• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20220309-093117_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hey friends.

First off, I appreciate anyone's help with this question.

I have a power board bridge rectifier that I need to replace on my Pinball Magic. The original part number is MB354W. This BR is now obsolete. I called Mouser and they said 833- MB1505W-BP could match up, but they weren't sure. Guy I spoke to said I'd need to check the data sheets of both. Sigh

Anyway, I did some research and came across possible replacements as seen in the attached photo.

My 1st question is - I have a KBPC3510W rectifier on hand. Idk if there is a difference between the KBPC or the MB lettering or if theyre just the manufacturers of them. Anyway, Is that actually the same thing as the MB3510 as seen in the attached pic, is it completely different and can I use the one I have?

My 2nd question is - If I can't use the KBPC3510W I have or if the MB3510W in the picture isn't the correct one to use, does anyone know the exact replacement BR I need to replace the bad one?

Thanks all for your help and I hope the answer to this question will help others down the road.

Screenshot_20220309-093117_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220309-093117_Chrome (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I think that the MB is for metal body and the W is for wire leads. What you need is a 35 amp 400 volt minimum bridge rectifier with wire leads. See below from Great Plains Electronics.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp

#3 2 years ago

Part number help for bridges.......................

GBPC35 or KBPC35 is the core common part number for 35A bridge rectifiers. Either is fine, different brands, different part number, same thing. MB3505 sounds like a part number from a not common (anymore) brand.

The two digits after GBPC35 indicates the maximum voltage. GBPC3506 is 600v, GBPC3504 is 400v, KBPC3510 is 1000v.

Add a W to the end indicates if you want wire leads or spade terminal lugs. GBPC3506W = with wire leads. GBPC3506 = Spade lugs. A lot of people prefer wire lead style when soldered direct to the circuit board. Even if the PCB has plated slots for the spade lug bridge.

Search for GBPC3504 at arrow $0.61ea Diodes Inc brand, pretty good price.
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/gbpc3504/diodes-incorporated

#4 2 years ago

The KBPC3510W will work fine.
That would be a 35A bridge with a 1000V rating.

KBPC specifies the footprint of the bridge - which is the same as parts with MB and GBPC prefix.
None of these three are obsolete - just depends on which manufacturer you go to for which variant is used.
The "W" suffix specifies parts with wire leads. No suffix or sometimes "L" suffix means they have lugs instead of wire leads.
That TME price is a real good but you have two problems with that one. 1 -- the stock they had was in Europe, shipping would have more than doubled price. 2 -- they have no stock.

Bit more info:
Two primary types -- full metal body and phenolic body with heat slug.
The full metal body bridges often cost less.
Full metal body bridges tend to have better thermal characteristics if you do NOT use a heat sink. The full body radiates better to ambient air.
The heat slug bridges tend to have better thermal characteristics if you do use a heat sink. The internal diodes are better connected (thermally) to the heat slug which conducts heat better to the heat sink.
The prefix does not always specify which body you are getting. GBPC and KBPC prefixes can be phenolic or metal body depending on manufacturer. So far, all MB prefix parts that I have seen have been metal body.

For pinball use - either one works fine.
As JChristian said - Stick with a 35 Amp part.
The part would be MB35xW, GBPC35xxW and KBPC35xxW.
xx = voltage. Often original parts were 200V rated. There is normally zero cost difference between the 200V and 400V bridges so most people opt for the 400V parts. Most commonly used wire lead parts: MB354W, GBPC3504W and KBPC3504W.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Search for GBPC3504 at arrow $0.61ea Diodes Inc brand, pretty good price.
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/gbpc3504/diodes-incorporated

That is an excellent price for the best brand of these. Sadly, Diodes Inc no longer makes these.
Compared to others - Diodes Inc had nearly glass smooth heat sink surface and had the best thermal characteristics.
BUT note that these have the lug leads.

<edit>
... dang! They have 85K of these in stock. Once again I bought from the wrong place...

#6 2 years ago

I like to keep an eye on Arrow's obsolete and discounted stuff. When things go obsolete or they get a smallish odd number of a part they no longer want to stock they will heavily discount the price like this bridge. Picked up some oscillators I use that normally go for $1 from western brands at less than 1/5th that price. Major awesome deals on electro caps too. Been getting high quality spec'd NIC caps made in japan from arrow at unbelievable deals. When Arrrow only lists one price, and not like five tiers of quantity, it is usually means it is heavily marked down.

#7 2 years ago

Wow! Thank God for the great help and info from all the great people on Pinside.

Thank you guys for the help and great explanations of everything. I'm going to order a few different types from that site with the great prices. Hopefully the shipping isn't too bad. If it is, I'll roll over to GPE and place an order with them.

Thanks again my friends. I appreciate you all.

Edit - Just wanted to let anyone who may visit this thread in the future know that I replaced the BR with the 3510 and my Pinball Magic has been running perfectly since.

TY again to everyone who responded and helped me with this.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Wow! Thank God for the great help and info from all the great people on Pinside.
Thank you guys for the help and great explanations of everything. I'm going to order a few different types from that site with the great prices. Hopefully the shipping isn't too bad. If it is, I'll roll over to GPE and place an order with them.
Thanks again my friends. I appreciate you all.

Arrow does free shipping, might be a minimum order value to get it. Also sign up for their perks program as it discounts stuff even further, I think the more you buy, more perks discount is applied. When I am logged in with the perks account, it usually strips off a few % from the listed price. Look for coupons too. A lot of times they have 10% off coupon or save $50 on your first arrow perks order.

1 year later
#9 9 months ago

Yes, it's an old post but one that was very helpful. Thanks all! Anyway, prices are 7x nowadays. Checking Arrow, Mouser, DigiKey & Marco, and $4-$6 seems to be the going rate. If you notice a deal, post or IM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,100 (OBO)
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bridge-rectifier-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.