Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zaza
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I recently acquired a Bride of Pinbot and aside from it killing the capacitors on the flipper switches, its been a blast to play.

Not long after I set the Bride up and started playing it, the left flipper stuck in the up position. I saw that the capacitors on both flipper switches had burn marks and the cap on the left switch was actually broken.

I went ahead and put in two new switches (the old ones had clearly been in there a long time) and put new capacitors on them also. Now a few days later, the left flipper is stuck up again. And the capacitor on that left flipper switch has burn marks on it again. The right switch/capacitor looks and works fine.

This capacitor is a .1UF 500V disc. I know some capacitors are directional, but I didn't see any markings to indicate that these had to be oriented a certain way. Could I have just put this one on backwards to cause it to fail prematurely? Or could there be something else causing the cap to burn?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Niterider:

Could I have just put this one on backwards to cause it to fail prematurely?

No.

Quoted from Niterider:

Or could there be something else causing the cap to burn?

Maybe. Or just a faulty cap.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.

Maybe. Or just a faulty cap.

Thanks, I've got a couple more caps on the way to try. Thought I'd ask in case something else could be going out or if there was something else I could check. I've only had to deal with my TZ and IJ over the years, and even though the Bride is an early WPC game, it still has the older style flippers. So a little more for me to learn.

1 month later
#4 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or just a faulty cap.

Well, either I'm extremely unlucky because I keep losing the caps on my left flipper switch or something else is wrong.
Again, just the left flipper button is losing its cap. The right button's cap was also replaced when I installed both new switches and its new cap is fine.

So what can be causing just the left side flipper button to be eating caps like chicklets?

#5 7 years ago

Come on, someone must have had this problem before, right?

Additional info, the powerdriver board in this machine is a Rottendog powerdriver board. The game plays perfectly, for a few hours, then the cap on the left flipper button burns out and the flipper just gets stuck up until I put another cap on. The right side flipper button doesn't have this issue.

#6 7 years ago

Rottendog and pre-fliptronic reminds me of a topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-cannon-problem-1 and start at post #30.

When diodes on flippercoil are missing or bad, voltage spikes can destroy the capacitor but also the optocoupler on powerdriverboard.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

Rottendog and pre-fliptronic reminds me of a topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/t2-cannon-problem-1 and start at post #30.
When diodes on flippercoil are missing or bad, voltage spikes can destroy the capacitor but also the optocoupler on powerdriverboard.

Thank you. I'll take a close look at the diodes on the left flipper.

#8 7 years ago

I found a diode that had broken a wire on the flipper coil. Soldered it back in place and replaced the cap on the switch again. Fingers crossed.

#9 7 years ago

Don't keep me in suspense!

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

Don't keep me in suspense!

Still going, the caps were going out within the first few hours of play so I think this problem is solved.

#11 7 years ago

Good to hear !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 27.95
$ 9.95
$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bride-of-pinbot-flipper-switch-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.