You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

left eye.jpg
20230912_093802 (resized).jpg
20230912_094111 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey there pinball friends! I'm having a weird issue with my BOP. Everything works fine. All head switches (left eye, right eye, mouth, switch 67 face position) work fine. Multiball proceeds as normal, one shot to the mouth, then spins to 2 eyes side. If the first lock ball of multi ball goes in the left eye, everything goes as planned. However if the first lock ball goes in the right eye, it says "partial optical link" as normal, but then ends the ball (as if drained) and displays bonus and kicks out the next ball to the shooter lane. Then things go as normal. I thought it must be software so I tried burning a new rom, no difference. I checked the switch matrix to make sure that the outhole wasn't on the same row or column and its not. Not sure what's going on here. Any insight would be appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

ok folks- no initial responses. further research shows that left trough switch is reading as permanently closed. I cut the wires off the switch to make sure it wasn't the switch itself, but even with the switch fully disconnected from the game it's still reading as closed in a switch level test. (of course there is no ball on that switch while it's being tested) I feel like these issues must be related but I'm not sure where to go from here. Last piece of info is that all of the other switches on the row (7) and column (2) for left trough switch are working fine. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

#3 1 year ago

I wish I knew how to help you but try posting in the BOP owners thread here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bop-clubnon-20.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynsystems:

ok folks- no initial responses. further research shows that left trough switch is reading as permanently closed. I cut the wires off the switch to make sure it wasn't the switch itself, but even with the switch fully disconnected from the game it's still reading as closed in a switch level test. (of course there is no ball on that switch while it's being tested) I feel like these issues must be related but I'm not sure where to go from here. Last piece of info is that all of the other switches on the row (7) and column (2) for left trough switch are working fine. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Try disconnecting the switch wires at the board. If it doesn’t read closed after that, you know the issue is in the wires, probably a short. If it still reads closed, you know the issue is on the board. At least narrows it down.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynsystems:

left trough switch is reading as permanently closed. I cut the wires off the switch to make sure it wasn't the switch itself, but even with the switch fully disconnected from the game it's still reading as closed in a switch level test.

Next step is isolate the problem to either the MPU or the playfield. Pinwiki has a good process for this: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

If you look at the switch matrix on this handy tech chart http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Williams_The_Machine_Bride_of_Pinbot_Tech_Chart.pdf you’ll notice the right eye is switch 63 or 64 (looks like there is a typo on the chart) and the left trough is switch 27. If you draw a rectangle that includes those two switches the other corners of the rectangle are switches 67 Face Position, 23 ticket dispenser, 24 always closed. Check the diodes on those switches. I’d suspect the face position since it’s used most often.

Could also be related to the outhole 38 so also check the other corner of that rectangle which is one of the skill shot switches.
Good luck, keep us updated if you figure it out.

#6 1 year ago

Thanks guys! I'll check it out this weekend and report back. Much appreciated.

5 months later
#7 7 months ago

hey friends- Bride of Pinbot has been neglected for months. It's at a friends house and between family things and 20 other pins on location I haven't had a chance to diagnose. But this weekend I have been at it for a while. Found a broken diodes (right trough), fixed. replaced some diodes (right eye, left eye, face position), replaced face position switch. Nothing worked. Right eye still triggers left trough. left trough diode tests good. all the trough diodes and switches test good.

I disconnected the switch matrix from the CPU board and manually triggered right eye with jumper wires- that works as it should, so it's something down by the playfield, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I tried triggering all of the switches on the rows and columns involved - everything else works good.

just to confirm- face position sensor is wired to act as closed when open and only acts open when closed on one of the 4 face positions. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

#8 7 months ago

ok some new info- I read through my old posts and the left trough is not permanently closed anymore. It works as it should, except when the right eye switch is triggered, that somehow triggers left trough too. If in multi ball the first ball goes to left eye, and the second to right eye, multi ball proceeds as normal. If on the off chance the ball goes first to the right eye, it says "partial optical link" and then kills the ball. (my best guess is that left trough getting triggered reads as a drain?)

new info: when right eye and left eye are triggered at the same time, so are left trough (same issue) and (the new info) ticket opto. (but left eye doesn't trigger ticket opto when its triggered by itself, only the combo of left and right eye at the same time)

ticket opto is on the same column as left trough.

although I'm not sure what this means, it feels like I'm getting somewhere.

anyone have any thoughts?

