Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Hawk007
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

last night playing LAH flipper tip broke off player held flipper up and the game freaked out starting reseting multiple times.
My research has lead me to believe the reset could be a Bridge Rectifier issue, and or diode at the coils.
So upon inspection PS board BR is a MB351. looks like its been replaced
2 above the large capacitor are MB351. looks like its been replaced, one is loose on backplate.
and the PPB is a MB354. looks to be original.
Should i replace all or some which ones?
i have 2 Bridge Rectifier - 35amp 600volt KBPC3506W on the way, and locally can get 35amp 1kv (will theses work or overkill?)

#2 8 years ago

Check your fuse clips. Press down hard on the installed fuses and if they Y out the clips then there is your problem. EVERY DE game I have ever seen has bad fuse clips. Known weak spot.
Tighten the Bridge thats loose on the BB too. It needs to be tight to dissipate heat

The BR 's you ordered are perfect. I use them all the time to replace the lowly factory stuff. Check your connectors too. PS,CPU etc..

#3 8 years ago

Well, I think you really need to measure the voltages on the power supply to determine the cause of the reset. At the top of the power supply are some test points. I would be interested in knowing if 12 volts or 5 volts is a problem. If it is a 5 volt issue, then I would replace the C2 capacitor (100uf 25 volt electrolytic). If 12 volt issue, then you may have burnt pins on CN1, fuse clip problem with F1 or F2 or even the bridge rectifier is going out.

So you need to measure the voltages as it is the starting point to know where to look.
If 12 volts is ok, then the bridge rectifier is not the problem.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Power_Supply_Issues

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from N8man:

last night playing LAH flipper tip broke off player held flipper up and the game freaked out starting reseting multiple times.
My research has lead me to believe the reset could be a Bridge Rectifier issue, and or diode at the coils.
So upon inspection PS board BR is a MB351. looks like its been replaced
2 above the large capacitor are MB351. looks like its been replaced, one is loose on backplate.
and the PPB is a MB354. looks to be original.
Should i replace all or some which ones?
i have 2 Bridge Rectifier - 35amp 600volt KBPC3506W on the way, and locally can get 35amp 1kv (will theses work or overkill?)

No problem. 1kv is just a higher rated part than the 600v part you have coming in the mail.
I would not just randomly replace them. As I mentioned in the post above, determine where your problem is.
They are very difficult to remove without damaging the pads and traces.

Yes, it is good to check to see if there is a broken diode on the coil, but also use your ohmmeter to see what the coil ohms are. You can compare the ohms of all the flipper coils to see if there is a big difference in the resistance.

But regardless of what you find, replace the C2 (100 uf 25 volt capacitor) as this one holds the 5volts stable, but if it leaks or just fails, you will have random resets.

#5 8 years ago

checked all fuse holders when i first got the pin 2 weeks ago, replaced every fuse to make sure correct ones were installed many were under amped.

looks like i should order a couple more BR's to be safe.

#6 8 years ago

5.03 at 5+ TP1
11.80 at 12+ TP3

#7 8 years ago

ok fuse clips are fine then go on to check connectors and header pins particularly on the power supply and also check power test points. If its low or too much ac ripple it will reset.

3501 is only 100v and the 3506 is a 600v BR much better. Bridges are like caps in that a higher voltage value is fine.

It was reflowed I bet and not replaced.
You need to check the little caps c2 and c3 on the power supply as well. EVERY de power supply I have seen has both of these caps leaking or bad.
Particularly the little cap by the bridge...If its bad game will reset due to low 5 volts under load.

#8 8 years ago

also you can replace the coil diodes anyways. They have had a tough life and they are very cheap. Also under- fusing is fine. No harm done as fuse will blow sooner.
Just DO NOT over fuse. Makes the fuse useless and damage or fire can result.

#9 8 years ago

ok will pull PS board check the caps. looks like the PS board BR tabs were cut and the new BR soldered onto the old tabs.

maybe unrelated now all lamp matrix lights are out.

#10 8 years ago

check the solders on the pins too and look for tarnished or burnt ones as well as cold solders/dark rings or lack of solder.

Lamp matrix lights get power from the BB mounted Bridge. Check the fuses there and also check the bridge as well which is easy to do with dmm on diode setting. Pinwiki has the process or I can walk you through it.

#11 8 years ago

PS board out
CN1 pin12 is broke free will resolder
BR test
+ to AC .54
+ to 2nd AC .52
- to AC .49
- to 2nd AC .51

#12 8 years ago

CN1 is bad and needs the whole molex header replaced. 12 pin male board mounted unit as well as the female pins on the connector side. Thats the power in for the entire power supply and it needs to be perfect.
Very common for that to be burned
You found the problem and thats at least half the battle.

#13 8 years ago

had a cap on hand for C2 and replaced.

whats the best method to remove the 12 pin molex male board?
pin by pin with an iron, or reflow station and heat it all at once

#14 8 years ago

just checked BB BR's one is reading .89 thats the one that was loose. new BR's should be in tomarrow

Thanks guys. will fallow up later

#15 8 years ago

I have had great success solder sucking all 12 pins out with a temp controlled solder station and solder sucker and then it just falls off the board after the last pin is done. If it does not come easy that way......add more solder to all pins and solder suck again and it should fall right off.

If the lamp matrix fuse is blown its bridge is usually bad and with it being loose on the BB its gotten really hot during its life and could use to be replaced.
Do not forget to add the conducting compound before attaching the new bridge to the BB. Heat is their enemy. And if the screw strips in the hole add bamboo skewers with glue or tooth picks with glue to take up the slop and reattach it firmly.
Good luck! I am sure you will be playing in no time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Boards
PinSound

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bridge-rectifiers-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.