image_1.jpg
image.jpg
Alt_Pinblades_SET_002_Preview.jpg
RIGHT_SIDE_MOCKUP__001.jpg
bop_left_side_trial_003.jpg
Bop_LEFT_Side_Blade_004.jpg
Alt_Pinblades_SET_001_Preview.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I Created a few sets of Side Blade art for my BOP, I have a background in amateur photoshoping arcade graphics and thought I'd try my hand at this, I know Licensed art is involved, but I don't plan to sell these to get the attention of the license holders

thoughts?

Alt_Pinblades_SET_001_Preview.jpgAlt_Pinblades_SET_001_Preview.jpg

Bop_LEFT_Side_Blade_004.jpgBop_LEFT_Side_Blade_004.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I'd like to see either set installed in an actual machine.

#3 8 years ago

Here's a mock up of the left side, to get an idea

bop_left_side_trial_003.jpgbop_left_side_trial_003.jpg

#4 8 years ago

I like the first set a lot better than the second, and that's because to me if you're going to add side art it really needs to compliment the playfield style of art (in my opinion). Some designs I see just don't match, and so I don't care for them. Your second one is too soft and airbrush in feeling, it just doesn't match the game art. The first one has the right graphic approach to feel like it belongs.

I normally don't comment on stuff like this, but since you asked my advice to is to take the first one as a great start, and simplify it. I would remove the drop shadow under the shuttle, it doesn't match the feel (again, too soft) and also doesn't make sense. A shuttle doesn't leave a shadow like that on a planet, so it doesn't feel right. Make the planet look like a toy and changes the scale of things.

Secondly, I'd actually lose the pinbot guy.Too busy, too much. I think the blades work better when they're simpler, let them be expansive and fill the space with some breathing room, it will make the game feel bigger.

Bonus? You lose a piece of copywritten art that Rick will yell at you about, and you can work on making them for other people if you cared to.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I like the first set a lot better than the second, and that's because to me if you're going to add side art it really needs to compliment the playfield style of art (in my opinion). Some designs I see just don't match, and so I don't care for them. Your second one is too soft and airbrush in feeling, it just doesn't match the game art. The first one has the right graphic approach to feel like it belongs.
I normally don't comment on stuff like this, but since you asked my advice to is to take the first one as a great start, and simplify it. I would remove the drop Shadow under the shuttle, it doesn't match the feel (again, too soft) and also doesn't make sense. A shuttle doesn't leave a Shadow like that on a planet, so it doesn't feel right. Make the planet look like a toy and changes the scale of things.
Secondly, I'd actually lose the pinbot guy.Too busy, too much. I think the blades work better when they're simpler, let them be expansive and fill the space with some breathing room, it will make the game feel bigger.
Bonus? You lose a piece of copywritten art that Rick will yell at you about, and you can work on making them for other people if you cared to.

Thanks Aurich! Point well taken

I made up the softer version for a few fellows that wanted a space theme, I went too soft with it, but it was mostly a copy and paste mockup for the idea

Here's a mock up of the Right Side

RIGHT_SIDE_MOCKUP__001.jpgRIGHT_SIDE_MOCKUP__001.jpg

#6 8 years ago

lookin' cool !

#7 8 years ago

Here's a new build, any interest?

I'm taking them to print this week, will be next week before I will have a trial print to test

Alt_Pinblades_SET_002_Preview.jpgAlt_Pinblades_SET_002_Preview.jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Here's a new build, any interest?
I'm taking them to print this week, will be next week before I will have a trial print to test

Alt_Pinblades_SET_002_Preview.jpg

The right side one needs something to fill the void on the shooter end. Will they be printing them with UV ink?

#9 8 years ago

I'll discuss UV inks with them tomorrow for sure, not sure what to put on the shooter end, I had a large starburst meteorite there, but I let it go. I'll give it some thought

#10 8 years ago

No one in my area prints with uv inks, so if anyone has a source, I'd be great-full to know...

I asked my print company to print off thick paper mock ups, so the colors are washed out because of the free quick and dirty prints they did for me...

