(Topic ID: 222350)

Brian Eddy’s First Stern Pinball Machine?

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

70A8746B-93AF-4DB2-9060-CBA3C2FE307A (resized).png
    2B1DA6E7-76BF-41AF-BA44-52C7B3231526 (resized).png
    C4C7477A-4267-40CD-AC20-C5569B65881B (resized).png
    B9B554C7-1B2B-4FCA-A1E3-CEA0308E8255 (resized).png
    D00CD197-8E2A-4E1A-9DE2-ABAD8A7C4E55.gif
    48C8DB27-B9BC-4F26-996B-3EEF07E570DA.gif
    423E9C2D-57B8-4FDB-B8F5-CCFAC3749CD5.gif
    giphy.gif
    64babb76-dadf-4ade-ad6c-843f7cb8bb05_screenshot (resized).jpg
    2019-07-14 19_14_33-brian eddy - Facebook Search (resized).png
    7374BB2B-2995-4038-BE4E-6A4340FD701D.gif
    DF890DFE-74EF-46D0-BFDF-136D6E6FA91A.gif
    854296b9-bbd6-4b5e-b3ff-09582279f8fe (resized).jpg
    Jaws Pinball (resized).png
    pg43Xbv.gif
    Jaws (resized).jpg
    There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

As a huge Brian Eddy fan, I’m itching to find out what his debut Stern machine will be in 2019 (theme / layout). I’ve put a freeze on current purchases just so I can have the funds ready for Brian’s machine.
    Surely it will be a winner!
    Anyone else in the same boat? Any speculations (on theme / layout etc)?

#2 5 years ago

Speculation? I stone cold guarantee that it will be kick ass to flip! His pins rock!

#3 5 years ago

My guess is an original theme although Steve Ritchie might be working on an original themed pin as well. Hmmm. I guess I really have no idea then, but looking forward to seeing what it is.

#5 5 years ago

Bald Win (2019) by Stern

Programming: Lyman Sheats

#6 5 years ago

He was saying it was going to be Space Hooker(s) or something like that, but that's probably a red herring.

d69ecaad7d641359a87477e39288550c (resized).jpgd69ecaad7d641359a87477e39288550c (resized).jpg
    #7 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

He was saying it was going to be Space Hooker(s) or something like that, but that's probably a red herring. [quoted image]

Maybe another "alien poker?" then.
    See what I did there...

#8 5 years ago

I'm hoping it's Munsters!

#9 5 years ago

Fun fact: The eddy current sensor was named after Brian Eddy.

#10 5 years ago

He's making the Attack of the Medieval Shadow!

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Are you sure they’re not named after the “eddy currents” that they measure?*

*not trying to be snarky, it’s an honest question

#12 5 years ago

My guess is there will be a diverter somewhere, ramp located or otherwise.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

not trying to be snarky, it’s an honest question

Uh yeah thats correct Eddy Currents!

#14 5 years ago

If it plays and shots like his other games it will be fantastic!

#15 5 years ago

Let’s go Beatlejuice or classic Superman

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

classic Superman

Now we're really going back...
    George-Reeves (resized).jpgGeorge-Reeves (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now we're really going back...

Whoa! Not that far back.
    Let’s go with this Superman.

E2788A14-A17B-4499-97C4-142DB7E255A7 (resized).jpegE2788A14-A17B-4499-97C4-142DB7E255A7 (resized).jpeg
    #18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Let’s go Beatlejuice or classic Superman

I think superman would suite him well

#19 5 years ago

It will most likely have a very interactive feature of banging on some wall. Seriously, the only game he worked on that didn't have anything like that was Pool Sharks.

Black Rose- Sink Ships
    The Shadow- inner Sanctum shot
    Attack from Mars- Destroy alien ships
    MM- Destroy castles

The pressure is on...

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I'm hoping it's Munsters!

