• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Studio_20150612_211445.jpg
IMG_0127.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I have fixed a couple of issues with my recently acquired Bride Of Pinbot game and I have another that is stumping me. I can not get the helmet lights to work. I have tried checking and reseating all related connectors. I understand that they controlled by a couple of solenoid transistors (25 & 26) and are routed through a separate chase light board under the playfield. I have studied the Operations Manual and found a couple of mistakes in the book including wire color and connector information. I have tried checking the voltages on the chase light board but I am not sure what values I should have specifically on the data port and clock pins. I am not having any other lighting problems. Thanks for your time.

#2 8 years ago

Forgive me if this is not correct but in first pic you can see where helmet plugs in under playfield. You probably already know that.
The second image and in particular the yellow circle is a single wire that has a stand alone connector. I'm not 100% certain but this single wire (again, not sure for certain) might also be connected to the helmet. As long as playfield is up, it's worth a shot to check it.
IMG_0127.JPGIMG_0127.JPG

Studio_20150612_211445.jpgStudio_20150612_211445.jpg

#3 8 years ago

I didn't know this connector was in the circuit I was working on. It is the general illumination 02 WHT-ORG wire for the helmet lights. I took it apart, inspected it, and reconnected it. The lights are still not working. Thanks for the info and great pics.

#4 8 years ago

I also noticed in your pictures there appears to be a stainless metal case around the head assembly on the bottom of the playfield. My machine doesn't have this on it.

#5 8 years ago

You bet. Bummer that didn't do it but at least one more thing that is not wrong

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from bradleehall:

I also noticed in your pictures there appears to be a stainless metal case around the head assembly on the bottom of the playfield. My machine doesn't have this on it.

Very common to find this missing. It has no active function. It's there to keep any wires from wrapping themselves around the head block as it rotates. Half the BOP machines out there are missing it cause the tech that last worked on the machine pulled it and left it off to make maintaining the game faster.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Very common to find this missing. It has no active function. It's there to keep any wires from wrapping themselves around the head block as it rotates. Half the BOP machines out there are missing it cause the tech that last worked on the machine pulled it and left it off to make maintaining the game faster.

It will also divert a ball to the scoop in the case of a malfunction that causes the head to somehow dump a ball into the cabinet.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

It will also divert a ball to the scoop in the case of a malfunction that causes the head to somehow dump a ball into the cabinet.

On one of our BOP machines we play tested the game with the pan removed. A couple of the shots to the small wheel scoop, the ball fell into the cabinet. That scoop has a side removed so balls that fall off the head get fed to the small wheel scoop and sent back into play. Without the pan there's nothing on one side and the ball can fall out.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

On one of our BOP machines we play tested the game with the pan removed. A couple of the shots to the small wheel scoop, the ball fell into the cabinet. That scoop has a side removed so balls that fall off the head get fed to the small wheel scoop and sent back into play. Without the pan there's nothing on one side and the ball can fall out.

Hmmmm. I've never had that happen. My game must be playing good then ....right?

1 month later
#10 8 years ago

I took a chance and purchased a used chase light board to try and fix the helmet lights. It didn't change anything. I wish I knew what voltages to look for to help isolate the problem. I have studied the operations manual and triple checked all of the connectors related to this circuit. I would love to get them working.

3 years later
#11 5 years ago

Thought I should post an update in case this could help someone else. I started working on this again and found a video of a guy showing the proper readings from the clock and data inputs to the chase light board using a logic probe. I bought a cheap probe and found that the power driver board wasn't putting out any signal. on J122. The other 2 wires from this connector control clockwise and counter clockwise information to the head motor relay board. I didn't even know the face was supposed to turn both ways. Lesson learned: if you are going to repair something you need to read the operations manual. After the third time through, I was more confident in trouble shooting and able to isolate circuits and components. I double checked the connector, pins, and power driver board at J122 and then I ordered a Rottendog replacement board. It wasn't cheap but it is was great to finally get it fixed. Now the helmet lights work and the head motor rotates in both directions. Thanks to everyone for the helpful information.

#12 5 years ago

Now that's long term troubleshooting. Nice work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 9.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-helmet-light-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.