A few adjustments that I'll make are:

- Saturn will be slightly smaller and not hiding behind plastics on the left blade

- the space station will be moved back and made smaller for better viewing on the left blade

- pinbot will not be present as to not seek attention of copyright, and be replaced by a large planet

- the cuts are very very close, a few minor fitting adjustments

- A decal for the area behind the playfield will be made... It will just have stars on it like the stars on the plastics

image.jpgimage.jpg
image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg
image_3.jpgimage_3.jpg
image_4.jpgimage_4.jpg
image_5.jpgimage_5.jpg
image_6.jpgimage_6.jpg

#11 8 years ago

If you can get an order in.... and the cost is cheap enough... I *might* consider one for my work's BOP which I maintain. It'd have to be very inexpensive as I'd be paying for it. I'd even consider "seconds" with a small blemish or two if cheap enough.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

If you can get an order in.... and the cost is cheap enough... I *might* consider one for my work's BOP which I maintain. It'd have to be very inexpensive as I'd be paying for it. I'd even consider "seconds" with a small blemish or two if cheap enough.

Alrighty, I'll let you know

#13 8 years ago

I really like the simplicity of the left side one with the galaxy. But just sharper and more clear.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

No one in my area prints with uv inks, so if anyone has a source, I'd be great-full to know...

Ask Pingraffix.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I normally don't comment on stuff like this, but since you asked my advice to is to take the first one as a great start, and simplify it. I would remove the drop Shadow under the shuttle, it doesn't match the feel (again, too soft) and also doesn't make sense. A shuttle doesn't leave a Shadow like that on a planet, so it doesn't feel right. Make the planet look like a toy and changes the scale of things.

Rick from Planetary Pinball currently has a licensing agreement with us at PinGraffix. So technically speaking any art that's being sold or distributed that was repurposed from any of the Bally/Williams catalog would be a copyright infringement. That is fo course if you're doing it without written consent.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

Rick from Planetary Pinball currently has a licensing agreement with us at PinGraffix. So technically speaking any art that's being sold or distributed that was repurposed from any of the Bally/Williams catalog would be a copyright infringement. That is fo course if you're doing it without written consent.

Exactly, that's why Chosen isn't going to use the picture of Pinbot, this will be all his own art. Can you print using uv ink?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

maybe if you came up with something better than your current design ...this wouldnt even be a topic

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

I emailed you to discuss this particular technicality as well as the possibility of uv ink and possibilities of you using my design, I don't plan to market them, but would like my design to award me and get recognition

I'm glad you have a licensing agreement with Rick. I admit I did use a few planets from the side of my bop, but it will take about 10 minutes to remove those and clone them if they're an issue... I will however print them and the pinbot for myself and my game.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

maybe if you came up with something better than your current design ...this wouldnt even be a topic

Ouch.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I emailed you to discuss this particular technicality as well as the possibility of uv ink and possibilities of you using my design, I don't plan to market them, but would like my design to award me and get recognition
I'm glad you have a licensing agreement with Rick. I admit I did use a few planets from the side of my bop, but it will take about 10 minutes to remove those and clone them if they're an issue... I will however print them and the pinbot for myself and my game.

#21 8 years ago

JGraf makes hands down the best pin blades and 10x the durabilty and quality of others. I have TOTAN Betas, BSD's and Monopoly sides and back drop and they are worth every penny and all look great. No offense to OP but his aren't better than JGraf's BOP's.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

JGraf makes hands down the best pin blades and 10x the durabilty and quality of others. I have TOTAN Betas, BSD's and Monopoly sides and back drop and they are worth every penny and all look great. No offense to OP but his aren't better than JGraf's BOP's.

This isn't a comparison to other blades thread

his bop blades are ok, if you like his, cool, go get them, I really like some of they're stuff and have purchased blades from them. I'd really like to make a deal with him. Maybe he can sell and distribute both.

