Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03-8651-13 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    image-42.jpg
    image-551.jpg
    image.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 7 30 45 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 7 15 53 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 7 15 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 7 15 16 PM.jpg
    image.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 9 59 47 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 9 59 40 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 9 48 52 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 28, 7 57 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 28, 7 57 12 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 9 32 39 AM.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calico1997.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've just now put together these neat little devices - Printed Circuit Boards with 40 LEDs; side fire on the top perimiter to send light into the pop bumper cap; underside to light the play field; and a ring of center LEDs that can be set to "flash react" with ball strikes based on vibration or to just stay on. Brightness is also adjustable. These come in a variety of colors and just plug-in with no wires, no glue. I love modding with LEDs and was never happy with single LEDs for pop bumpers. These white circuit boards sort of "glow" from the LEDs and can be used with existing caps or clear caps.

I've put more information on the following link:

http://www.britemods.com/britecaps--evo.html

Note - these circuit boards do add about 5 mm hight to the pop bumper. Not recommended for very tight spaces or where pop bumper caps are "cut into partials" on some games.

PATENT PENDING

20141218_163527.jpg20141218_163527.jpg 20141218_162438.jpg20141218_162438.jpg colors.jpgcolors.jpg Slide1.JPGSlide1.JPG 20141218_162345.jpg20141218_162345.jpg
    #2 9 years ago

Here is also a video demo link that shows the center LEDs with motion sensing "Flash React".

#5 9 years ago

No, these are not related to the Lock Is Lit podcast.

#7 9 years ago

Forgot to mention...

the power consumption is essentially no higher than a traditional 555 light bulb. Even less if you turn the brightness down. It depends a bit on the color tested. I measure between 0.15 and 0.26 amps.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

AWESOME!!!!
    Are the underside LEDs the same color as the topside or just white?
    I hope they are colored on top and white below.
    Now you need to add a "chaser" circuit to be Uber Sweet!

Thanks for your comments. All underside LEDs are white. Also the top side perimeter LEDs are side fire so it is really not as bright as it looks in the pictures. Any camera I've tried always makes LEDs look like super bright pinpoints but they are much better in real life. Also the brightness is fully adjusable on the upper and lower perimeter LEDs.

1 month later
    #20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I love these, I'm about to order some for my Bride of Pinbot. , i'd love to put these in my Space Station also, but the extra 5 mm will not allow it, is there a possibility you could create these without the outer ring??? I absolutely love the flasher action!!!

Not a bad idea! Are you saying that the outer diameter of the lights, being 70mm diameter, are too large? Does Space Station require a wedge socket or a bayonet socket?

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Installed today. Not sure if I like it or not. The following probably applies only my situation:
    I think I should have ordered cool or warm white instead of red and let the bumper cap do the color work, doesn't match the color of my inserts and it's noticeable to me.
    I wish the bottom had a separate adjustment from the top so I can make the bottom level a little brighter, but keep the top on the dimmer side.
    My flash isn't very bright. If I manually push the button up it is brighter so maybe my ring isn't popping up far enough?
    I may not be used to having light because my pop bumper has been dark for many months so the change might just be too much of a shock right now and my opinion could move up after a few days this installed.

Hi Geocab,

Thanks for your input. The flashing / blinking centers are midrange LEDs because some people didn't want the center light so bright as to be annoying or distracting. But you can adjust the contrast between them by turning the brightness of the perimeter lights down with the adjustment screw. Then they will be less bright and the center LEDs will flash a little brighter.
    Photo Mar 08, 9 32 39 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 9 32 39 AM.jpg

#24 9 years ago

There was a question about cool and warm whites. Here's a couple pictures for just comparison sake - with and without a pop bumper cap.

Photo Feb 28, 7 57 12 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 28, 7 57 12 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 28, 7 57 33 PM.jpgPhoto Feb 28, 7 57 33 PM.jpg

#26 9 years ago

Yes, and the brightness is adjustable. Unfortunately the photos taken in the dark make them look really bright but if I shine a light on them, you can see the side fire LEDs with the brightness set to minimum...close up view enclosed.

Photo Mar 08, 9 48 52 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 9 48 52 AM.jpg

#28 9 years ago

One diffusion option are the jeweled caps available from Pinball Life. Here's a red with the center LEDs switched to flash mode and then with them on and flashing.

Photo Mar 08, 9 59 40 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 9 59 40 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 9 59 47 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 9 59 47 AM.jpg

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Will these fit modern sterns like MET, ACDC , ST..etc ?

Yes - in fact the prototypes were developed on Stern's Walking Dead. Just make sure there's enough room for a full sized pop bumper cap where the pop bumper(s) are located.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from holmstarrunner:

Can you adjust the outside lights to turn all the way off or really dim? I would like only the center lights to go off when activated. If you dim the outside lights, do you dim the center lights also at the same time?

Yes, the outer perimeter lights can be dimmed from 100% power all the way down to "off". That leaves the center lights that can be set to either remain on all the time or flash upon pop bumper vibration using the switch on the underside of the circuit board. The dimmer does not affect the center lights.

#42 9 years ago

Per request from Geocab, here's the cool white and warm white and then the red LEDs in that order, with a red pop bumper cap. Of course the camera on my IPAD does not capture the true color correctly. I'd say the warm white gives the most natural pinball lighting as intended by the designers. The cool works better if you want the whole pinball machine to have cool colors. But the cool does overpower the cap color a bit and actually appears a little "orangish" in the photo. The red LEDs in the red cap have little benefit, but if your old caps are faded, then they do boost the color a bit. A brand new cap is used in these pictures.

Photo Mar 08, 7 15 16 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 7 15 16 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 08, 7 15 32 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 7 15 32 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 7 15 53 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 7 15 53 PM.jpg

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Yes they dim and the center ring had a button on all the time or on flash with action. Make sure you don't oress the button as your tightening down. Lol. I did...

Here's a photo of what they look like if you adjust the outer lights to off and just use the center lights.

These can flash or stay on continuously.

Photo Mar 08, 7 30 45 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 08, 7 30 45 PM.jpg

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's you, I think. To me his picture of the cool LEDs makes the cap look more "orange", which sounds about right.. I've had cool frosted LEDs under red lane guides before, was the same deal. Looked awful lol.

I thought that was weird as well. But the cool LEDs are so bright that they do wash out some of the red and make it look a little bit orange. It's not a dramatic in real life but the photos make it look that way.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I just installed 3 in bop, one of them will not react to flash, is there a fix to this?
    I guess I can't say it won't react completely, it reacts about every 20 times or so

Hi Chosen_S,

I'm going to put a new one in the mail to you as repalcement. I sent you a PM asking for your address. Sorry for the problem.

2 years later
    #59 6 years ago

Unfortunately I don't think they would in most cases.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calico1997.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brilliant-new-pop-bumper-leds-w-flashing-centers?tu=calico1997 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.