Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 254 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by KHL
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mnstr (resized).jpg
    4584A229-19AC-47F4-9A6A-3591DC98E0EE (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20180317-215623 (resized).png
    2018031814072583256 (resized).png
    03CFCEA3-79B8-4594-A7FF-23A96889EA7C (resized).jpeg
    There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe. I can't help but think the market isn't big enough to sustain all of this, the excitement may turn into some deathwatching too. Who knows, not like any of us have access to numbers, but the prices keep going up, new companies keep appearing, and everyone I know is out of space for games. I know, we have a stupid bubble thread every other month, but is this all really sustainable?
    Brian Eddy is one of my all time favs, I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

To me the tell is when you look at the new vendors getting into the hobby... they are not coming in with two or three products anymore... they are coming with dozens... and lots of inventory. That takes signficant sales. These guys arent folding... they are expanding.

ASP keeps growing across the board. The demand is out there... and not just in speculation buyers. Everywhere you look you see people landing their first game...

The growth is real.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Isn't Brian also a programmer? Isn't that what Stern really needs these days?

Programmer who later got to lead his own game projects. Dunno if they expect him to carry both bags

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Programmer who later got to lead his own game projects. Dunno if they expect him to carry both bags

He did both on the shadow, and I like that layout better than MM and AFM

#54 6 years ago

Pinball seems to be doing very well in 2018. I can’t wait to see Brian’s first pin with stern. I’ve owned Medieval Madness and currently own the shadow. Hopefully stern lets him come up with something amazing like JJP did with Pat Lawlor and Dialed In.

#55 6 years ago

As a younger person who has been in the hobby for about 7 years now, it is really amazing to me the change that has happened over that time. Right after the recession, where pinball almost died, you saw Jersey Jack arrive... very similarly to how in mid 80's Data East arrived right after pinball almost died in 1983-1985. As everyone knows pinball rose to the highest popularity of all time in 1992. At that time you saw a couple of new pinball companies show up, like Alvin G. and a couple of smaller European companies, and right now we are seeing an explosion in the number of pinball companies being started. We also saw at that time pinball being very popular with the general public, with lots of licensed themes and tons of people playing pinball. I feel that this is very similar to what is going on right now but we have not reached the climax of it yet. Its crazy to me how popular pinball is right now. Many people around my age(21) love playing pinball, all of my coworkers love going to downtown pinball bar and in the past 2 years 3 or 3 new local pinball locations opened up with 10+ well maintained machines. As a part time employee of a semi-local pinball business I can really see firsthand how insanely popular it is! All in all, it seems like this is the cycle for pinball. It happened in the late 70's early 80's and then in the early 90's. Its taken longer this time, but it seems to be happening again.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Hopefully the complaints of Aerosmith being a KISS clone and Guardians being a Metallica clone will be a thing of the past, with more development time for each designer.

Cracks me right up. Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness, you see any similarities?

Fact of the matter, when game designers experience something that works and sells, they want to lean on it for future designs. You feel pride in a great idea, feature, concept etc. You want to see it out there.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Cracks me right up. Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness, you see any similarities?
    Fact of the matter, when game designers experience something that works and sells, they want to lean on it for future designs. You feel pride in a great idea, feature, concept etc. You want to see it out there.

Have you played The Shadow? Brian Eddy was far from a one-trick pony. He designed and/or coded some of the greats, can’t wait to see what he’s got left in the tank.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Have you played The Shadow? Brian Eddy was far from a one-trick pony. He designed and/or coded some of the greats, can’t wait to see what he’s got left in the tank.

I imagine he has at least a few tricks left in the bag since his pin design career was cut short.

#60 6 years ago

Oh. My point was, solely, that obvious heritage between pinball machines is not a "Stern is cheap" thing. It has always been like that. For a reason.

#61 6 years ago

Wish he worked for JJP, but then he'd probably get stuck with a shit license/theme.

So which is better?

JJP with more BOM and crap license,

or

Stern with killer license and 2 ramps.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Wish he worked for JJP, but then he'd probably get stuck with a shit license/theme.
    So which is better?
    JJP with more BOM and crap license,
    or
    Stern with killer license and 2 ramps.

JJP only has one dud theme: DI. For $8k+ people don’t want an original theme featuring Momjeans McEighties.

#63 6 years ago

AFM only has 2 ramps. As does MM.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but around the time Eddy started designing games for B/W, they too were really cutting back costs. Look at Scared Stiff or MB. Very simple, yet highly sought after.

I’d rather see him work with quality source material, or original themes.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I’m not disagreeing with you, but around the time Eddy started designing games for B/W, they too were really cutting back costs. Look at Scared Stiff or MB. Very simple...

