Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 254 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by KHL
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mnstr (resized).jpg
    4584A229-19AC-47F4-9A6A-3591DC98E0EE (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180317-215623 (resized).png
    2018031814072583256 (resized).png
    03CFCEA3-79B8-4594-A7FF-23A96889EA7C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 6 years ago

When Pat Lawlor returned after his long sabbatical from pinball, I was skeptical he could live up to everyone's expectations. Even though some folks are still on-the-fence regarding the theme, it's arguably one of the most impressive games ever made. The flow, rules, and tech in Dialed In are awesome...it's the total package. Even though Pat lead the effort, JJP deserves credit for giving Pat the environment/freedom to do great work.

I think Brian has the same opportunity, however I'm a bit more skeptical that Stern will provide the same opportunities as JJP. We will see...definitely nice to see Brian return to pinball.

snaroff

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I like this post - rings a lot of truth. One thing left out is the out the door build and feel of the final product. Lawlor's JJP game gets that extra shine from its build and feel... Stern has been rapidly going in the opposite direction. GB is a case and point: unique and interesting design that lacks the end polish (and definitely had build issues) to make it a great pinball experience.
    I'm skeptical that any great work will get that extra kick in the pants it deserves.

Yep. I think JJP still has room to grow to nail build quality (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialing-in-dialed-in-le-96), however they nailed the important stuff. No doubt. After Dialing In my Dialed In, the game shoots fast & furious.

The other JJP design point that I love (and this comes from Jack directly), is designing a game that appeals to both casual & serious players. That's a tough task, and they nailed in for DI. From my perspective, the degree of difficulty is just perfect...with plenty of software nobs to help compensate if necessary.

By contrast, Star Wars is really only for very serious players. Sure, a casual player can flip the ball for awhile, however the rules and brutal speed make it frustrating. I appreciate Star Wars and admire what SR and DS achieved, but it's a ball buster for sure.

snaroff

#117 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

It might sound like sacrilege, but close the outlane posts in and SW becomes only a slight drain monster. Basically I don't see it as a cheat because the game plays like a normal/fast/hard game once you do it. That one little thing makes SW an awesome game and enjoyable by everybody because of the theme, butter smooth flowing layout and the absolutely amazing software. On the other hand DI to me will never be enjoyable because of the horrendous theme. I'm also not a fan of the PL cookie cutter layouts from the last 20 years. DI to me shoots about the same as RCT, RBION or Monopoly would with a 26 inch monitor and spiffy software and without a decent theme.

Hey John,

I did close the outlanes and it helped, but it's still a super hard game (for me). I agree the software is amazing, but I'm not sure it's fun. Some really subtle/ornate use of timers. Can't imagine playing it without hearing it (in an arcade, for example I really have a love/hate with Star Wars. Love SR's work, so it isn't going anywhere. One day I'm sure I'll learn to universally love it...or not?

DI's theme isn't horrendous! It's a Simcity vibe and all the modes are cool/fun. The only other Lawlor game I've owned is TZ...love it. It shoots nothing like DI.
    Talk about butter flow...nothing more buttery than DI...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

snaroff

#122 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That's kinda modern pinball from my perspective. Why TNA has been such a breath of fresh air.

Agreed, but not all modern pinball suffers from this. The Star Wars ruleset is the most dramatic example "rules gone wild".

For me, pins like Paragon/Centaur/Fathom provide that same breath of fresh air from the tech/complexity of "modern" pinball. I'm sure the TNA lighting/audio really spices things up, which is why I'd love to own one eventually. As you know, they are tough to get at the moment...

snaroff

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Anyway, I still think home pinball is a tough sell, not enough quality built product(Stern) and hard to get pinball service/support. This explosive growth has to be from new Routes, and these new guys Better hope so, because no way us home buyers can support all these companies.

Pinball service has always been an issue for home buyers, yet the home market is thriving. No doubt there is a limit to how many companies/pins the market can support...but that limit hasn't been reached yet.

Stern still builds a quality product, though they've had speed bumps over the years and quality isn't what it use to be. Nevertheless, these machines are over engineered for home use. If they are properly cared for, they are usually very reliable (once you get past the NIB punch list...).

snaroff

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I'm really hoping Brian designs another game similar to AFM and MM....both games have great flow, fun call outs, great bash toys, incredible ramps, fast, fun, and the rules are easy to understand. I think modern games have gotten a little out of hand with the complex rules.

Yep, and a side benefit of reigning in the rules is shipping complete rules in a more timely fashion. More complexity using == more time.

I'm not hoping for another AFM/MM clone. One thing most Stern games lack is humor. My hope is Eddy brings us some humor...! Miss me...ha/ha!

snaroff

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That's fine, enjoy it. I don't want people to be unhappy or disappointed in their purchases. I just wish that for a theme near and dear to my heart like Star Wars that it got the world under glass adventure it deserved.

I agree the "static world under glass" is unimpressive, however the "dynamic world under glass" is much cooler.

Most glaring example is the pathetic Tie Fighter toy/spring...kind of sad!

OTOH, the hyperdrive is awesome...playing hyperdrive MB with multiple balls flying around while you play a 3rd ball on the PF is just incredible. Puts a huge smile on my face! The lighting and choreography is also pretty stunning.

snaroff

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brian-eddy-designing-for-stern?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.