That would be John Borg. He told a friend if mine at TPF that he feels it is best game yet. He is very excited about it.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

That would be John Borg. He told a friend if mine at TPF that he feels it is best game yet. He is very excited about it.

The next game is always the best.... lol
    After all they are in the business to sell pins ....

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

The next game is always the best.... lol
    After all they are in the business to sell pins ....

That is a Gary Stern line right there. His favorite game is the one currently on the line.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Are you sure they’re not named after the “eddy currents” that they measure?*
    *not trying to be snarky, it’s an honest question

I'm not so sure of that, it just sounds ridiculous.

#24 5 years ago

Inline drop targets please!!

#25 5 years ago

I'm not so sure of that, it just sounds ridiculous

Eddy sensors have been around a long time. Your learn about them in college electronics. Although I am sure Mr. Eddy would like to credit for them because of his repeated use.

#26 5 years ago

I'm not so sure of that, it just sounds ridiculous.

I’m genuinely unsure if you’re being serious or sarcastic. Either way, I find it unlikely that those particular sensors are named after Brian Eddy since eddy sensors have been used pretty extensively in machinery well before B/W used them, and the name to describe eddy currents stems from fluid eddies in fluid dynamics.

Alas, it doesn’t matter. I’m very excited to see his new game. I just hope that we as a community don’t overhype it so much as to loft the potential design to impossibly high standards.

#27 5 years ago

When you learn about eddy sensors in electronics class there is always a picture of Brian Eddy

#28 5 years ago

What about "Reed Switches"

#29 5 years ago

I hear this is available...

godzilla-1954-main-review (resized).jpggodzilla-1954-main-review (resized).jpg
    #30 5 years ago

I know some are joking but might as well post this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current

Origin of term
    The term eddy current comes from analogous currents seen in water in fluid dynamics, causing localised areas of turbulence known as eddies giving rise to persistent vortices. Somewhat analogously, eddy currents can take time to build up and can persist for very short times in conductors due to their inductance.

History
    The first person to observe eddy currents was François Arago (1786–1853), the 25th Prime Minister of France, who was also a mathematician, physicist and astronomer. In 1824 he observed what has been called rotatory magnetism, and that most conductive bodies could be magnetized; these discoveries were completed and explained by Michael Faraday (1791–1867).

In 1834, Heinrich Lenz stated Lenz's law, which says that the direction of induced current flow in an object will be such that its magnetic field will oppose the change of magnetic flux that caused the current flow. Eddy currents produce a secondary field that cancels a part of the external field and causes some of the external flux to avoid the conductor.

French physicist Léon Foucault (1819–1868) is credited with having discovered eddy currents. In September, 1855, he discovered that the force required for the rotation of a copper disc becomes greater when it is made to rotate with its rim between the poles of a magnet, the disc at the same time becoming heated by the eddy current induced in the metal. The first use of eddy current for non-destructive testing occurred in 1879 when David E. Hughes used the principles to conduct metallurgical sorting tests.

#31 5 years ago

What licenses past Deadpool, Munsters and Beatles do Stern have lined up?

I have seen Superman 78 and Jurassic World mentioned here on pinside, think Brian could make a killer Jurassic World pin.

But he’s made amazing games based on solo characters IJ and Shadow so could easily knock Superman out the park, Stern hiring him is genuinely exciting.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

What licenses past Deadpool, Munsters and Beatles do Stern have lined up?
    I have seen Superman 78 and Jurassic World mentioned here on pinside, think Brian could make a killer Jurassic World pin.
    But he’s made amazing games based on solo characters IJ and Shadow so could easily knock Superman out the park, Stern hiring him is genuinely exciting.

They also now have Godzilla.

#33 5 years ago

When you learn about eddy sensors in electronics class there is always a picture of Brian Eddy

Think we should hear from Mr. Eddy Himself on the matter..... Paging Mr. Eddy.... Paging Mr. Bryan Eddy....

#34 5 years ago

I heard he's been fishing off of Amity Island. Probably research for his pin.