Those games make a new Stern look like a zizzle as far as toys and quality goes.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

AFM only has 2 ramps.

This statement is untrue by 50%.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

This statement is untrue by 50%.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but as far as I recall, AFM has the left “giant lobster” ramp, and the right “cow” ramp. Unless you’re counting the lock diverter, but that’s not really it’s own “complete” ramp.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Those games make a new Stern look like a zizzle as far as toys and quality goes.

Maybe quality, but MB or SS aren’t any more “complex” than say, Star Trek. They just have really lush sound and art packages. Something that (imho) Stern lacks in.

I’m just saying, AFM is a surprisingly simple game that gets by on a fantastic IP and rules. Complexity doesn’t always equal a better gaming experience.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I’m just saying, AFM is a surprisingly simple game that gets by on a fantastic IP and rules. Complexity doesn’t always equal a better gaming experience.

It depends on the audience. A far worse playing Star Wars with a ton more crap all over the place would have gone over much better on Pinside.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Maybe I’m mistaken, but as far as I recall, AFM has the left “giant lobster” ramp, and the right “cow” ramp. Unless you’re counting the lock diverter, but that’s not really it’s own “complete” ramp.

Attack from Mars has a center ramp.

If you only count ramp returns/ball guides, you'll have a pretty hard time finding many games with >2 ramps.

I can't believe we're even debating this.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

He did both on the shadow, and I like that layout better than MM and AFM

Oh come on you are now putting Shadow ahead of MM? You may want to find a local MM and put a few quarters in it!

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from ttown:

Oh come on you are now putting Shadow ahead of MM? You may want to find a local MM and put a few quarters in it!

Why must his opinion match yours?

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

AFM only has 2 ramps. As does MM.
    I’m not disagreeing with you, but around the time Eddy started designing games for B/W, they too were really cutting back costs. Look at Scared Stiff or MB. Very simple, yet highly sought after.
    I’d rather see him work with quality source material, or original themes.

AFM has 3 ramps. The left and right of course, and the ball lock shot either locks a ball, or goes up the ramp and around, depending on the diverter.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

growing the business and being more competitive and offering us consumers more for what we pay!

Only one of these two will happen.

Quoted from ttown:

When you're talking pure design? Absolutely. The upper playfield on Shadow is great. The inner loop is great. The mode start can be a tough shot. Ramp diverters are great. MM is the most basic fan layout ever, BUT great code, sound, and dots kind of make you forget all of that. The only strong mechanical/design features on it are the trolls and the castle that falls apart.. everything else is REALLY vanilla. It's successful for the same reason that AfM is: Great theme and the art and sound to support it. Shadow, design wise, is far better than either.

#73 6 years ago

I think this is great news for Pinball. I own MM, AFM, and TS. I'm really looking forward to what he's going to do.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I can't believe we're even debating this.

Yeesh... tough crowd! Simmah down now, Stevevt! I concede on that technicality. That tiny diverter ramp is tucked away so well, it’s easy to overlook. I never really considered it “it’s own” ramp, but you guys have me convinced.

Moving on, I’d be curious to see what types of games Eddy would bring to the table. 2/3 of his own designs are non-licensed. Seeing that the market can sustain new non licensed games, however unlikely it would be, I’d like to see something original from him.

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Why must his opinion match yours?

Just a good buddy I like poking fun at. He still claims Taxi was the best pin ever made! Lol

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I think this is great news for Pinball. I own MM, AFM, and TS. I'm really looking forward to what he's going to do.

I agree this is great news for Pinball. Next important topic where are we on that new Elvira?

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The flipper "gap" left by Trudeau?
    Don't forget, Stern and every other pinball manufacturer just got a huge tax cut for 2018.
    Time to deploy to those funds into growing the business and being more competitive and offering us consumers more for what we pay!

But the tax cut means Armageddon, didn't you hear?

#79 6 years ago

Press release from Stern: http://www.sternpinball.com/community/accomplished-game-designer-brian-eddy-joins-stern-pinballs-game-design-studio

LOL @ "lifestyle entertainment brand"

"Stern Pinball, Inc., the world’s oldest and largest maker of arcade-quality pinball machines, today announced the hiring of Brian Eddy in the role of Senior Game Designer. Brian is best known for the design of two of the most iconic games in the history of pinball, “Attack From Mars” and “Medieval Madness”.

Brian brings a unique and diverse experience to Stern Pinball. He started his career as a game programmer prior to focusing on game design. Over the course of his career Brian has worked on games for a variety of platforms and markets. Under the Midway Games brand, Brian developed coin-operated video games such as “Artic Thunder” and modern-day console games for the Xbox and PlayStation. Most recently, Brian led a studio at Zynga that designed Facebook and mobile social media games.

