5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Shado1w
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

235410.jpg
    235409.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Super-Bands are difficult to install. However, I was able to easily install Super-Bands tonight by remembering some science. I brewed a nice cup of Super-Bands tea.

Boil about 1 cup of water. Then, put the Super-Bands into a cup, then pour the boiling water over them, until all of the Super-Bands you need for your game are fully underwater. Stir to be sure. Let this "tea" steep for about 5 minutes.

Have a towel nearby. Then, use a spoon or tongs to lift the Super-Bands out of the hot water and onto the towel. Quickly dry the Super-Bands. They should be very hot to the touch, at the limit of as hot as you can tolerate, but hopefully you won't need to hold them for long. Hopefully they will be very hot, and the hotter they are, the more they will stretch and be easier to install! After doing this, I was able to fit them around the game's flippers, and it was just as easy as installing normal flipper rubbers.

After reading some forums about stretching the Super-Bands with your fingers as hard as you can, using a screwdriver to help guide the Super-Bands over the flippers, or greasing the flipper bat with Novus to make the Super-Bands easier to slip on, I found this trick worked the best.

The nice thing about making the Super-Bands hotter is that they will grip the flipper tighter as they cool down. You won't ever have the problem of them sliding off during a game. Also, since the heat will naturally expand the Super-Bands, they will fit around the flipper easier and not risk breaking or ripping by being stretched beyond their natural limit.

Anybody else tried this?

Josh

#2 5 years ago

Never had a problem getting them on or having them slip off... Seems like it would work well if you were having trouble though.

#3 5 years ago

I put mine in HW for a few minutes last night before I installed them on my IM... I think using boiling water is unnecessary.
    They went on pretty easy

#4 5 years ago

Pretty good idea, and I doubt that Dr. Joe would object. installing 2" Super Bands in hell on AC/DC was very, very difficult.

#5 5 years ago

Another alternative . Very easy and effective.

#6 5 years ago

Just installed 4 on my Grand Lizard with green mirror flippers, hot H20 was brought in after fighting with the first one, also microwaved one for 5 sec before worked too, but depends on the wattage of your microwave....I think hot water is safest. But those are serious tight rubbers

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

Another alternative . Very easy and effective.

Better hope that flipper bat doesn't break when installing them the way you did. Did your method work? Yes.
    I'm betting someone out there already effed up there playfield and their thumb and fingers putting them on that way.

#8 5 years ago

Installed 3 sets this past weekend. I found them easy to install: stand behind the fat end, hook over fat end, thumbs back-to-back inside rubber, push forward, it's on. It's a harder push, but not outrageous. No blood or permanent injury. Full disclosure: I am a big ape.

I like them so far, they have the 'deadness' of black rubbers but are pretty and shiny. Play different but not wildly so. Can save more with the lack of 'bounciness' then I would ever lose due to a miscalculated bounce (like on a dead-flipper bounce pass).

Will most likely order more.

Don C.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from hank35:

Better hope that flipper bat doesn't break when installing them the way you did. Did your method work? Yes.
    I'm betting someone out there already effed up there playfield and their thumb and fingers putting them on that way.

Slides on very smooth and easy. In fact this method is shown in my' Super Bands made easy' video tutorial. The solution method I use makes Super Bands smoother and easer than putting on standard flipper rubbers .You are paranoid for no reason . Don't knock it till you've tried it .

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from hank35:

How?

Granted I would put them on from the fat end of the flipper towards the skinny end, but how would the bat break or the playfield get damaged?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Xenon75:

How?

Granted I would put them on from the fat end of the flipper towards the skinny end, but how would the bat break or the playfield get damaged?

I'm familiar with the product as I've installed 4 sets on two different machines. As mentioned above, I used my thumbs to brace the back/front of the flipper bat to stretch the bands into position. Unless I got super tight bands, these required a lot of effort to put on...and don't tell me they install smooth and easy either, cause they don't. Watch your video and see the blood exit your fingers as you wrestle those rings on. Search this group and you'll find hundreds of posts from others who found these didn't install "smooth and easy" either.

I recommend bracing the bat while stretching the bands onto the bat. That's all I'm saying.

And for the love of Pete, please put a shirt on.

3 weeks later
    #12 5 years ago

Funny, I may be the only person in this hobby that would say I had absolutely no trouble putting these things on verses normal rubber. As a matter of fact, they may have actually been a smidgen easier.

235409.jpg 235410.jpg
    #13 5 years ago

I have a harder time putting on a condom.

#14 5 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "That's funny right there"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pinball Haus
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.95
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    £ 32.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 149.00
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Maple Street Sign Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside