(Topic ID: 95794)

Breakshot still doesnt boot: Replaced CPU, power driver, DMD power supply boards

By pbk

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've posted about this machine before ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/capcom-breakshot-dmd-went-out-during-play-hasnt-come-back-since ), but I just replaced the power driver board. However it still doesn't boot. I get the 'GI' (even though it's not traditional GI) but nothing else. LED 1 on the cpu briefly lights up when I turn the machine on but it turns right off and doesn't flash again. I'm at my wit's end; might just fold it up, rent a truck and drive it to someone who can figure it out. But I might as well ask first, right? Maybe I'm missing something. I can take pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

Voltage, voltage, voltage. Get a meter and make sure you start reading voltage at the test points. Wrote down what you have.

Marc

#3 9 years ago

Definitely check those voltages. Once you determine that those are what they should be, you can start looking at the CPU with a logic probe or scope to see if the CPU is running...

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the swift responses. I'm a big newb at electronics however. I just want to make sure that I don't short anything and blow up this board or anything. I have a multimeter, what should I be doing here? How do I tell where the test points are? Should I just be calling a technician?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from pbk:

Should I just be calling a technician?

Probably.

YouTube has videos on how to use a meter and the power supply outputs are marked. But I wouldn't learn in a game. I'd practice on basic electronics at a table first.

LTG : )™

#6 9 years ago

Thanks again LTG. You're a true hero I'll be talking with a technician in the coming weeks. I'll update this thread when I have more news.

2 years later
#7 6 years ago

Ever figure this out?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 209.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Caro, MI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/breakshot-still-doesnt-boot-replaced-cpu-power-driver-dmd-power-supply-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.