(Topic ID: 313881)

Bring Back The Toilet (Trap Door) Target!

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should the toilet target make a comeback?”

• Heck yes... build a path with that silver ball! 12 votes
      92%
    • No, I'd died for a reason and you should feel bad for even suggesting it. 1 vote
      8%

(13 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E5D41AE3-B1B3-435A-9565-96E76EE1C079 (resized).jpeg
    20220419_052728 (resized).jpg
    20220419_052658 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Bring back the toilet target! No, not in the bathroom, not on Austin Powers, and not on South Park but on the playfield part of a pinball machine... preferably over a subway. In looking through the graphic novel, "Pinball, a History of the Silverball" I learned about this cool type of target that was popular... 90 years ago.

Essentially, a ball drops into a hole, forcing a lid to close allowing for the next ball to go past the hole (see graphic below). This seems like a really neat concept that functions similarly to inline drops. If you had these over a location with a subway underneath, I could see it as being a really cool way to "build a path" to get to another location. Off the top of my head, I think something like this would have been neat in a game like "Whitewater". Hitting the targets could represent a building a bridge, and allow you to get to a different part of the playfield or access a different ramp exit back to the flippers. The ball could drop down into existing parts of the playfield.

This idea would also work well in a game with a subway underneath as ball drop damage to a playfield wouldn't be an issue.

I think it is a cool forgotten idea and wanted to throw the idea back out there for the homebrewers if nothing else.
    20220419_052658 (resized).jpg20220419_052658 (resized).jpg20220419_052728 (resized).jpg20220419_052728 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

Never seen that in a pin but I think it could be a nice "toy". Like three in a row and after all three were down it opened up access to a ramp or similar (kind of like three drop down targets in a row but much simpler mechanics). The balls from all three holes could all end up in the same subway and VUK to get back into play.

#3 1 year ago

I think Mousin Arounds cheese locks is the closest I can think of in terms of a “trap door” target?

#4 1 year ago

Looks like a type of gobble hole.

#5 1 year ago

X-Files has this mechanism.

With modern pinballs the ball is traveling VERY fast, and just as we find on RUSH, the ball tends to beat the sides of such holes and the sides of the parts above the playfield to death.

X-Files mechanism works... but it looks pretty ugly and beaten up.

#6 1 year ago

I always loved hitting the trap door on TOM. More games should have that feature.

#7 1 year ago

Funhouse has a trap door.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from DK:

I think Mousin Arounds cheese locks is the closest I can think of in terms of a “trap door” target?

Haunted house, and it literally says trapdoor or secret door?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:I always loved hitting the trap door on TOM. More games should have that feature.

Quoted from drummermike:

Funhouse has a trap door.

Cool, but different concepts.

Imagine Whitewater and the long left ball return. Imagine if the first ball going down that return fell through a hole that closed a door, allowing the second ball to pass over and down the ramp. Now imagine a 2nd and 3rd trap door doing the same, with a jackpot at the end of the ball return ramp.

#10 1 year ago

Currently working on a 1933 Silver Cup: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1933-genco-silver-cup#post-6861818

E5D41AE3-B1B3-435A-9565-96E76EE1C079 (resized).jpegE5D41AE3-B1B3-435A-9565-96E76EE1C079 (resized).jpeg
    #11 1 year ago

Big Broadcast is a game where these feature prominently. I like the idea of lining them up, like in Silver Cup.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Cool, but different concepts.
    Imagine Whitewater and the long left ball return. Imagine if the first ball going down that return fell through a hole that closed a door, allowing the second ball to pass over and down the ramp. Now imagine a 2nd and 3rd trap door doing the same, with a jackpot at the end of the ball return ramp.

You mean like Doctor Who?

#13 1 year ago

DataEast Secret Service has a ball trap on the right side that is kinda like what you are talking about. It is a pretty cool mech- I like it because the ball hits it and instantly disappears.
    I think the original TMNT had a sewer cap that trapped the ball too.

#14 1 year ago

Debbie Downer: probably a recipe for disaster/damage at modern pinball speed with current playfield "quality."

edit: PinRetail beat me to it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bring-back-the-toilet-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.