This summer I bought a Bride of Pinbot that was in kinda bad shape. Dirty and non-working. Ive been using this excellent forum for help during the process of fixing the machine. I've also been reading NJGecko's thread about his Pinbot restoration and it got me inspired to start a restoration thread myself =)
So, here it is! This is my first ever restoration so it will take time and there will probably be many strange behaviours from me or odd solutions but I hope someone will find it interesting anyway.
The story so far goes like this:
I picked up the machine this summer about three months ago. It did not work at that time since the wire harnesses had been cut. It seemed like someone had attempted to move it but the back box was to wide so they had to remove it. This theory I came up with since I have been there myself moving pinball machines. Its alway annoying to have to unscrew the back box hinges and turn the top to get it out through a doorway. If this was the case with this machine I dont know but whoever made the decision to cut the harnesses did not know what they were doing. It was not the guy I bought it from since hes a pinhead who knows a lot better!
Besides the cut harnesses there were some ICs missing on the power driver board, a hack with a jumper wire on the underside of the CPU-Board and of course a lot of dirt and dust all over the machine. The playfield though was kinda nice. It had some paint come of where the ball drops on to it at different places as well as some yellowing outside the mylar protection. I guess from either sun light or cigarette smoke or both.
Anyway I got the machine home and decided that the first thing to do was to make it work before doing the cleaning and replacing of parts. So I started with soldering the wire harnesses back together. It was a tedious process but yet kinda straight forward since all the wires are marked very well. I had some trouble at a few points where wires had the same colour but figured it out with some help from the pinside forum.