Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mkazen
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I have a Bride of Pinbot game which I've had for over 10 years. I've maintained it and replaced parts when they go bad, including soldering a new IC chip for the score display board. This latest problem confuses me though. I should preface it by saying I've ran the diagnostics on all the switches, and they all appear to be working correctly.

That being said, commonly during a game, the machine will just consider the ball to be "over". For example, it could just be bouncing around in the bumpers or off the flippers and it will make the sound like the ball had exited the game (not sure which "ending" it considers to be). It will just tally up the bonuses for that player and switch to the next player (while the ball might still be in play). In fact, it doesn't even launch a new ball, just keeps playing the existing one. Like I said, I tested all the outball switch locations several times and didn't see any issues. Does anyone have any advice for where to go from here?

#2 11 years ago

Sounds like the Outhole switch is registering a drain. Put a ball "in play" and pound on the playfeild to see if you are getting a vibration hit to register a drain. Check for loose wires on the Outhole switch or bad solder joints on the switch itself for starters.

Mike

#3 11 years ago

I'd be thinking basic switch matrix issue. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, or a short to switch wiring. Maybe even have a switch shorting internally.

And could be anywhere, you might get lucky and find it fast - what ever it is will be an easy fix.

Why not go into switch test, leave it set for a bit and see if any switch registers that shouldn't. Next up bang around the playfield and see if any switch is set off by vibration.

LTG : )

#4 11 years ago

Thanks both of you - it's a good idea to put it in switch test and pound on the playfield to see if a short is intermittent. As far as the switch wired wrong, it's been working for more than 10 years, and is only a recent development, so it has to be a short or something similar. I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice.

#5 11 years ago

Sounds like a diode issue, if the wiring is similar to my mid 80's Williams machines the outhole switch is wired in common with the outhole ball ramp switches. Once one of the balls is released you could be getting the error. Have you tried the switch test with one or more of the balls removed from the outhole ramp?

#6 11 years ago

I will try the switch test in multiple scenarios to see if we can figure it out. I'll post here when I have that done - other real life things taking precedent... Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

#7 11 years ago

Ok, so I tried doing all the various switch edge tests - took out the balls, threw them around the playfield, pounded on the playfield, etc. Not a single time did any of the outholes indicate closed. I took one of the balls out, and still nothing. What else can I do to troubleshoot? I'm starting to think it's something wrong with one of the Chips. Any ideas? Your help is appreciated!

#8 11 years ago

No other suggestions? Come on experts!

#9 11 years ago

Try these sites:

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_switch_matrix.html

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/ss-repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

I'm no expert but a bad diod will only show it's head in very specific circumstances. Check this video out:

#10 11 years ago

Thank you Prock, that gives me something else to go on; I didn't realize how the switch matrix worked; I've got some troubleshooting to do...

#11 11 years ago

In the course of doing this, I discovered the problem. The Ball Shooter Lane Feeder isn't retracting fully after kicking the ball into the shooting lane, so the remaining two balls aren't moving into the right position. So here's the new question:

The coil is causing the coil plunger to pull down; it's just not releasing completely back up all the time. Do I need to replace everything or just get a new spring? Or is there something I can oil to get it moving more freely? According to the manual, it's a "C-9638 Ball Shooter Lane Feeder" assembly. I just don't know enough about the coils to know if they should return to the start on their own easily, or if that's a spring's job... Please help

#12 11 years ago

Don't use oil. The coil should go back without the help of oil. If it is working at all, then the coil itself should be fine, but you should check out the coil sleeve and the plunger. A lot of times the sleeves get all mucked up and slow the motion and the plunger can get a mushrooming effect that can also bind its movement.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from dieseldogpi:

Don't use oil. The coil should go back without the help of oil. If it is working at all, then the coil itself should be fine, but you should check out the coil sleeve and the plunger. A lot of times the sleeves get all mucked up and slow the motion and the plunger can get a mushrooming effect that can also bind its movement.

So basically take the plunger out of the coil and clean it with isopropyl alcohol? I'll have to look up a diagram of the sleeve, plunger and coil to understand before I do it. This is a new area for me. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 9.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-thinking-ball-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.