• The Shadow 40 votes
    36%
  • Attack From Mars 29 votes
    26%
  • Medieval Madness 43 votes
    38%

(112 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

We all know the legendary playfield designer, Brian Eddy (or at least you should if you're on Pinside), so I'd like to ask, which of his three playfield designs (Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, or The Shadow) do you like the most?

#2 10 years ago

I would definitely say TS. The battlefield is something the others don't have, and it's much faster and more challenging (As I've seen so far). It also has more flippers and balls than the other.

#3 10 years ago

Three real different layouts and like them all. But if I had to it would be MM, AFM girlfriends favorite, and Shadow which is fun once you get the hang of this unique layout.

#4 10 years ago

We just had this exact thread maybe a month ago. Too lazy to dig it up, but I voted Shadow, even though I love the other two, just because it's the only one Brian Eddy did both the playfield design and the software, which I think makes it pretty cool. Plus it's really like nothing else. The other two are kings of the fan IMHO, not a slight towards either, but they're still fans, and so not so unique in that sense.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We just had this exact thread maybe a month ago. Too lazy to dig it up, but I voted Shadow, even though I love the other two, just because it's the only one Brian Eddy did both the playfield design and the software, which I think makes it pretty cool. Plus it's really like nothing else. The other two are kings of the fan IMHO, not a slight towards either, but they're still fans, and so not so unique in that sense.

There was a similar post? I never noticed Whoops.

#6 10 years ago

I'll go with Shadow. The most challenging of the three IMOEO.

#7 10 years ago

AFM keeps me coming back for another game moreso than the others. TS is one of those great in spite of it's theme pins though, but just a couple notches below AFM IMO. MM is somewhere in between the two.

#8 10 years ago

I'll take MM. Pretty much my favorite pin. But AFM isn't too far behind.

Shadow is a pretty good pin but not nearly as fun as either AFM or MM.

#9 10 years ago

Shadow all the way!!!!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Shadow all the way!!!!

I guess that means you want to keep it.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess that means you want to keep it.

Yes, but if I ever get into financial trouble, I let you know ASAP!!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Yes, but if I ever get into financial trouble, I let you know ASAP!!

Like if a nice Indy shows up?

#13 10 years ago

no brainer - MM.

#14 10 years ago

I voted for the Shadow, with AFM close behind!

#15 10 years ago

I believe ya should add Indiana Jones as he did a lot if not most of the tricks and shit designed in it.

#16 10 years ago

The big question is why is MM a 10K+ game, AFM a 6K+ game, and TS a 2K+ game? Production numbers were all within 1000 units and they're all pinball hobbiest favs these days.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The big question is why is MM a 10K+ game, AFM a 6K+ game, and TS a 2K+ game?

Shadow is too difficult for the novice, and not everyone wants Alec Baldwin in their livingroom.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shadow is too difficult for the novice, and not everyone wants Alec Baldwin in their livingroom.

First point taken... However, 4-8K is an awfully expensive reason to dislike a translite.

#19 10 years ago

Yeah, Shadow is hard and the phurba ramps are confusing to a newb. AFM and MM are accessible. That makes a big difference on location, and that's what set the stage for MM to be so crazy in price. It earned, people wanted it, they became harder to get even though demand was up, there you go.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

First point taken... However, 4-8K is an awfully expensive reason to dislike a translite.

OK, I'll add that this game takes work to play, and a lot of people just don't like to work that hard.

#21 10 years ago

Looks like The Shadow's popularity is increasing quite nicely from a couple months ago:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-brian-eddys-best-game

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

usandthem said:
The big question is why is MM a 10K+ game, AFM a 6K+ game, and TS a 2K+ game?

Hard to believe that Alec Baldwin can hurt the value of pinball machine so much , but the evidence sure seems to place blame with him . Imagine how cheap you could get a shadow that was signed by Alec Baldwin ? $500 ? Maybe , if it's worth anything at all .

#23 10 years ago

I really don't mind the translite, never did. It still looks better than some of the alternates I've seen. The speaker panel could use some work, though.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Hard to believe that Alec Baldwin can hurt the value of pinball machine so much , but the evidence sure seems to place blame with him . Imagine how cheap you could get a Shadow that was signed by Alec Baldwin ? $500 ? Maybe , if it's worth anything at all .

It's obviously more than the translite. Call outs on Shadow are not nearly as good as either MM or AFM. I'd say that the theme itself has a hell of a lot more to do with the value of Shadow being so much less than AFM or MM than the translite (which I actually don't think is as bad as many make it out to be...it's better than STTNG's).

#25 10 years ago

All three are great but AFM is #1 for me. I am a big fan of cheesy alien and space themes. AFM is about as good as it gets.

#26 10 years ago

Shadow; The poor man's TZ is clearly the best.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Shadow; The poor man's TZ is clearly the best.

I always thought of TZ as a poor man's pin.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

trilogybeer said:
Hard to believe that Alec Baldwin can hurt the value of pinball machine so much , but the evidence sure seems to place blame with him . Imagine how cheap you could get a Shadow that was signed by Alec Baldwin ? $500 ? Maybe , if it's worth anything at all .

It's obviously more than the translite. Call outs on Shadow are not nearly as good as either MM or AFM. I'd say that the theme itself has a hell of a lot more to do with the value of Shadow being so much less than AFM or MM than the translite (which I actually don't think is as bad as many make it out to be...it's better than STTNG's).

Yeah . It was a joke obviously not funny at all . Don't worry I won't quit my day job .

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Call outs on Shadow not being as good is debatable.
I would say that there are many more call outs on AFM and MM, than on Shadow. But the call outs that are there on Shadow are fantastic.
Different call outs for the combos (I especially like the 7 way), the call outs before and after the final battle are awesome, as are the Shadow jackpot and super jackpot voice work. The "Noooo" when you break through the back of the battlefield is great, really I can't think of any bad call outs in the game.
AFM and MM's call outs definitely give them a lot of personality, but Shadow is no slouch in this area either.

I think that Shadow is not as valuable as the other two because it broke a lot on location and was so difficult for casual players that it did not ever enjoy the hype that MM and AFM got.
And it has an ugly translite.

1 month later
#30 10 years ago

Somebody break the tie between MM and TS!!!

#31 10 years ago

I guess I have to say MM. I've owned the other 2 & didn't really care for either one. I'd rather have IJ than any of these.

#32 10 years ago

I actually like AFM over MM. MM has more bells and whistles but AFM just seems more "pure" to me; both great of course. Shadow has grown on me...taken 3 years but better late than never

#33 10 years ago

Yeah, if price was just not in the equation, either for buying or selling, I'd take AFM over MM. For the same reason too, I totally hear you about the "pure" part. It's just a great example of what simple concept executed really well can do.

#34 10 years ago

AFM then a tie for MM & TS. Let's agree he does great work and has had some monster hits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brian-eddys-designs-your-favorites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.