dotted screen using only 2 buttons for controls? These often give extra balls also. So you can't just skip them or you're at a disadvantage.

Finally, people don't realize. But coding video modes take a lot of time. Tis is time they could be used to improve the fun and rules in the game. I bet a video mode takes as long to code as say 3-4 good modes. Who here would prefer a video mode over say the 4 crank it up modes on metallica?

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Good god these are just so awful why would anyone want to play a mini video game that has nothing to do with pinball on a 2 color dotted screen using only 2 buttons for controls? These often give extra balls also. So you can't just skip them or you're at a disadvantage.
Finally, people don't realize. But coding video modes take a lot of time. Tis is time they could be used to improve the fun and rules in the game. I bet a video mode takes as long to code as say 3-4 good modes. Who here would prefer a video mode over say the 4 crank it up modes on Metallica?

They're also really lame for competitive play, because it's extremely unfair for someone to win a pinball match by a margin of points earned by not actually playing pinball. So if a new game were released with a video mode, the video mode should absolutely be disabled in tournament mode (and preferably have a setting to disable it all together).

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

They're also really lame for competitive play, because it's extremely unfair for someone to win a pinball match by a margin of points earned by not actually playing pinball. So if a new game were released with a video mode, the video mode should absolutely be disabled in tournament mode (and preferably have a setting to disable it all together).

Another awsome point.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Hmm...then why did you take so much time programming color into DMD for CCC if you just want to whack the ball. (btw thank you)

Quoted from Pimp77:

A video mode would take time and money away from the game code or a possible mech.

So let's make excuses for Stern (or anyone else) because it would detract from the game code but Williams was able to pull it off? Excuses. If games in the past could find time to fit them in so can the new uber talented programmers with trading cards of themselves.

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

They're also really lame for competitive play,

I don't play competitively so I don't care. But for those that do a suggestion was made earlier to be able to disable video modes in the menu system. Problem solved.

Walking Dead and Metallica are two very cool ideas mentioned in this thread where a video mode would have been cool. There is a place for video modes especially now in pinball. In the 90s everyone points out competing with arcade games. Well now your competing with phone apps. Geometry Dash and Flappy are some of the most popular iPhone games - and you know what - they could both work within confines of a DMD.

Those who are pinball purists I get it. But there's room for both of us in this hobby with an optional menu option. We want our video mode.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

So let's make excuses for Stern (or anyone else) because it would detract from the game code but Williams was able to pull it off? Excuses. If games in the past could find time to fit them in so can the new uber talented programmers with trading cards of themselves.

Spoken just like I might hear from someone that has no clue how to write code or what's involved in the process. Simply dismissing this point because the folks at williams decided it was a priority is silly.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Well now your competing with phone apps. Geometry Dash and Flappy are some of the most popular iPhone games - and you know what - they could both work within confines of a DMD.

A 128x32 2 color DMD cannot come close to comparing to some of these "phone screens". My iPhone has a 1920x1080 color display that competes with an hdtv. It's not even close. Further if you want to play those games you can play on your phone, then step away from the pinball machine and pull your phone out.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Spoken just like I might hear from someone that has no clue how to write code or what's involved in the process. Simply dismissing this point because the folks at williams decided it was a priority is silly.

Yup, dismissed it as fast as I blinked. Last I checked games in the past with video modes had pretty solid code. So because it may take more time and add to the process we should just pass on it? That's as silly as it reads my friend. How many apps are in the app store right now? Lots of coders have no clue I guess.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

A 128x32 2 color DMD cannot come close to comparing to some of these "phone screens". My iPhone has a 1920x1080 color display that competes with an hdtv. It's not even close. Further if you want to play those games you can play on your phone, then step away from the pinball machine and pull your phone out.

JJP is using 128x32 2 color DMD? And the bit resolution does not limit the ability for a video mode. Come on.

You should sell STTNG, Congo, AFM (your avatar) and a few others in your collection if you feel so strongly. They all have video modes you apparently despise.

Agree to disagree my friend. But telling someone that differs with your opinion they have "no clue" when it's been successfully done in the past gets 0 style points.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Yup, dismissed it as fast as I blinked. Last I checked games in the past with video modes had pretty solid code. So because it may take more time and add to the process we should just pass on it? That's as silly as it reads my friend. How many apps are in the app store right now? Lots of coders have no clue I guess.

well we pass on it because it's not pinball. We don't add it as an option for a few complainers because it takes so much effort for something that is not going to fully integrate into the game because it needs to be optional. If the same amount of time to add a video mode is given to the developer, let him add some additional *pinball* modes instead. It's always a trade off.

And yes, games like CV would have been way better if they spent the wasted time they took to write two video modes and applied them towards enhancing the actual game. Perhaps if that happened, we wouldn't be hearing about CV 2.0.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

We don't add it as an option for a few complainers

70% of pinsiders (so far in poll) are a few complainers?

BTW...I agree on CV needed more pinball modes.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

You should sell STTNG, Congo, AFM (your Avatar) and a few others in your collection if you feel so strongly. They all have video modes you apparently despise.

I despise the video modes in all those games. But the games are still fun *in spite* of the video modes. Why would I sell the games? I don't have to like everything about every game to have the net result still be worth it. The video modes in sttng, congo, mm, cv, Johnny Mnemonic - those modes are just awful. And they can't be disabled either.

Imagine how much better a game like theatre of magic would have been had they spent the time they spent writing that awful pinball video mode on writing a decent wizard mode, fixing bugs when the outlane magnets fail, fixing the trunk timing issues that cause it to be mistakenly turned off When it doesn't have to be, etc.

As far as ruining the game, I sold Williams IJ because there were too many video modes. That game was ruined by them.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

70% of pinsiders (so far in poll) are a few complainers?
BTW...I agree on CV needed more pinball modes.

I actually think most pinsiders don't realize how time consuming writing a video mode is. They think "add an optional mode that can be disabled? Why not!" If it was clear that a single video mode code could take as long as ( or be replaced by 4 real pinball modes ), I don't think 70% would want it.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I actually think most pinsiders don't realize how time consuming writing a video mode is. They think "add an optional mode that can be disabled? Why not!" If it was clear that a single video mode code could take as long as ( or be replaced by 4 real pinball modes ), I don't think 70% would want it.

I respect your opinion even though I disagree with it. However, your post reads like everyone other than you, because you're a programmer, is ignorant and wrong. Do you know how many of the 70% in the poll are programmers too?

In the end, as a consumer who is paying $6000-$8000k for a game we have every right to voice our requests (wants) to pinball manufacturers and still expect complete code with cool new video modes. They can choose to listen or pass on the idea. Is coding difficult? I'll share a secret, consumers don't care. We just want the finished product to dazzle and delight us. And smart companies listen to their customers and adjust their cost structure to make it work.

So a car company should not make their cars "smart or entertainment cars" with integrated dashboards and features because it's hard to program and will take away from engine performance? They should just focus on gas mileage and engine performance because it's all about driving.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 15.00
$ 98.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 26.50
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 1,419.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bring-back-video-modes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.