Bride of Pinbot ROM Revision Differences

By schudel5

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find any real info on the ROM revision differences for BoP. Here's the situation:

I have a Bride running P-4. My son has a Bride running L-4. So for me it's easy to compare my game vs. his game. I believe the P is prototype revision and L is production. My prototype P-4 is missing all kinds of little speech and lighting effects especially at game over as compared to the L-4. It is also missing the moving heartbeat blip on the display as it displays just a flat line during metamorphosis.

My son's, running L-4, seems like everything is correct except when shooting up the left ramp to the mini playfield. The gate to the mini playfield will not close if it drops down the hole to the pops. Sometimes you have to hit that left ramp 6 times before it goes past the hole and down one of the two heartbeat ramp lanes. Once it hits one of the switches at the top of the heartbeat ramp the gate closes. Setting the mini playfield adjustment to easy or hard makes no difference. So I'm wondering if this is an issue in L-4?

So what would upgrading to L-6 fix and is it the recommended ROM? I'm not adding LEDs so don't need L-8.

#2 9 years ago

L8 also should fix the Billionaire bug. I can send it to you if you have someone who can burn it.

#3 9 years ago

Does L-8 have the billionaire bug or is that just L-7?

#4 9 years ago

L7. L8 is just what many people call L7 with the $B bug fix and possibly LED fix.

#5 9 years ago

L-8 has the Billionaire bug fix but not the LED fix. L-7 is the bugged release. Preferred versions are either L-6 or L-8. L-8 is not an officially sanctioned release.

viperrwk

#6 9 years ago

My L8 version has the LED patch installed also but many don't.

#7 9 years ago

The L-8 version on VPForums does not. This is the one that was fixed by Mr. Glee. Someone likely applied the patch to your version and did not update the version number, which is unfortunate - and why Rick has fits over the patching software...

viperrwk

8 months later
#8 9 years ago

Hi guys, I picked up a BOP a few months ago and it has L5 ROMs installed. Like the OP, I can't find info on the ROM differences. What am I missing by not having L6, or even L7 patched (L8)? Although I probably couldn't get L8 anyway because I don't have the capability to burn my own ROMs. Nothing is broke from what I can tell so if there isn't a need to upgrade to a higher revision ROM I won't. Just looking to see if I'm missing any gameplay changes or features, etc.

Right now, my Bride is fully LED'd (bought it that way) and I was wondering what the LED patch would do for me. I don't have any ghosting from what I can tell, but the helmet lights look kinda bad with the flickering they do because they don't dim like incandescents. I know Herg has made a GI OCD board, but this will not affect the helmet chase board so I was wondering if the LED patch would help lessen the flickering affect in the helmet?

#9 9 years ago

you likely have ghosting with l5, L7 sucks due to the billionaire bug, no clue on L8. I ran L6 (LED patched) until I put in 2.0.

#10 9 years ago

There's a guy in Canada that sells the ROM revision chips on eBay. Search ebay for 'Bride of Pinbot', and you'll find them right away. I've bought from him, and never had an issue.

#11 9 years ago

Will a LED patched ROM affect the use of the LED OCD board negatively?

#12 9 years ago

No. In fact the board makes the patch redundant. Plus the board gives you finer control over the insert lighting.

viperrwk

#13 9 years ago

Great, because I ordered a board today so no worries there. And it didn't sound like I'm missing any gameplay or callouts, etc running L5, so I guess I'm good.

#15 9 years ago

Just checked and I am running L-4 as well. If someone would not mind directing me on how to upgrade I would be most thankful...

#16 9 years ago

Just saw your links, ForceFlow. Thanks. I will check them out after work.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from pepermintswirl:

Just checked and I am running L-4 as well. If someone would not mind directing me on how to upgrade I would be most thankful...

I had P4 in mine and upgraded to L6. Seems as though every ROM revision has some inherent anomoly on this game. I don't run LEDs so don't care about L8.

Buy whichever ROM chip you want to upgrade to, from any of the usual suspects. Remove old chip, insert new chip (go by chip indent not sticker) into socket on CPU board. Turn game on. Reenter your adjustments and settings. High scores and initials will be lost.

2 months later
#18 8 years ago

Hi! I have a bride that I'm restoring and before I tore it apart I played it some to make sure everything worked. It did after some small soldering and so on. What I did notice however is that when I shoot the ball up the left ramp and onto the mini of there should be a little music jingle playing, that reminds of music from pinbot, but that particular jingle is gone on my game. Not sure what rom version I have since it's a long time ago. Just curious if anyone else hav this music piece missing? I had a theory it might be the switch to the mini pf not registering but in switch test it did register. Will investigate later when the machine is reassembled but would be interesting to hear if someone else have experienced this.

/andy

1 year later
#19 7 years ago

How can I buy a copy of a modified L-6 Rom? I have BOP and mine is on version 1, I have LEDs and am trying to purchase a rom but people only sell the official ones so my choices are L-6 without LED patch or L-7 which I do not want for obvious reasons.

#20 7 years ago

I think your options are to buy your own ROM burner or find a friend who has one and will create a ROM for you.

4 years later
#21 3 years ago

I have found that the following adjustment settings has been added to rom update L-7. And are not present in L-5 or earlier:
A1.29 GI power Saver
A1.30 GI Power save level
A1.31 Ticket
A1.32 No bonus flips
A1.33 Game re-start

These settings are not described in the manual at game release so must have been added later. I dont know I there is an service bulletin update describing them but people asking for if its worth updating to latest release perhaps these additional settings are a good reason.

1 year later
#22 1 year ago

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a BoP and have converted it to LEDs and its running L3 roms. When I visited eBay the seller stated the following

NOTE: This game ROM requires a 2Meg EPROM. To use a 2Meg EPROM
 in your game, make sure that your CPU board is jumpered
 correctly as follows:

W1 - in
  W2 - out

What exactly does this mean? I'm running a Rottendog CPU and wondering what adjustments need to be made. Ideally I'd like the L8 roms with LED patch but can't seem to find a source that has the software and can burn the roms for me.

ebay.com link: itm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
Decals
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-rom-revision-differences and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.