(Topic ID: 298469)

Bricked my R&M... Anyone have a hard drive image?

By nd4spd

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4508D504-047D-43B7-96D2-728ED4E07400 (resized).jpeg
D317E47F-EB72-4E0A-A5B9-D7E32C717125 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm just now interested in if it would work so I'll dig out my drive caddy and make an image. No idea how long it will take and to upload but I'd love to know if it works now.

A drive image would likely be fine - *IF* you have the same CPU (Odroid H2 - early units / Asrock) as the other user. However, they will be very large as it has to be a ‘dd’ image of the entire drive.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from nd4spd:

The encryption is between the motherboard and the hard drive.

This is inaccurate, unless I grossly misunderstood what the guy who designed the setup told me.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

TMP keys?
MB UUID?

Things I’m not going to discuss for $400 next please, Alex.

#44 2 years ago

Time to do some sketchy shit... doo dah... doo dah

Or don’t, and just leave well enough alone. No need for all this paranoid hand wringing until Spooky is actually no longer around.

Sheesh.

#47 2 years ago

That's certainly an option. Of course there is no harm in trying to backup and protect your own investments.

1. Make a byte copy of your drive.
2. Wipe hands on pants

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

But if it locked to the MB

It’s not Joe. Please stop repeating this.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

wasn't tied to the motherboard.

It’s not!

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

so I can replace the motherboard with the same make/model without having to replace the ssd?

Yes; but. There’s always a but.

The asrock boards we ended up using do not auto-scan for the EFI file to set it up in the UEFI properly. That has to be done with something like efibootmgr — but there’s nothing tying a drive to a motherboard.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Does this need to be done with the earlier Odroid boards? Do they auto-scan?

The odrioid board does UEFI better from what I understand and should pick up the drive on it’s own. It’s the asrock board that’s weird. That’s why the OP didn’t have instant success trying another drive, the UEFI didn’t recognize it. But if the EFI setup was done, it would have worked fine.

#72 2 years ago

Just to put a bow on this conversation:

1. The drive is encrypted, of course, but not tied to any particular motherboard.
2. A drive image from the Odroid would not work on an Asrock mother board (NVME vs SSD).
3. If you replace your drive with a byte copy for any reason, you'll have to adjust the UEFI so it knows how to boot.

I wrote some directions a while ago for "if your bios battery gets replaced" and it actually includes directions/tools for fixing the UEFI for both board types, I had forgotten that we did this: https://soldmy.org/pin/rm/battery-replacement

*AND* Chris, the system engineer on this setup, is going to look into creating a new 'imaging' tool for setting up new drives that is safe for us to distribute. The tool Spooky currently uses to set up new drives isn't hardened for public use. If Chris comes up with a working solution for that, we'll have new utility, much smaller than a full drive image, that you just put on a USB stick to set up a replacement drive.

3 weeks later
#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Was a new 'imaging' tool ever created and released? I had to replace a MB and am unable to get the computer to boot now.

If you replaced it with the same kind and still have your drive in tact, follow the directions here: https://soldmy.org/pin/rm/battery-replacement - it's basically the same situation. If you got a different kind of MB, then those directions may not help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Trade
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bricked-my-rampmanyone-have-a-hard-drive-image?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.