Is ticket opto part of the coin door interface board?

#9 7 months ago

New information from todays diagnostics:

When I disconnect the coin door interface board the switch problems disappear.

It looks like the coin door interface board is really just an interconnect with 6 diodes on it. The diodes all test good and the traces seem ok as well. Even with just the big connector (J1) connected to the board, and none of the other connectors hooked up, it causes the switch issues.

Thoughts?

#10 7 months ago

Do you have a picture of the connector to J1. Maybe it is wired wrong.
And have a picture of sw#67 Face Position.

#11 7 months ago

Attaching pics of both. Looks like the coin door J1 is original IDC connector. Face position switch seems to be working properly.

20230912_093802 (resized).jpg20230912_093802 (resized).jpg20230912_094111 (resized).jpg20230912_094111 (resized).jpg
#12 7 months ago

Both J1 and sw#67 look ok.

Difficult to see but sw.'left eye' might be shorting. Inspect this one.
left eye.jpgleft eye.jpg

#13 7 months ago

Thanks for the response. Its definitely not shorting to the bracket. Everything over there is clean and not touching anything else.

I'm going to try swapping another coin door board from a different machine next week and see what happens.

If anyone has any further insight into this odd issue, please let me know.

1 week later
#14 7 months ago

hey hey, back again. Swapped out a coin door board from Judge Dredd into BoP. It still has the same issues. Right eye trigger left trough, combo of left eye and right eye trigger ticket onto and left trough. When the coin door board is disconnected the problems go away. When I sub another (known working) coin door board, the problems come back. So it's not the coin door board itself. I don't really know where to go from here. I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks!

2 months later
#15 4 months ago

Hey friends, back again- still haven't solved this one. Pulled the connectors from the MPU again to make sure the board was working proper. Jumpered connections and it is working fine.

Found some new issues while testing:
(1) when left eye and right eye are held closed, and start button is pushed, it activates tilt bob, ticket opto, right flipper (in)lane.

old issues:
(1) right eye triggers left trough
(2) left and right eye (only at the same time) trigger left trough and ticket opto
(3) if I disconnect the coin door interconnect board during switch test, all of these issues disappear.

I'm looking at all of the wiring to these switches and everything looks good.

Last piece of info is that I got a message from another pinsider saying they were having the exact same issue (when right eye gets hit first, the bonus gets counted and ball ends). They asked me for a solution, but I still haven't figured it out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this game back in service!

Ed

1 month later
#16 3 months ago

OK OK- after a few weeks of testing for 20 mins here and there I finally figured it out!

During testing I was able to make a bunch of other phantom switches appear:
Right eye and mini playfield left exit triggers right ramp enter and left trough
Left eye, right eye, start button triggers right flipper lane, tilt, ticket opto

ANYWAYS - the solution was the wiring of the left and right eyes. The white wires were soldiered to the wrong lugs on their respective switches. They were wired on the banded side of the diode - the common terminal, instead of the other side (NC terminal). The green should be in the middle (NO terminal) and white should be on the terminal closer to the green (NC terminal) - the diode should have the banded side to the third terminal (Common) and the other side to the terminal with the white wire (NC). Swapped these wires to the NC terminals instead of common and all issues disappeared! Woo-hoo!

Thanks to those who tried to help with this. I guess the previous owner must have messed this up and I didn't catch it until now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 9.99
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-weird-right-eye-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.