(Topic ID: 298469)

Bricked my R&M... Anyone have a hard drive image?

By nd4spd

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4508D504-047D-43B7-96D2-728ED4E07400 (resized).jpeg
D317E47F-EB72-4E0A-A5B9-D7E32C717125 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joe_blasi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 2 years ago

they should have an full image like stern does. But ship 2 ways??? They can't just ship an new one out? or let you download an image?

Under right to repair laws they really should.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Does that count for Firmware IP?

Right to repair needs to let end users fix there own stuff with out needing to be relying on a manufacture

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from nd4spd:

I asked, spooky will not send me the image.

Well then maybe you should tell Louis Rossmann about that as this WHY WE NEED RIGHT TO REPAIR LAWS.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

No but you'll have to buy a new one pre-installed from Spooky then, you can't just buy an empty ssd and install it yourself (like you can with JJP).
Edit - just now read you 'they are no longer in business' part.
Yes, then you'd have to find another owner that wants to make an image of their harddisk for you.

Post the image online and Fight any DMCA action with an right to repair claim.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Serriously. Spooky has one of the best service departments, and great employees. Why go out of your way to try pissing them off?

but 2 way shipping for an HDD image is not good Customer Service

It took stern an long time form them to post the full images. Spooky and others can do the same.

JJP Did it right for an long time and they are PC based.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from nd4spd:

UPDATE: I was able to repair my partitions via a Linux computer genius. I'm back and running! However, I did learn a few things:
1. Spooky has good, friendly support, and fast at responding but all they could offer is for me to send in my motherboard and hard drive to them, they would restore it and send it back to me.
2. Spooky (on R&M, don't know about other games) uses Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS) disk encryption. The encryption is between the motherboard and the hard drive. This means that if your hard drive OR motherboard fails, your games needs to be repaired by Spooky. I don't like this idea. With JJP, as long as your USB dongle is working, you can replace any computer component with easy and without any physical parts being sent back and forth across the country.

the boot partition is likely not useing encryption.

But linking each disk to it's own MB is WORSE then pinball 2000 and that is very bad for an embedded system.
Let's say 5 years from the now that MB fails unlike JJP you can't get an new MB and just reuse the HDD.

You know APPLE does that BS with part locking and RIGHT TO REPAIR is about fixing stuff like this. I don't want to have to buy an HDD + MB + at an mark up just to repair something that I can just buy my own part.

We need RIGHT TO REPAIR laws so they can't use IP issues to force you to buy parts from them only or say sorry you need to buy an new device.

Also say with no restore image let's say the game is on line and something happens or say an very badly timed power outage messes up your OS install.

An MB locked restore is very odd in pinball.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Need to get into the bios somehow, boot into Linux on the game, image the disk there to remove the encryption

need to get the key and then you can add your own key to it.

also it does unlock the disk to boot up so if you can get root on it!

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

This is inaccurate, unless I grossly misunderstood what the guy who designed the setup told me.

TMP keys?

MB UUID?

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from nd4spd:

I believe they use Trusted Platform Module (TPM), but I’m not an expert.

Quoted from harryhoudini:

AFAIK LUKS is just another disk encryption scheme. I would be surprised if each game has a unique passphrase, likely the same encrypted drive image is just blasted on to a bunch of drives. I would also be surprised if there was any hardware interaction there at all, this is not how LUKS works again AFAIK. Why didn't the drive from a friend's game work.. that's an interesting question...

If they are useing keys in the MB TMP chip but the boot /boot needs to be unlocked also with root and the key from the system you may be able to add your own key (May not have auto unlock on boot) But if you can get an shell with root you should be able to copy out all the files.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’ll be curious if that works. Then owners can just keep an image backed up, that would be nice. Hopefully someone can test it.

But if it locked to the MB then when that MB fails need to buy an new MB and disk from the manufacturer?

Also it's not even if Spooky is actually no longer around. But it may be well this worked with MB's back then but hardware changes may it so that it does not work to well with newer MB's.

And It better work with UEFI and not the old bios mode that may not be in newer boards years from now.

Some one may just put it in an VM like what was done with pinball 2000 down the road and good luck trying some DMCA BS to kill QEMU.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from spooky_dj:

For what it's worth, if spooky does go under, I'll do whatever I *legally* can to make sure all your machines don't become paperweights. Understand that the two reasons we encrypt images are A: liability, and B: preventing access to the raw IP given to us by the license holders. Much of the spooky crew is all for openness and right to repair, and in a perfect world (where one did not have to worry about lawsuits) encryption wouldn't need to be used. With that said, freely providing recovery images for future releases is (while I'm not guaranteeing anything) something I will be looking into.

right to repair can't be stopped with A and B. Apple is useing the same BS to stop 3rd party repair and if an law is passed that may not be allowed to be used any more.

John Deere uses A and B to force farmers into DEALER ONLY REAPIR and SERVICE

Also STERN and JJP have FULL recovery images for there games. An encrypted disk image is all some needs to fix there game if the disk fails and with it being PC based I hope it's like JJP and not pinball 2000 only has drivers for that one chip set.

LOOK nucore tried that IP BS when took QEMU and added there stuff to it + an added dongle and on some hacked it to remove the dongle (still needed the pinball hardware) they sued. Now the case did not go to court but that case had big issues with GPL and now NUCORE is free.

also with stern for spike it was after some posted an base image that was able to restore from an update file they posted full SD card images.

Other arcade games that are PC based shipped with full restore images on CD / USB.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yes; but. There’s always a but.
The asrock boards we ended up using do not auto-scan for the EFI file to set it up in the UEFI properly. That has to be done with something like efibootmgr — but there’s nothing tying a drive to a motherboard.

that should really be in an document some where.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
$ 300.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joe_blasi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bricked-my-rampmanyone-have-a-hard-drive-image?tu=joe_blasi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.