One thing I don't understand. I posted pictures of prototypes on my machine to show what they will possibly look like. And have not been able to find pictures of Jose's installed on a bop... Anyone have pics? Post them on the bop non 2.0 club thread please.

#23 8 years ago

JGraf makes hands down the best pin blades and 10x the durabilty and quality of others

Holy-Fanboi-much?

I have some of his products... I like them... but he's coming off as a butt-hurt business owner which gives me pause.
If I were in his shoots... maybe I'd bitch to my friends - but not air the dirty laundry here.

#24 8 years ago

My comments were more directed ay Mollyspub not the OP. What dirty laundry. He is a business and is stating facts? I dint understand your comment??

#25 8 years ago

No offense to OP but his aren't better than JGraf's BOP's.

My comments were more directed ay Mollyspub not the OP.

ARE YOU SURE your comments weren't directed at the OP???????

#26 8 years ago

Do Williams (or SG or what they are called these days) even care about fan-made stuff like this, thats just generic planets for some sideart in a game they havent produced for years?

I know its the US and all with the trigger-happy lawsuits left and right, but come on.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from king-pin:

ARE YOU SURE your comments weren't directed at the OP???????

I didn't say not at all. I said "more towards" as less than all. Point being is Jgrafix rocks and Molly took a shot at him saying his BOP blades were less than desirable, I merely stated my opinion that I like JGraf's better than the OP's in the context of that dig. The OP's pinblades are 1,000,000 times better than anything I could create and I applaud his effort. As a BOP owner I would be happy to give suggestions but my opinion is no greater than any other man or women's on this site. So I apologize if I offended the OP or if I insulted him.

#28 8 years ago

I didn't say not at all. I said "more towards" as less than all. Point being is Jgrafix rocks and Molly took a shot at him saying his BOP blades were less than desirable, I merely stated my opinion that I like JGraf's better than the OP's in the context of that dig. The OP's pinblades are 1,000,000 times better than anything I could create and I applaud his effort. As a BOP owner I would be happy to give suggestions but my opinion is no greater than any other man or women's on this site. So I apologize if I offended the OP or if I insulted him.

Thank you for your apology and props... I'm not insulted, you're entitled to your opinion, I just wanted to keep this thread centered around my work on the graphics I spent 20+ hours on while my 2 & 4 year old were crawling on my back (yes I give my boys tons of attention, these graphics took a span of 3 weeks to get to this point)

I really hope Jose will allow me to work a deal with him, I'm not planning on starting a competing graphic business, I built these because I saw a need and I love working on something to solve a problem. I wasn't trying to make something better, but something I know I'd love to be a permanent part of my game.

If someone wants a set of these without uv ink printed on laminated stick on vinyl, pm me and we can work out something. I don't have prices yet, but I will soon

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thank you for your apology and props... I'm not insulted, you're entitled to your opinion, I just wanted to keep this thread centered around my work on the graphics I spent 20+ hours on while my 2 & 4 year old were crawling on my back (yes I give my boys tons of attention, these graphics took a span of 3 weeks to get to this point)
I really hope Jose will allow me to work a deal with him, I'm not planning on starting a competing graphic business, I built these because I saw a need and I love working on something to solve a problem. I wasn't trying to make something better, but something I know I'd love to be a permanent part of my game.
If someone wants a set of these without uv ink printed on laminated stick on vinyl, pm me and we can work out something. I don't have prices yet, but I will soon

You've put a lot of time into these and it shows, visually they are fun to look at with great content. I know I'll be getting a set, yours are sooooo much nicer then Pgraffix......but I wish you could get um done in uv though cuz my gr is bl.

#30 8 years ago

I like a lot of the PinBlades, I've bought several sets, and I'm happy with the quality. That said, I think the OP's blades match the artwork of the game a bit better than the one's from PinGraffix... just my own personal opinion. It would be great to see PinGraffix do a deal with the OP on this...

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from PNorth:

It would be great to see PinGraffix do a deal with the OP on this...

I don't see why they don't.

