(Topic ID: 298469)

Bricked my R&M... Anyone have a hard drive image?

By nd4spd

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4508D504-047D-43B7-96D2-728ED4E07400 (resized).jpeg
D317E47F-EB72-4E0A-A5B9-D7E32C717125 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nd4spd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I couldn't get the "reset high scores" to work (even after a restart) so I decided to do the most logical thing...(?) and install the R&M hard drive into my PC, then delete the partitions, thinking I would do a fresh install, like a JJP machine. I made a mistake. Needless to say Spooky update isn't a whole image like JJP. Spooky says I need to send them the hard drive, but I would like the game up and running sooner than a few weeks. Can anyone help? Maybe someone already took an image of their R&M hard drive? Much appreciated.

An image backup is a good thing to have anyways, if the hard drive fails, then you won't be relying on a manufacture to do a software repair.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

they should have an full image like stern does. But ship 2 ways??? They can't just ship an new one out? or let you download an image?
Under right to repair laws they really should.

I asked, spooky will not send me the image.

#26 2 years ago

UPDATE: I was able to repair my partitions via a Linux computer genius. I'm back and running! However, I did learn a few things:

1. Spooky has good, friendly support, and fast at responding but all they could offer is for me to send in my motherboard and hard drive to them, they would restore it and send it back to me.

2. Spooky (on R&M, don't know about other games) uses Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS) disk encryption. The encryption is between the motherboard and the hard drive. This means that if your hard drive OR motherboard fails, your games needs to be repaired by Spooky. I don't like this idea. With JJP, as long as your USB dongle is working, you can replace any computer component with easy and without any physical parts being sent back and forth across the country.

#27 2 years ago

I tried my using my friends hard drive from his R&M and it did not work, therefore, a backup image won't help unless the individual backs up their own actual hard drive and uses it for themselves. Oh yeah and the back up won't matter if their motherboard fails!

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Unless they are an operator with multiple titles on location I don't think the count is accurate since there are 4 LOTR and 4 TAF showing in their collection. Even without all the duplicate titles it's still an amazing collection and guess this drive issue falls into the 1st world problems category.

That's correct chooch. I'm an operator, I haven't updated my collection. I have 6 Addams. lol

Many of my games are on 24/7 and hardware failures happen. This is my concern.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

TMP keys?
MB UUID?

I believe they use Trusted Platform Module (TPM), but I’m not an expert.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 300.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nd4spd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bricked-my-rampmanyone-have-a-hard-drive-image?tu=nd4spd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.