Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 254 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by KHL
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mnstr (resized).jpg
    4584A229-19AC-47F4-9A6A-3591DC98E0EE (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180317-215623 (resized).png
    2018031814072583256 (resized).png
    03CFCEA3-79B8-4594-A7FF-23A96889EA7C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

All this competition is great for pinball, exciting times in the hobby right now

Maybe. I can't help but think the market isn't big enough to sustain all of this, the excitement may turn into some deathwatching too. Who knows, not like any of us have access to numbers, but the prices keep going up, new companies keep appearing, and everyone I know is out of space for games. I know, we have a stupid bubble thread every other month, but is this all really sustainable?

Brian Eddy is one of my all time favs, I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don't see why Stern would have any interest in these kinds of fantasy nostalgia sequels involving veteran designers

I don't understand why there's even interest here. Are we really so bankrupt when it comes to ideas that all we can hope for is a sequel to an old game?

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

the software is amazing, but I'm not sure it's fun

That's kinda modern pinball from my perspective. Why TNA has been such a breath of fresh air.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

That being said theres not much to it, and after several plays gets a bit boring

I mean, you can't argue with opinion, what you feel is yours to feel. But my take as an owner? Nah. My friends who play it, the other owners I know? Nah.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think Stern is doing quite well competing with TNA already. They have TWD, MET, GOT, BM66, KISS, AS, GB, GOTG, SW etc. I would say they are competing quite well with TNA.

They're doing fine I'm sure. But they haven't made a game since Metallica that I've had any interest in buying (to be fair I bought Star Trek, didn't last, nothing since, sold it for an ACDC, that I sold for TNA). I wouldn't say they're actually competing with TNA, they don't offer anything remotely like it, they're just way bigger than Spooky and doing their dominant market thing.

I'm sure they'll get by without me as a buyer, I can't speak for how many other feel the same.

Personally I'd be pretty stoked if TNA actually invited competition. More good games! A retro Stern with a modern upgrade could be pretty awesome.

#156 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Didn’t they try that? It was called Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Melons! It wasn’t awesome.

Not even vaguely relevant to TNA, no. Why would you even compare them? Because they both don't have ramps?

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I am not knocking TNA at all and im sure its a fun game but you can buy alot of nice Stern Pro's for like 800 less dollars that imo has way more to offer than TNA does.

What does more to offer mean? More bash toys? Who cares. New Sterns aren't compelling, to me, at all. Not because I'm a Stern hater, because they're making really boring games now. Titles like Star Wars are total turnoffs for me.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think it would be pretty interesting also but at a price of say 4500 and not 6k.

Why? No seriously, this no ramps thing has me really puzzled, do you think ramps cost $1500? Do you have any idea how many mechs TNA has compared to a cheaped out Stern Pro?

Quoted from shovelhed:

remember there is no bad pinball machine

Nonsense. Just because a pinball exists doesn't make it good.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm glad ur loving ur TNA and its a fun multiplayer pinball machine but to call Stern games boring is foolish, and sorry but SWpro kicks TNA ass all day every day. Oh Yeah.

TNA is fun as a single player machine. It's exactly the game that pinball has been missing, utterly brilliant design, first game in years I've been excited for.

Star Wars is a soulless piece of disappointment manifest as a pinball. It's the pinnacle of modern Stern games. Slap a license on it, put in some sound clips, come up with a bunch of dumb math rules, and recycle a bunch of layouts into something numbingly boring. What a giant let down that title was. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, it sucked when I realized the game was so unfun.

I wouldn't trade my TNA for a Star Wars LE with cash on top, because even though I'd just sell it and make a profit I'd have to wait another 6 months to replace my TNA, and I'd rather have it over the cash.

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

It sounds like you’re burned out on modern pinball in general (licensed theme or not)

I am, but licenses are definitely a huge part of it. So. Boring. It's like having your food pre-chewed, there's no mystery or interest. Closest thing we get to original are band pins, and that's tricky since there's so much turn on/off emotion with bands (hope Iron Maiden brings back the spark Metallica had). I know a little bit about licensed pin development now, it's a crutch at best, a stone around your neck at worst, that's how I feel about it.

and are enjoying the indie feeling Spooky provides

It's not so much "indie" as it is "actually being creative" and doing something new. I give credit to JJP for trying with Dialed In, was just a swing and a miss for me overall. Just too much of a feeling of old men trying to do what they think kids like. And the price of course, pass on that. But people seem to like it, and I'm really happy they took the chance, even if it isn't for me.

I know you found SW a letdown aesthetically and that you’re particularly attuned to that stuff. But I find it surprising that anyone that enjoys modern pinball can’t at least appreciate the multiplier switching and TIE Fighter whack-a-mole of the center button.

I hate the TIE whacking, it's the opposite of interesting pinball to me. The math rules are boring, they can't fix the snooze fan layout, nothing about that combination is fun to me. We've seen it all before, it's dull. Steve Ritchie is a pinball god, he could never make a game I like again and I would still always think he's one of the greats, but Star Wars isn't anything special.

To bring this sorta back on topic, the basic fan was done to perfection by Brian Eddy already, far as I'm concerned. Original themes too.

There’s no accounting for taste, of course, so hopefully Spooky keeps making games you like, or you find other ways to keep having fun with the hobby.

It's all personal. People can downvote me or whatever, who cares, I don't have to like the games they own. If you dismiss TNA as "simple" then you don't think about pinball on the same level I do, that's all. Spooky has a long waiting list, it's a hit by their standards and mine, I'm not worried about it.

Quoted from dzoomer:

Wow, total relentless bashing of a pin and hyperbole, just because it is/plays different from what you like; and without even the slightest acknowledgement of the other side of the coin (that other people prefer different styles of play and pins).

Do I really have to write "in my opinion" after every sentence? Like what you want. I think Star Wars sucks. In my opinion.

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

You just seem particularly agitated about pinball machines you’re not into these days, vs. the tone of some of your posts in the past on the subject, which were certainly critical but felt less like you were taking Stern’s design decisions personaly.

This is true. I dunno, I'm just agitated in general these days.

I have no hate for Stern, lots of great people there, I'm just tired of games that feel like they're being made because they needed another pin for the line. Get a license, slap it on some ramps and shots, boom. That's an exaggeration, even boring pinball is a lot of work, but it *feels* like it.

I'd rather just play an old game than something new and soulless. Hope the rumor that Ritchie is doing an unlicensed game is true.

So like I said, I hope you continue to find things in the pinball world that work for you, even if new Stern and JJP machines aren’t doing it anymore. I enjoy your posts on design and other matters and it would be a shame if you burn out on pinball.

I respect what JJP is doing, but the price is just ridiculous, not paying that kind of cash for a damn pinball.

TNA is the first game in ages that excites me. Anyone remember this old thread I started?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-its-time-to-build-a-simpler-pin

Still feel the same way. Turns out $6k is the price point, but Scott and Charlie did everything they could to keep the vision intact at that cost, I can't complain. It's at the upper end, but I'll pay it if i want it, unlike the $8500+ stuff.

Brian Eddy is amazing. Shadow is one of my all time favs, same with AFM, and no one needs to tout MM. I'd just hate to see him become a cog in a pump out games machine. Here's hoping.

#190 6 years ago
    Quoted from HPR:

Star Wars is 1000% better and fun pinball than TNA in my opinion.

That's fine, enjoy it. I don't want people to be unhappy or disappointed in their purchases. I just wish that for a theme near and dear to my heart like Star Wars that it got the world under glass adventure it deserved.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brian-eddy-designing-for-stern?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.