#32 8 years ago

I agree that the quality is there but this design looks like a 3rd grader designed it. Pingraffixs has some really great pinblades such as the coaster design for Funhouse and the ones for Whirlwind are perfect!

I think they really missed on this one with reproduction playfields and plastics making a second round and not to forget batch two of 2.0 due soon. The right design would have been a nice touch.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I agree that the quality is there but this design looks like a 3rd grader designed it. Pingraffixs has some really great pinblades such as the coaster design for Funhouse and the ones for Whirlwind are perfect!
I think they really missed on this one with reproduction playfields and plastics making a second round and not to forget batch two of 2.0 due soon. The right design would have been a nice touch.

I agree with that... Some of their designs compliment the existing art of the pin, and some are quite different. Twilight Zone is another of theirs where they granted too much artistic license. Again, IMHO.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've just been very busy trying to fulfill current orders. But to answer your question yes we can always work something out.

And for the rest of you who don't like my design, that's ok too. I don't always love everything I design and we're constantly making changes and revisions to artwork even months after it's been introduced to the public. You should see some of the garbage that hits the studio floor. We have three designers here at PinGraffix and I always encourage the the other two to come up with their own take on current designs. The more designs we have the better chance we have at creating something you guys will love.

As for how we approach designing is that we always try to incorporate the current art first (Bally/Williams) before we go off into creative lala land. We currently don't have a licensing agreement with JJP or Stern so anything we do for them has to be a generic design. Unfortunately there are a handful of games that we can't legally touch because it involves additional licensing agreements and fees, and to be honest it's just is not worth the headache and effort. I can give you some examples Monster Bash, Creature and Twilight Zone are all third party agreements with Rich at PP and Universal Studios. Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters takes it an additional step further because you also have to deal with Cassandra Peterson (Elvira). If we/I don't like the quality of the art on the game then we start moving away from them into more custom pieces. Twilight Zone is a perfect example of that. FYI I am working on a Scared Stiff design right now.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from jGraffix:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've just been very busy trying to fulfill current orders. But to answer your question yes we can always work something out.

That's great to hear. Can you print with florescent colors? Chosens blades would explode with color then.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's great to hear. Can you print with florescent colors? Chosens blades would explode with color then.

Yeah! Black light reacting ink is definitely a desire!

Quoted from jGraffix:

And for the rest of you who don't like my design, that's ok too. I don't always love everything I design and we're constantly making changes and revisions to artwork even months after it's been introduced to the public. You should see some of the garbage that hits the studio floor. We have three designers here at PinGraffix and I always encourage the the other two to come up with their own take on current designs. The more designs we have the better chance we have at creating something you guys will love.
As for how we approach designing is that we always try to incorporate the current art first (Bally/Williams) before we go off into creative lala land. We currently don't have a licensing agreement with JJP or Stern so anything we do for them has to be a generic design. Unfortunately there are a handful of games that we can't legally touch because it involves additional licensing agreements and fees, and to be honest it's just is not worth the headache and effort. I can give you some examples Monster Bash, Creature and Twilight Zone are all third party agreements with Rich at PP and Universal Studios. Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters takes it an additional step further because you also have to deal with Cassandra Peterson (Elvira). If we/I don't like the quality of the art on the game then we start moving away from them into more custom pieces. Twilight Zone is a perfect example of that. FYI I am working on a Scared Stiff design right now.

Just pm me and let's discuss
There's a few orders I'll get out soon because I have an obligation with my printer to do at least a few.

2 months later
#37 8 years ago

After a few months of waiting for some help to move forward in the UV printing process, none has stepped up to the plate, so If anyone wants a set, send me a PM and we can discuss options

I adjusted a few elements, and I think they look more aesthetic, I don't need to post pics, because they are minor details that I noticed that needed to be fixed and otherwise most would not see unless I pointed the adjustments out. I have removed the shooting star from the right panel, but added in a simple surprise easter egg.

again... please pm me if you have interest

2 months later
#38 7 years ago

Took forever... Another set to look at

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.99
$ 27.95
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-side-blade-graphics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.