Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ttjjjj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi I'm wondering what is the best ROM to load into a BOP rebuild. I think L7 is the latest licensed release by Williams. But, I am reading that there are bugs with this version. The machine will have LEDs if that has anything to do with the ROM version (ghosting bugs?).
Thanks, TJJ

#2 4 years ago

Unfortunately they all have some weird issues. I originally had P-4 running, which I liked, but is missing some display animations (hearbeat) and sounds.

I installed L-6. Now if you end a game, with a ball locked on the face, the sounds cut off after game over. If you set the 1B shot in adjustments to 1% you get it almost every time the first time as an award. Tournament mode does nothing to help either. L-7 had some reset in multiplayer games if someone gets the 1B shot. L-8 fixes that bug and adds LED non ghosting support for all lamps except the helmet.

So L-8 is probably your best bet.

#3 4 years ago

I'm quite happy with L-6... I tried L-7 and I've got an L-8, but L-6 has been the most solid for me.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Unfortunately they all have some weird issues. I originally had P-4 running, which I liked, but is missing some display animations (hearbeat) and sounds.
I installed L-6. Now if you end a game, with a ball locked on the face, the sounds cut off after game over. If you set the 1B shot in adjustments to 1% you get it almost every time the first time as an award. Tournament mode does nothing to help either. L-7 had some reset in multiplayer games if someone gets the 1B shot. L-8 fixes that bug and adds LED non ghosting support for all lamps except the helmet.

I never heard of the 1% thing. I know there is a distinct setting for always have 1B be the first big wheel award. Maybe that was on and is the reason? Never use the tourney mode its broken beyond any usefulness. 3 ball MB happens even.

#5 4 years ago

The newest hack. What ever that is.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I never heard of the 1% thing. I know there is a distinct setting for always have 1B be the first big wheel award. Maybe that was on and is the reason? Never use the tourney mode its broken beyond any usefulness. 3 ball MB happens even.

You can set some of the 4th face awards anywhere from 1 to 99%. Unfortunately you can't turn them off. In a tournament I like to award 10M consistently. But the 1B seems like it's given out almost every time. So I set the 1B to 1 second so you can't collect.

I've never seen the give 1B the first time setting. I'll run through again but that one doesn't seem right. I know default 1B is set to 25%.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

You can set some of the 4th face awards anywhere from 1 to 99%. Unfortunately you can't turn them off. In a tournament I like to award 10M consistently. But the 1B seems like it's given out almost every time. So I set the 1B to 1 second so you can't collect.
I've never seen the give 1B the first time setting. I'll run through again but that one doesn't seem right. I know default 1B is set to 25%.

Crap I just checked and its not there. I could have sworn there was a setting for that. Def set the 1B to 1 second, that's what Ive done too.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I installed L-6. Now if you end a game, with a ball locked on the face, the sounds cut off after game over. L-8 fixes that bug and adds LED non ghosting support for all lamps except the helmet.

I'm running L-6 and have not seen that happen so something up with your setup, maybe what version sound ROM's you are running?

You can get L-6 with anti ghost patch as well.

#10 4 years ago

L6. Don't worry about ghosting patch, just get an LED OCD board and have your LEDs fade like incandescents. Such a little thing, but adds so much to the presentation.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

L6. Don't worry about ghosting patch, just get an LED OCD board and have your LEDs fade like incandescents. Such a little thing, but adds so much to the presentation.

Yeah but the ghosting rom is at most $20 if you can't burn it yourself, ocd is $150.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Yeah but the fishing rim at most $20 if you can't burn it yourself, ocd is $150

And worth every penny.

The ghosting patch does not fix the harsh on/off of LEDs because it can't change the circuitry of the machine. LED OCD board adds a fade on/fade off look to the inserts like an incandescent bulb would do. So not spending money on the ghost patch and saving money by not buying non-ghosting LEDs offsets a little of the extra cost. I just added an LED OCD recently and I was definitely reluctant to take the plunge, but now that I have, I'm very happy. That smoothing of the LEDs really adds to the lighting effects. I basically have all of the benefits of LEDs, while retaining the presentation I would have with incandescents.

