Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

923B8B6A-0587-4543-B0C8-37D790115CE4 (resized).jpeg
rednekk homebrew HERMS (resized).png
MO-Mosaic (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Who here brews beer? I have been doing it for the last 20 years, and love talking about it.

#2 2 years ago

guilty as charged

all-grain brewer here. I utilize a home hacked HERMS system for mashing in a 20g tun, have a 6' chest freezer with temp control and a heat wrap to adjust temps during fermentation and aging. I gave bottling a try on my first couple batches, and quickly moved to kegging

I mostly brew non-hazy IPAs, IIPAs, Stouts, Imp Stouts, and RISs, but am looking forward to giving Lagers a shot once I get setup in the new home and have room for a fridge dedicated to lagering.

#3 2 years ago

I have been a very inconsistent home brewer for about 10 years. It is fun for me to pick it up when the mood strikes. Over the years I have upgraded various equipment and am at the point where I have a keezer and can use it for lagering and kegging rather than bottling. That said, I have always done mini-mash kits from austin homebrew supply for simplicity sake, but I am interested in switching to all grain at some point. I often refer to many online resources when I have questions, so it will be nice if this thread takes off and there are more "expert tips." What are yall brewing this year? My go to is brown or amber ales when I'm getting back into it.

#4 2 years ago

I've been home brewing the last few years. I have a RoboBrew BrewZilla V3 35L that I use for all grain brewing. Currently have a Marris Otter & Mosaic smash beer made with a kviek yeast and a Mango sour experiment I made to try to play around with the Philly Sour strain of yeast.

#5 2 years ago

MO + Mosaic is one of my absolute fave combos!

For those who all-grain, here's a recipe I developed and tweaked to my personal taste's perfection

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Imperial Flagship #A07
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.013
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
IBU: 50
Color: 5.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 11 @ 68F
Tasting Notes: Juicy and complex hops with a perfect malt background. Abundant hop aroma and flavor, but bitterness is soft and supple for 50 IBUs. A MO/Mosaic SMaSH that has exceeded my expectations. Perfect for early summer consumption IMO

60 min boil, 5 gallon batch
Brui'n Water profile: well water adjusted to 140, 18, 26, 255, 48, 87 for 425 hardness and 72 Alkalinity
152F mash with an adjusted 5.2 pH

13.5# Maris Otter
0.5oz Mosaic (12.7%) in first wort
0.5oz Mosaic at 15 min
1.5oz after FO at 180F for 30 min whirlpool
Flagship Imperial yeast

ferment 4 days at 64F, then 11 days at 68F
rack to secondary
1.5oz Mosaic dry hop 4 days
cold crash to 35F for 3 days, keg, and force CO2

1.070 OG
1.013 FG
6.3% ABV

Juicy, slightly hazy, and light mouth feel for the amount of grain used. Bitterness is supple for 50 IBUs, and probably due to the variety and whirlpool addition.

Originally intended to clarify further with gelatin, but this goes fast and I'm usually out so can't wait for the added clarification step. The few times I have clarified further, it's been a gorgeous vivid gold. Apologies for not having an image without condensation on the glass
MO-Mosaic (resized).pngMO-Mosaic (resized).png

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Rodent:

MO + Mosaic is one of my absolute fave combos!
For those who all-grain, here's a recipe I developed and tweaked to my personal taste's perfection

[quoted image]

Mine is similar but I brew it as a pale ale so my ABV is a point lower. I go with 11lbs vs 13.5lbs of MO. The Loki yeast makes this one fun. You can ferment it out at 90F and you get some really cool fruit notes that work so well with Mosaic. Ferment it in the low 70's and it's brews really clean like a Chico strain.