“Brian is an incredibly talented designer with strong creative leadership skills. He has had consistent success in a variety of diverse entertainment design environments. We are very excited to add his talents to our studio as we continue to grow our unique lifestyle entertainment brand,” said George Gomez, EVP and Chief Creative Officer."

#80 6 years ago

Brian Eddy has a historically great track record for making some the best pins. He really has a great mind for pinball but was cut way too short. This can only be a great thing for Stern and PinHeads.

#81 6 years ago

Great pickup for Stern. Brian Eddy is a legend, even though he has only designed a few games. But what games they are! Can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.

#82 6 years ago

Only two games ???

#83 6 years ago

Any chance of AFM 2?

I know RFM was done but talking about a proper sequel to AFM?

Or guessing there would be PPS restrictions?

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Any chance of AFM 2?
    I know RFM was done but talking about a proper sequel to AFM?
    Or guessing there would be PPS restrictions?

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago

I just don't see why Stern would have any interest in these kinds of fantasy nostalgia sequels involving veteran designers - they've shown zero interest in this in the past. The closest they've done is T3, and at least that was based on a new movie.

Releasing Mars Attacks or MAdness in Medivial Times really does nothing for Stern except provide free advertising for PPS games. They can do just as well with a completely new original theme or more of the same when it comes to licensing.

This AFM 2 stuff is strictly Fan fic.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don't see why Stern would have any interest in these kinds of fantasy nostalgia sequels involving veteran designers

I don't understand why there's even interest here. Are we really so bankrupt when it comes to ideas that all we can hope for is a sequel to an old game?

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Are we really so bankrupt when it comes to ideas that all we can hope for is a sequel to an old game?

I don't even understand how that's an actual question to Pinsiders.

#88 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't understand why there's even interest here. Are we really so bankrupt when it comes to ideas that all we can hope for is a sequel to an old game?

It’s working for the movie industry...

#89 6 years ago

Will he do Elvira?

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Quoted from fosaisu:

Both points are true.

#91 6 years ago

Welcome back Brian Eddy. MM/MMR is a fantastic machine.

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just don't see why Stern would have any interest in these kinds of fantasy nostalgia sequels involving veteran designers - they've shown zero interest in this in the past. The closest they've done is T3, and at least that was based on a new movie.
    Releasing Mars Attacks or MAdness in Medivial Times really does nothing for Stern except provide free advertising for PPS games. They can do just as well with a completely new original theme or more of the same when it comes to licensing.
    This AFM 2 stuff is strictly Fan fic.

Hard to imagine they'd try to license MM or AFM from PPS, or that PPS would grant that license to Stern if they asked. That's about as likely as Stern suddenly getting interested in unlicensed themes. The smart money's on them putting Mr. Eddy to work on their next licensed theme. All good with me, license may restrain the art package but it's not likely to restrict his game design or coding which is what we're all excited to see.

That said, I'm holding out for The Shadow 2 with new Baldwin callouts.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Hard to imagine they'd try to license MM or AFM from PPS, or that PPS would grant that license to Stern if they asked. That's about as likely as Stern suddenly getting interested in unlicensed themes. The smart money's on them putting Mr. Eddy to work on their next licensed theme. All good with me, license may restrain the art package but it's not likely to restrict his game design or coding which is what we're all excited to see.

I guess he does The Beatles or Elvira.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I guess he does The Beatles or Elvira.

I think Elvira is a Dennis Nordman game like Woah Nellie.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You mean like BK3000?!

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Afm and MM are non licenced game's.
    So he can make a Martian Attack or a Mediëval castle or something whitout having licence problems.

#97 6 years ago

Elvira playfield design is already done and complete by Dennis Nordman and will be a modern game executed by Stern. Most probably in the pro/pre/le setup. Just waiting for code. This is confirmed by Stern.

In the meantime at Stern.. 'so we hired Brian Eddy'... "Please order some round star burst inserts... orange, red, yellow... 50000 of each'

#98 6 years ago

Awesome news about Brian joining the team !

So Cool

Wishing Brian and the engineering team to really engage Spike 2,3,4 ? to ensure reliability and support.

To me this would be highest priority.

The cool thing with so many awesome designers/coders at team Stern now some serious milestones are achievable !

Go hard Stern

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Afm and MM are non licenced game's.
    So he can make a Martian Attack or a Mediëval castle or something whitout having licence problems.

The original did not need a license, but I would think any “sequel” where you want to re-use some artwork or call outs would probably need a Williams or Midway license.

Sure a “new” original medieval or space theme could be done without license...

#100 6 years ago

watch out, Attack from Medieval Madness will be out in 2019!

or Attack from Medieval Mars

There are 254 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brian-eddy-designing-for-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.