Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by brg126
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I picked up a capcom BS recently, plays great and looks amazing. Fun game at a good price. But, it has a few switches not registering at the moment. I know Capcom had crappy thin wiring that is known to cause issues, so it may be related to that.

I checked the power on the wiring harnesses, and I am not getting anything of course. The thing throwing me for a loop is switch 52 and 54, the only two working items in the column.

In the column:
49 - switch out
50 - switch out
51 - switch out
52 - Standup working
53 - Opto not working
54 - Opto Working
55 - Standup not working

all other switches are working just fine, including switches in the rows these are all located in.

Any thoughts? I did start reading http://www.pinrepair.com/capcom/...

#2 7 years ago

Capcom pins are notorious for having too thin of wire on the switch matrix and a break kills others.

I'd grab a meter and check the common color wire from each switch back to the board.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

They all have the red / green wire in common. I imagine it is somewhere along there. Seems odd that 2 switches that use the wire would work though.. Looks like I get to learn about crazy capcom wiring!

#4 7 years ago

Non-verified accounts are nothing but liars and trolls. They can't be helpful.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip! That helps me narrow it down. Will traces the wire and report back.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

They all have the red / green wire in common. I imagine it is somewhere along there. Seems odd that 2 switches that use the wire would work though.. Looks like I get to learn about crazy capcom wiring!

Just tracked down wiring issues on mystery castle. Check the diodes as well. I tested my game with two different working boards and was getting different results with the same boards. One board had only 1 switch in the column working. The other had multiple switches that worked. Fixing the diode leads that snapped off fixed the issues with both boards.

#7 7 years ago

Found the break! Followed the wire to the second switch in the line, and found that someone made a soldering mistake at some point. The put the outbound wire on the wrong post, so it was only connected when the switch was closed. Holding the switch closed actually fixed the other 5 switches down the line. A quick re-solder fixed it right up! Breakshot is back in action.

Thanks for assistance all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 209.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-switches-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.