Title: Mosaic Otter SMaSH

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.1 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.35%
IBU (tinseth): 43.12
SRM (morey): 4.12
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - Maris Otter pale (100%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 19.5
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 23.62
1.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 152 F, Amount: 4.48 gal
2) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min
3) Infusion, Temp: 170 F, Mash Out
4) Batch Sparge, Temp: F, Amount: 3.5 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.7 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 5 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A43 Loki
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 80%
Flocculation: Medium High
Optimum Temp: 60 - 100 F
Fermentation Temp: 72 F ***I play with this a lot. The hotter it gets, the fruitier the notes***
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: co2
Amount: 7.69 psi
CO2 Level: 2.25 Volumes

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The Loki yeast makes this one fun. You can ferment it out at 90F and you get some really cool fruit notes that work so well with Mosaic.

Wild stuff, I wouldn't have thought you could get away with fermenting an ale yeast at those temps. Must wrap up fermentation in only a day or two -- do you let it sit for a while after, or are you fermenter-to-keg in a week with this one?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

Who here brews beer? I have been doing it for the last 20 years, and love talking about it.

I don't but I'm local and like drinking it. maybe we can be buddies lol

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Wild stuff, I wouldn't have thought you could get away with fermenting an ale yeast at those temps. Must wrap up fermentation in only a day or two -- do you let it sit for a while after, or are you fermenter-to-keg in a week with this one?

You could turn one around in a week, and I know people who have. I usually let it sit a bit longer, and let the dry hopping really do its thing.

There is a great video from Basic Brewing on fermenting hot with one of the Kviek strains

#10 2 years ago

I love this thread! My neighbor and I grew beer together. I'll be following

#11 2 years ago

Here's my rednekk HERMS system, tossed together utilizing

rednekk homebrew HERMS (resized).pngrednekk homebrew HERMS (resized).png

- a pot that was not currently being used in the kitchen
- a $30 high temp pump from my LHBS
- hi temp silicone tubing
- a $35 SS wort chiller coil sourced on eBay
- a candy thermometer in the HERMS heating pot to measure water temp

I control temp by adjusting the burner on the stove, which heats the water in the pot, which transfers to the wort that is being recirculated thru the wort chiller tube, and back into the insulated mash tun.

It's a super simple system that works very well as proven by multiple brewing sessions. Probably overly complex for many, but I utilize this to raise the mash temps without the need to add hot water during the process.

Adding water isn't such a big deal on your typical Lager, Ale, IPA, or similar type of brew, but I do a lot of Imperial IPAs and Imperial Stouts and this helps reduce the amount of boil-off I need to do after transferring into the boil kettle. The last Imp Stout I made had just a bit over 9.5 gallons that boiled off down to the 6ish gallons that hit the fermenter at the correct OG. I prefer not to utilize DME, so this is how I've addressed my need for the higher OGs where mashing efficiencies fall off significantly.

#12 2 years ago

I actually got Anvil to send me a small all in one system for free. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I don't but I'm local and like drinking it. maybe we can be buddies lol

If you have a decent sized game room, I would love to bring some beer and play pinball.

#14 2 years ago

I love to talk beer!
Homebrewer for 12+ years. A homebrew friend and I opened our own brewery in May of 2019. 3bbl system. Electrically fired. We are only open on the weekends, but it has been a crazy 2.5 years. Way busier than anticipated. Had to expand parking.
My current homebrew system is two kegs on turkey fryers and a cooler mash tun. I'm in the process of building a new house, and in that, I will have a homebrew system that is electric.
Cheers!

#15 2 years ago

I have been brewing for 12 years. I am an all grain brewer. I use an electric HERMs system. I brew lots of different types but, perfer stouts and potters. Here is shot of my setup.
923B8B6A-0587-4543-B0C8-37D790115CE4 (resized).jpeg923B8B6A-0587-4543-B0C8-37D790115CE4 (resized).jpeg

You can see a bigger picture in post 16360 in the “Let's see pics of game rooms!l thread

#16 2 years ago

I haven’t had a chance to brew in the last two years but I had been brewing beer for about 20 years up to that point. Mostly like to make stouts, but have made many different styles over the years. Grew my own hops for a while too.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/brewing-beer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.