LTG : )

#35 5 years ago

Thinking it will be Pulp Fiction.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

What about "Reed Switches"

And "Eddy Strokeswitch"

#37 5 years ago

Truly surprising that it has taken this long for any pinball company to have hired this guy. I mean he only designed 3 pins, and 2 of them are currently rated 1 and 2 on the top 100, and have been remade by a new pinball company. It's about time.

#38 5 years ago

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brian helps Gomez out a little on Deadpool. I remember hearing a presentation by Gomez a few years back, where he stated that he helped Brian out on the castle mech design for MM. Those two designers work well together and I’m looking forward to any colaberation in the future.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Lloyd don’t tease things like this if there is no truth in it that would be cruel, so I have one question for you am I gonna need a bigger boat/gamesroom?

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I heard he's been spending weekends at the Cranston estate in NYC ...

#41 5 years ago

Oh, that's nothing. Listen closely when coins hit the coin box in a Brian Eddy game. It's Eddy Money!

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Truly surprising that it has taken this long for any pinball company to have hired this guy. I mean he only designed 3 pins, and 2 of them are currently rated 1 and 2 on the top 100, and have been remade by a new pinball company. It's about time.

I think Brian designed at least 5 tables for bally williams, BR, IJ, TS, AFM, MM.

Also believe he wrote software or DMD animations for other units.

No matter though as that was ages ago, I look forward to implementing his ideas with modern LCD screens and more in depth rules.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I think Brian designed at least 5 tables for bally williams, BR, IJ, TS, AFM, MM.
    Also believe he wrote software or DMD animations for other units.
    No matter though as that was ages ago, I look forward to implementing his ideas with modern LCD screens and more in depth rules.

I meant just as the credited lead designer. Black Rose was Trudeau and Indiana Jones was Mark Ritchie. I know that pinball is a team thing, and lots of people work on games. But being the lead designer is like being the director of a movie. And your right, I think that he was definitely a part of software for some other games too. I just can't remember them offhand. But I would be excited to see a new pin with him as the lead designer.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Is this a true story or just an old fisherman’s tale?

#45 5 years ago

Certainly a possibility!

Jaws (resized).jpgJaws (resized).jpg
    4 weeks later
    #46 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

I meant just as the credited lead designer. Black Rose was Trudeau and Indiana Jones was Mark Ritchie. I know that pinball is a team thing, and lots of people work on games. But being the lead designer is like being the director of a movie. And your right, I think that he was definitely a part of software for some other games too. I just can't remember them offhand. But I would be excited to see a new pin with him as the lead designer.

I am almost positive I was told this as a kid and I could be mistaken but Brian was the only person to design, engineer software and do the art approvals for an entire game which I believe was Indiana Jones. Could be wrong. Steve Richie would know. I'll have to ask at expo.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I am almost positive I was told this as a kid and I could be mistaken but Brian was the only person to design, engineer software and do the art approvals for an entire game which I believe was Indiana Jones. Could be wrong. Steve Richie would know. I'll have to ask at expo.

All correct, except that game was The Shadow!

Also IJ was a Mark Ritchie joint, wonder what Steve would think about you attributing his brother’s best-known work to that young whipper snapper Eddy. Maybe he’d find it hilarious.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

All correct, except that game was The Shadow!

Ok that could be. Think it was 94. I have old pictures at the factory from when I was a kid until high school age. I forget these things but you are likely correct. Thanks for posting. =)

#49 5 years ago

Man I am really excited about this game. I can't wait to see what it is.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Ok that could be. Think it was 94. I have old pictures at the factory from when I was a kid until high school age. I forget these things but you are likely correct. Thanks for posting. =)

Yeah, regardless of the title it's a pretty stellar accomplishment, especially given what an excellent game The Shadow turned out to be. I'm super-excited to see what's next from Eddy, and I hope Stern gives him creative freedom and lets him contribute fully on both the design and coding fronts.

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brian-eddys-first-stern-pinball-machine?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.