(Topic ID: 148919)

Brightening up TWD play field.. too much red?

By kpg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by kpg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

545-5409-01_077-5206-01_(resized).jpg
d507b6beb4dfbdb32f02615583530a1f393ae46d_(resized).jpg
0d648612b3f8aa1a45b94f650ba0c86525c4febb_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hey guys! Pulled the trigger on a TWD Premium which I will have delivered next week, to go alongside my MET Premium.

My question is, my wife and I played a TWD LE machine at a local arcade. The gameplay was great and because of this we decided to move forward on it. The main gripe my wife has with it (me so as well, but not as much) is the always dark red LED lighting. I assume the GI brightness/intensity is adjustable like my MET, correct? Has anyone else had this criticism and changed bulbs out to brighten it up?

One of the things we like the most about MET is its amazing and intense LED lighting and artwork. I know TWD is an entirely different game and theme, and this is why we like it. I am just looking for opinions on what can be done to brighten it up a bit as its a very fun game but a bit too dark. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Has anyone swapped their red LEDs for white whites, or at least just a few in various parts of the play field?

#3 8 years ago

Nope I love the white/red changing gi and have no issues seeing in a completely dark room. It has some great lighting effects once u get further in the game and changing to mostly white wld defeat the changing gi purpose

#4 8 years ago

Many have changed the White GI to warm white to match more of the tone of the game.
You can certainly change some reds out if you wish.
You can add more white spotlights, or LED strips on the apron, to your level of brightness to wash out.
(Shoot we just tested game length UV on this and its insane!)

In general though, its more a matter of time to get use to, as the Code is designed to use the lighting
for the "experience" of play.

Personally, Id give it a few weeks, before Id change.....its definitely different from other games.

#5 8 years ago

I would also recommend holding off until you think your game is actually too dark. Lyman programs the lights very specifically to add mood to the modes. I would hate to see you miss out on the effect just to brighten things up. When those Multikill inserts are blinding you , you won't notice any bright issues. You will be blind. lol

Zombies still die in the dark.

#6 8 years ago

Change the whites to warm and the Reds to frosted reds and the effects aren't lost but the game is no longer color bombed. Photo here in super dark room. Spotlighting added down the middle but you can see the natural colors in the plastics.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 8 years ago

I changed my LE to WW and reds but in the fluted dome style from Comet, best GI lights on the market for me.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smdfd.htm

0d648612b3f8aa1a45b94f650ba0c86525c4febb_(resized).jpg0d648612b3f8aa1a45b94f650ba0c86525c4febb_(resized).jpg

d507b6beb4dfbdb32f02615583530a1f393ae46d_(resized).jpgd507b6beb4dfbdb32f02615583530a1f393ae46d_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago

I wouldn't change a thing, except get the prison fence mod from PBL. Best mod. I have three colors I rotate to give a great effect.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wouldn't change a thing, except get the prison fence mod from PBL. Best mod. I have three colors I rotate to give a great effect.

U mean pinball refinery pinblades and el fence mod?

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

U mean pinball refinery pinblades and el fence mod?

Just the EL fence mod. I don't care for the pinblades. You can change out colors with EL mod once you have wiring harness set up.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just the EL fence mod. I don't care for the pinblades. You can change out colors with EL mod once you have wiring harness set up.

U said pinball life tho which y I said refinery . I like the pin blades behind the fence bc it looks like walkers are trying to get threw to you ..

#12 8 years ago

Refinery. Yeah the blades are cool too!

#13 8 years ago

Thanks guys !!! I appreciate the feedback. I love how the EL fence thing looks, so i'll probably get that in white. Does it make things complicated when lifting the play field though? I might even do the warm white change outs too. But most of all, I will take the recommendations with keeping the game for a bit and seeing if we get used to it more.

#14 8 years ago

I'm going to add these to my 90's DMD's and figured this is probably the best way to light up TWD without messing with the current GI.

545-5409-01_077-5206-01_(resized).jpg545-5409-01_077-5206-01_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago

I made my own and used it to light up my woodbury sign. I tied it to the Woodbury insert.

You can see it in this video:

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm going to add these to my 90's DMD's and figured this is probably the best way to light up TWD without messing with the current GI.

545-5409-01_077-5206-01_(resized).jpg

I did this and stuck a spotlight under the left ramp on my TFLE. Lit up a rather dark area back there above the pop lanes. Used a couple idc connectors and z connectors to tie it into the GI.

#18 8 years ago

Great ideas! I am probably going to do those reflectors with some standoffs and set them up on the slingshots how MET does it, just to light up the play field a bit.

I also ordered the fence mod, prison flasher, and well walker flasher from Pinball Refinery.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 8.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brightening-up-twd-play-field-too-much-red and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.