I just posted a video yesterday of my pinball machines. You don't need to watch the whole video (24 minutes, I'm nuts) just jump to 5:18 to see BOP's inserts with the fade look. If I wasn't uploading a corrected version of the video I'd post a vid of just that part.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

And worth every penny.
The ghosting patch does not fix the harsh on/off of LEDs because it can't change the circuitry of the machine. LED OCD board adds a fade on/fade off look to the inserts like an incandescent bulb would do. So not spending money on the ghost patch and saving money by not buying non-ghosting LEDs offsets a little of the extra cost. I just added an LED OCD recently and I was definitely reluctant to take the plunge, but now that I have, I'm very happy. That smoothing of the LEDs really adds to the lighting effects. I basically have all of the benefits of LEDs, while retaining the presentation I would have with incandescents.
I just posted a video yesterday of my pinball machines. You don't need to watch the whole video (24 minutes, I'm nuts) just jump to 5:18 to see BOP's inserts with the fade look. If I wasn't uploading a corrected version of the video I'd post a vid of just that part.
» YouTube video

no doubt its a more original looking solution. I'm considering it for a few of my games. But the $130 difference is a lot to pay for just adding fade to the LED's.

#14 4 years ago

I agree that it's a big difference in price. But, to me, "just adding fade to the LEDs" really adds to the presentation of my game. Take Sorcerer for example. When the bonus is full, the bonus lights look like a ball with a trail bouncing back and forth with incandescents. You lose that trail with LEDs. That trail is part of the art design of the game and adds to the "cool" factor of the light show. With LEDs I'm adding "pop" to the inserts, bringing out the artwork by matching blues, greens with cool white, and red, oranges with warm white. I'm making a game like Demolition Man look more like a modern pin than a 20 year old one by using LEDs in the GI. But I'm also losing some of the intended presentation. Two steps forward, one step back. The OCD board eliminates that step back.

I look at it like I'm spending a little extra on a countertop with rounded edges, instead of sharp corners. The added fade is a more pleasant look to me.

The LED OCD board is like spending money on any other mod, we have to decide if what it brings to our game is worth it to us or not. I view it as an improvement, so it was worth the cost to me.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just illustrating my train of thought.

#15 4 years ago

I like the ocd stuff, like I said I'm looking to get a few for my games but the guy above seems happy with the leds as is and is just looking to eliminate the ghosting. If that's all he wants that's no reason to waste the extra 130

#16 4 years ago

George, never seen your collection. Very nice line up, that bride does look nice

#17 4 years ago

Thank you, Tim.

#18 4 years ago

Thx for all the replies! Very helpful. I'm leaning toward l6 since the multiplayer reset thing w l7 really seems like a turnoff. And l8 seems like its a hack? The ocd board seems sweet. Is it easy to install? Seems like lots of wiring if each led has to be lead back to this board?

#19 4 years ago

BTW what is led ghosting?

#20 4 years ago

Easy to install. Just a few connectors and a couple of provided wiring harnesses and you're done. Very detailed instructions. The board is made by a member here, "herg".

Ghosting is when the LED is very dimly lit when it should be off. With incandescents, there's a small voltage at the socket to keep them "warm" so they're ready to light when called for. The voltage isn't big enough to light the incandescent, but LEDs don't need much to light.

Non-ghosting LEDs add a resistor to keep them from lighting with this small voltage.

#21 4 years ago

Seeing ghosts...

https://vimeo.com/12823973

viperrwk

#22 4 years ago

where can i get the L-8 rom?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

where can i get the L-8 rom?

Someone would need to burn it for you - it is not an official release. Your licensed ROM sellers will not do it.

viperrwk

1 week later
#24 4 years ago

Thanks again all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
£ 79.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plainfield, IL
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Knoxville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside